Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2008, 01:32   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 39
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Need advice on selling bmw x5 run flat tires (then getting new ones)

i want to get normal 255/55 r18 tyres and not run flats that came stock with the x5 e70. i have barely 1000 km on the car, and was wondering what would be the best method to sell them off, and purchase normal tyres of the same size.

these are the ones i have on right now: click here
and here

bmw have told me selling price per wheel is 30,000/-. on the website it says 440 dollars which is about 18,000, hence with all the import duties, 30,000 seems to be acceptable.

does anyone know how much normal tyres of the same aspect ratio, wheel size will cost me? where can i buy them from?

thanks for the help in advance.
x5india is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 09:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Its a technology at a cost. Read that you can drive on the run-flats for 80km or plus and then you may have to dump these tyres and get new ones!!!

Is it true?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 09:17   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Its a buyer's market for these odd size OE tyres.
Inform a few popular dealers in ur city about the tyres. They should go for an ok price.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 11:10   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 313
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5india View Post
i want to get normal 255/55 r18 tyres and not run flats that came stock with the x5 e70. i have barely 1000 km on the car, and was wondering what would be the best method to sell them off, and purchase normal tyres of the same size.

these are the ones i have on right now: click here
and here

bmw have told me selling price per wheel is 30,000/-. on the website it says 440 dollars which is about 18,000, hence with all the import duties, 30,000 seems to be acceptable.

does anyone know how much normal tyres of the same aspect ratio, wheel size will cost me? where can i buy them from?

thanks for the help in advance.
No tyre co. is getting RUNFLATS on their own so there is shortage of RFTs
i think so you should be able to sell off your RFTs easily.
Non-RFTs should be around 18K.
itzzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 11:18   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,729
Thanked: 89,220 Times
Default

Though run-flats aren't available easily, I doubt there would be too many potential buyers for RFTs with the size / spec of X5 rubber.

Butttttttttttttttttttttt I do see, and agree with, a change back to regular tyres. Maybe your BMW dealership will be the best place to trade?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 13:28   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

I doubt BMW will trade with normal tyres Rush. They're quite anal about these things unless you're firm with them.

X5- Best option is what itzzme said, ask around some of the bigger dealers in Delhi, they'll be the best place to trade these tyres in.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 18:08   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,729
Thanked: 89,220 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I doubt BMW will trade with normal tyres Rush. They're quite anal about these things unless you're firm with them.
Okay, no trade. What about a simple buy back? Am sure there would be another X5 owner somewhere who may be looking for exactly these tyres?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 18:30   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
ram_hyundai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calicut ,trisur
Posts: 2,019
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

30,000 rs per piece,WOAH.I seriously doubt if there would be any takers for them.Anyways you can post it on the classifieds section.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 18:47   #9
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,708
Thanked: 8,929 Times
Default

Ive heard if you change the tyres to non Run flat types BMW voids the warranty,Is it true?
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 23:34   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 39
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Ive heard if you change the tyres to non Run flat types BMW voids the warranty,Is it true?
thanks for all the replies. i should have done this even before delivery, though i never actually knew how rough the ride is over patchy roads. even my new crv is better.

i am not sure if bmw will void warranty, though they cannot tell me what tyres i can and cannot put on once these wear down.

normal ones are 18 a piece? still expensive.

yes, these can be driven at speeds up to 80 km/h and a distance of some 150 kms, hence they work without having no air pressure inside them. thats why the sidewalls are so strong. at the bmw event i went to in pune, they told me each tyre weighed 50 kg!

bmw in general does not service runflats (only dunlops can be repaired) but the service guy said they will do it because a new one is very expensive.

bmw are idiots for not having fit their cars with normal tyres! i say have runflats when the roads are good. but nothing is ever good in india!
x5india is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 12:45   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,202
Thanked: 2,094 Times
Default

x5india , go thru my thread incase you haven't already http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...rs-mumbai.html (Run-Flat tyre dealers in Mumbai?)

In a nutshell, you are better of sticking with your run flats until they wear out as the buybacks are ridiculous. Fortunately the run flats are suppose to have a short thread life so i am looking to switch over to regular tubeless once they wear out.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 12:47   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,202
Thanked: 2,094 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Ive heard if you change the tyres to non Run flat types BMW voids the warranty,Is it true?
False. Warranty stays.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 00:56   #13
BHPian
 
VIPER_SRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 432
Thanked: 171 Times
Default

Had a bad weekend, my front passemger tire did hit a pothole at around 45-50 mph and I felt something might have gone wrong; I could feel the vibration in my steering on my way home, saw a big bulge on the sidewall. The shock was too strong but the tire didnt blast though. Its just been a month, I took the delivery and I feel low, for car going into garage

Well I called up the dealer today morning and she says the tire cost $315 (225/45/R17 Bridgestone), fortunately I bought tire and wheel coverage along with the car for 5 yrs.

What material is the sidewall made off! Its as strong as a steel if you feel it.
I dont know whether its an advantage or a dis-advantage to have run-flat tires but for my other cars you can just fix the flat tire and you are good to go.

Anshuman: BMW will not void your warranty for Tires/Wheels. They will not cover warranty for the replaced ones, I guess

Last edited by VIPER_SRT : 20th May 2008 at 00:59.
VIPER_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 21:27   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 49
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
Had a bad weekend, my front passemger tire did hit a pothole at around 45-50 mph and I felt something might have gone wrong; I could feel the vibration in my steering on my way home, saw a big bulge on the sidewall. The shock was too strong but the tire didnt blast though. Its just been a month, I took the delivery and I feel low, for car going into garage

Well I called up the dealer today morning and she says the tire cost $315 (225/45/R17 Bridgestone), fortunately I bought tire and wheel coverage along with the car for 5 yrs.

What material is the sidewall made off! Its as strong as a steel if you feel it.
I dont know whether its an advantage or a dis-advantage to have run-flat tires but for my other cars you can just fix the flat tire and you are good to go.

Anshuman: BMW will not void your warranty for Tires/Wheels. They will not cover warranty for the replaced ones, I guess

They use Kevlar in Run Flat tires, the stuff Bullet proof vests are made of.
bobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Run-Flat Tyres : All you need to know Akshay1234 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 70 30th April 2017 13:47
The Breakfast ride thread ( The ones we attended & the upcoming ones ) harishnayak Superbikes & Imports 6 13th December 2011 11:54
Run-Flat tyre dealers in Mumbai? Sahil Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 25 13th July 2010 15:15
Flat Tires? No problem...keep on driving.... hyper-VTEC Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 6 2nd November 2006 19:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks