Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 24th March 2016, 13:16   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Tyre losing air pressure & fast!

^^ For all four tyres to lose the exact same amount of air, it should be a faulty guage or filling when hot.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 12:42   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
^^ For all four tyres to lose the exact same amount of air, it should be a faulty guage or filling when hot.
This time (after retirnunbg from long drive) I topped up 34 psi of Nitrogen before 5 days (driven for 125 kms in all these 5 days), and when i checked the pressure today, i lost 1 PSI evenly in all 4 tyres.

Called up VW and they said that it is because of summer temperature it is so, also they said that the frequency of air check will only increase(to twice in a week) in case of those using Normal air . But i am not convinced. How can the Nitrogen pressure(whose molecule size is high) gets reduced so fast in a span of 5 days.
if i have to do a top up every week(considering this current situation),the cost would come to Rs 180/month. The main problem is that rather than spending money the mere thinking of having a faulty or low quality product in my vehicle especially something related to safety when i travel long frequently is bothering me and running at the back of my mind constantly.

Since the pressure is reducing evenly in all tyres, i suspect no fault in value or pins, I am wondering if the quality of compound used in Good year tyres may be the reason(not sure) - What do you guys think of this? Do you think exchanging my stock tyres to Michelin Xm2 will solve my problem.I have got a good deal from lal tyres-Whites road - Exchange price of 2500Rs/Good year tyre which is run 4000 kms(new tyre cost is 3500rs) and new Michelin Xm2 at 5600Rs/tyre.
Can any of fellow Bhpians having Michelin Xm2 in their cars comment their experience during summer with Michelin tyres.
anandharamanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 15:17   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandharamanp View Post
i lost 1 PSI evenly in all 4 tyres.
Good, so difference is coming down.
And/or probable difference in ambient temp, tyre temp from previous incident to this one.
Most of the time, air pressure gauges at petrol pumps aren't well calibrated.
If you are particular about correct measurements, please invest in good quality air pressure gauge or better still buy portable air compressor/pump.
Quote:
Since the pressure is reducing evenly in all tyres, i suspect no fault in value or pins, I am wondering if the quality of compound used in Good year tyres may be the reason.
Tyre compound leading to air loss, not so directly. Don't jump to this conclusion, But if you wish to use this incident for tyre change, please go ahead
Don't know tyre age or current tread wear, but don't think air loss would be directly related. Hardened rubber, bald tread can lead to frequent punctures but not even air loss across all tyres.
Quote:
Can any of fellow Bhpians having Michelin Xm2 in their cars comment their experience during summer with Michelin tyres.
Never experienced any issue with XM2 in last 3 summers although I fill regular air myself via portable air inflator.
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 15:49   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This time (after retirnunbg from long drive) I topped up 34 psi of Nitrogen before 5 days (driven for 125 kms in all these 5 days), and when i checked the pressure today, i lost 1 PSI evenly in all 4 tyres.

Called up VW and they said that it is because of summer temperature it is so, also they said that the frequency of air check will only increase(to twice in a week) in case of those using Normal air . But i am not convinced. How can the Nitrogen pressure(whose molecule size is high) gets reduced so fast in a span of 5 days.
if i have to do a top up every week(considering this current situation),the cost would come to Rs 180/month. The main problem is that rather than spending money the mere thinking of having a faulty or low quality product in my vehicle especially something related to safety when i travel long frequently is bothering me and running at the back of my mind constantly.

Since the pressure is reducing evenly in all tyres, i suspect no fault in value or pins, I am wondering if the quality of compound used in Good year tyres may be the reason(not sure) - What do you guys think of this? Do you think exchanging my stock tyres to Michelin Xm2 will solve my problem.I have got a good deal from lal tyres-Whites road - Exchange price of 2500Rs/Good year tyre which is run 4000 kms(new tyre cost is 3500rs) and new Michelin Xm2 at 5600Rs/tyre.
Quite frankly, I do not think you need to change your tyres. Losing 1 psi over 5 days is not an earth shattering event, and the fact that you are losing air evenly in all 4 tyres shows that there is nothing abnormal with your tyres. Always fill air early in the morning, so that the tyre temperature has come down during the night. Fill regular oxygen or nitrogen, no problem with either gas. For the first time, I have had to look up the molecular size of nitrogen and oxygen, thanks to your post. While oxygen is marginally smaller than nitrogen, the difference is very marginal, only 2.6% smaller. http://www.getnitrogen.org/pdf/graham.pdf

So, please relax and don't fret so much. Tyres do lose some air with time and it is very normal to have to top up your tyre pressures once a week or once in two weeks. Believe me, the heavens wont fall if you are running on 2-4 psi higher or lower.
Lalvaz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 18:20   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
And/or probable difference in ambient temp, tyre temp from previous incident to this one.

The difference came down because i had driven only 125 kms spread over 5 days, whereas last time i had driven around 650 kms last time on the highway.
Old 30th March 2016, 20:11   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Most of the time, air pressure gauges at petrol pumps aren't well calibrated.
If you are particular about correct measurements, please invest in good quality air pressure gauge or better still buy portable air compressor/pump.

Never experienced any issue with XM2 in last 3 summers although I fill regular air myself via portable air inflator.
Do you have any suggestions for a good quality pressure guage(digital)/portable pressure pump. Thanks.
Old 30th March 2016, 21:58   #142
BHPian

Similar observation. The rear tyres of my Zest had both lost 2 PSI more compared to the front tyres. All of them had been filled to 34 PSI 2 weeks ago. Could parking the car in the hot sun (sometimes at angles where the front and rear tyres do not see the same amount of sunshine over the course of the day) contribute to this ?
perty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 09:27   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have any suggestions for a good quality pressure guage(digital)/portable pressure pump. Thanks.
Have dedicated thread for this topic, check last few pages in this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...foot-pump.html (Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump)

I use LIMI portable compressor made by a company in Pune, mayn't available across India.
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 10:20   #144
BHPian

Quote:

A one PSI even drop across all the tires is probably just due to changes in the ambient temperature. In the summer, even late in the evening the tarmac temperature is reasonably high so it's not something that I would be overly bothered by. Just out of curiosity since you don't have a gauge of your own, how do you know the pressure went down?

Don't change your tires of this is the only reason to change them. The new tires will likely give you the same result. But if you want to upgrade, I think you are getting a good deal on the tires. Take a look at the MC5's, I am using them on my GT and am very happy.
VellVector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 11:23   #145
BHPian

Quote:
The difference came down because i had driven only 125 kms spread over 5 days, whereas last time i had driven around 650 kms last time on the highway.
I agree that the loss in pressure seems bit too much.

May I suggest a few things to rule out "spikes" in readings?

Fill in +3 PSI (for. e.g. 35 PSI) from recommended pressure (just for this test).
preferably at cold condition. Immediately measure with your gauge & set it accurately. (i.e. if pressures are off by +/- 0.5 PSI, bring all of the pressures to same level, by releasing the excess 0.5 from respective tyres)

1.1 If possible, fill in air for your alternate vehicle & check with your gauge .( to rule out the "precision" error of the gauge)

2. Check every alternate morning for 2 weeks @ approximately same time ~ 7AM / 7:30AM
(this will ensure readings taken at similar temp/cold condition)

3. If you are using digital gauge, make sure you reset/switch off&on before you take the next reading.

4. If you see consistent (AIR pressure) drop of 2+ PSI over a week, then I would agree, that this is slightly below expected normal.

Please make sure:
The parking is on level ground & not inclined.
Important- make sure you aren't "losing" lot of air while measuring

Caution:
Filling in +3 PSI may cause slightly lower traction, loss of grip. Nothing too drastic, but, please account for this & drive safer/slower than usual.
This recommendation is strictly for this test & to rule out offset reading probability.

Let's see how your tyres hold pressure over 2 weeks time.

Ace.
driverace is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016, 11:50   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
Just out of curiosity since you don't have a gauge of your own, how do you know the pressure went down?

Don't change your tires of this is the only reason to change them. The new tires will likely give you the same result. But if you want to upgrade, I think you are getting a good deal on the tires. Take a look at the MC5's, I am using them on my GT and am very happy.
Purposely i went to the same bunk on early morning for doing a pressure check (and opted for same machine from which i refilled last time) and found the pressure to be low by 1 psi evenly on 6th day morning.

I can attribute this pressure loss to FE directly because when i start from chennai to my home town (250 kms) with 34 psi cold pressure the car returns me a FE of 22kmpl. When i drive back from my hometown i get only 20 KMPL - Distance travelled, time of journey, even better traffic conditions, similar load. After reaching chennai when i do a cold pressure check the next day, i find the pressure decreased by 4-5 psi.

On a comparative note this does not happen to my dad's Michellin in his 10 year old Accent (with rusted wheels ), when he drives the same distance and goes back, the pressure loss is barely minimum if any. and he does a refill only once in 3 months. I am not too greedy and aspiring for a 3 month once air check but at the same i really hate doing it multiple times within a month.
Old 1st April 2016, 12:22   #147
Senior - BHPian

Actually it does not matter how accurate the air pressure gauge is, as you want to know the differential. Just buy any gauge with a dial, the bigger the better. Overfill the air in all your tyres, including the spare. Now using your gauge set the air pressure in all the 5 tyres to the same value by beading a bit of the air.

Check the pressure regularly, but remember every time you are checking air pressure a bit of it is leaking out. I would suggest checking once a week, at the same time of the day.

. If there is similar reduction in all the 5 tyres, then the air is leaking through the tyre walls.
. If the spare leaks the least (or not at all) then the leaks are normal.
. In my Alto K10 which runs for less than 200km/month the tyre pressure drops from 30 to 20 in one year.

Last edited by Aroy : 1st April 2016 at 12:25.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2016, 16:31   #148
BHPian

Here is an update on the Tyre upgrade that i did recently:

I upgraded to Michelin XM2 (size being the same 185/60/R15) from OEM Good year tyres on April 1.

Commercials: Cost of a new piece of Good year tyre was 3200 on Apr 1 and i got an exchange price of 2500 per tyre which has run a mileage of 4100 kms ie 10% of Good year's life, hence i need to subtract 10% cost also ies 350 approx from the differential of 700 - which means i have lost only 350 per tyre for the upgrade, which i feel is a very good deal. Cost of 1 piece of XM2 was 5200/-

on a separate note, I also bought Michelin pressure guage through online for 1800Rs.

My experience so far: Michelin is far far superior to OEM Good year's in the following ways:
1) Butter smooooooth
2) Cornering is done with much more confidence (i could not feel any difference in acceleration)
3) relatively better grip - yet to test the wet grip (i think i can do that only by November in tamil nadu)
4) on top of everything the rapid pressure loss that i experienced in OEM Good year tyres as described in above thread was completely gone. On April 1, when i purchased it, nitrogen was filled to a psi of 35 and after 22 days, when i checked the tyre pressure using Michelin tyre pressure guage, i was surprised to see the cold* pressure in all the tyres remained at 35 psi with no pressure loss. All these 22 days the car was driven on same road conditions, same summer weather, distance and travel times and load. While my earlier Good year lost 1 psi for every 6 days, XM2 was rock solid eve after 22 days which brings a big smile in my face

Now i need not worry about refilling air every week, moving forward i have an option of refilling nitrogen whenever i go for refilling diesel.

Michelin rocks!
anandharamanp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote