Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2005, 20:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Skoda 1.9 Tdi Chip and Tyre Modifications

i had recently bought the SKODA 1.9 TDI rider version and made a few mods like sunroof, 16inch alloys, FALKEN 215/60 R16's, leather seats and a music sys includin a 12" Velocity Subwoofer, 4speakers and 4tweeters....and now from outside it just looks like a L&K, except that it has the same bodykit of an RS which is abt 40,000 bucks....

and you might be thinkin Im crazy doin all this on a TDI and at the end it costs at around 14 lakhs for the whole thing......a price for which i could have got an RS....but i looked for better mileage and I am getting 15km right now after just 2000km's!!!!!.....

and now Im thinkin about makin some engine mods too....so if anyone out there knows how much a diesel engine can take...plz lemme know...

and also is GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 better than the Pirellie's??.....and anyplace i can get some cool car accesories???? also lemme know if you have any ideas for car mods...

NOTE FROM MODERATOR: PLEASE DO NOT USE SMS LANGUAGE HERE. THIS IS A FORUM, TRY AND MAINTAIN THE QUALITY. We have corrected it this time seeing that you are new to the forum.

Last edited by Rtech : 8th February 2005 at 20:45.
Old 8th February 2005, 21:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

An ECU upgrade is available for the octavia tdi, it increases the output to 110bhp and is available off the net for around 500 pounds. check out this site http://www.superchips.co.uk

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 8th February 2005 at 21:28.
Old 8th February 2005, 22:30   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

and you might be thinkin Im crazy doin all this on a TDI and at the end it costs at around 14 lakhs for the whole thing......a price for which i could have got an RS....but i looked for better mileage and I am getting 15km right now after just 2000km's!!!!!.....
Dude, no offence but you spent 14 lakhs including so much money on a sunroof, 215 Falkens, 16" alloys, leathers, a full blown sound system...and now you care about average? The chips going to cost you another couple of ten grand.

Might as well have got a 1.8 T Rider version, kitted it up...and put the money you save in a fixed deposit. The monthly interest would have made up for the petrol/diesel difference and you would be happy flying with that scorcher of an engine.

GTO
Old 8th February 2005, 22:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

hey guys the thing is, the Rider1.8 wasn't available at the time i got the car.....and the RS meant i hav to spend more on the car AND on petrol which is abt 10-12rs more than diesel...but for 14lakhs....i've got the 1.9 which looks like and RS(NO XENON LAMP)...got everyting else...including the vRS badge
Old 8th February 2005, 23:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Okay so i didnt have the 1.8 petrol option when i bought my octavia a year back.. so i guess im stuck with the diesel for now but hey im not complaining, the sheer amount of torque that car develops at low rpms is so damn addictive!

Kartik: The superchip option that drifter gave you is a good one, although like that there are several companies offering chipping throughout europe and america... BUT... there is only one hitch... that u have to take the car personally to their dealer/center to get it rechipped!! So that option is pretty much ruled out for us.

I am currently in the process of upgrading my skoda as well. Designing a brand new Ground Effect Bodykit with a new grill and spoiler to go alongwith. Should be ready by mid-

Other stuff on my car include replacement tail lights, carbon fibre interior dashboard kit and is running on 235/45/R17s. I know most of you will complain that theyre too wide, but i have them on for a reason.

Meanwhile, we have three other performance upgrades on offer:

1. Electronic Diesel Injection Pump Enhancer: 20bhp @ Rs.39,500

2. a. Replacement High Capacity Injectors: 10bhp @ Rs.19,500

or

b. Replacement High Capacity/Optimized Flow & Atomization: 20bhp @ Rs.32,500

3. Replacement Free Flow Exhaust : 5bhp @ Rs.7500

Note: It is a fact that cold air intakes such as K&N do not provide any addiotional power gain in the 1.9tdi. But you can always put one if u want it so bad no one is stopping you! hehe.

I can provide u with our road test opinions of the final power gain only after march coz my car would be stranded in the workshop until then

Cheers,

Arush
Old 8th February 2005, 23:02   #6
bhp
BHPian

how about some pics dude ...
Old 8th February 2005, 23:04   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
got everyting else...including the vRS badge
And how embarassed would you be when a Palio 1.6 pulls up next to you at the stoplight, and smokes your car to the next light

In Germany, many people remove the badging from their AMG's and M's and run them as sleeper cars. It's always fun to suprise someone!!
Old 8th February 2005, 23:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
And how embarassed would you be when a Palio 1.6 pulls up next to you at the stoplight, and smokes your car to the next light

In Germany, many people remove the badging from their AMG's and M's and run them as sleeper cars. It's always fun to suprise someone!!
Completely agree with Rtech I thought it would be fun to re-badge my RS to a 1.9TDI for kicks.

Satyam.
Old 9th February 2005, 03:28   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
and also is GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 better than the Pirellie's??
Well you are going to have to specify exactly which Eagle F1s and exactly which model of Pirellis you are looking at.

However, if you want to spend some big money, the goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 are prettymuch the best tires u can buy off the shelf in India.

cya
R
Old 9th February 2005, 04:37   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=autopsyche

Note: It is a fact that cold air intakes such as K&N do not provide any addiotional power gain in the 1.9tdi. But you can always put one if u want it so bad no one is stopping you! hehe.
[/QUOTE]
Does the K&N provide no power gain in any other car too? or is it just that it doesnt work on diesels? If i put one in my accord will i get any increase in power/mileage?How much will **** cost for my car?
Old 9th February 2005, 10:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sahil, its basically around the priniciple that "Less Cold Air" is always better than "More hot Air"

Since most of the filters that we are fitting directly into the engine compartment without any cold air induction kit are pretty much against that principle. For the 1.9tdi engine i had almost ordered a 200 pound air induction kit, but i was advised by experts that it hardly does anything.

However this doesnt apply to every car, there are different engine characteristics which determine the actual efficiency of a replacement filter. For our indian cars id definitely recommend fitting of a K&N to be as far away from the engine as possible, preferably with a seperator to block the hot engine air from surrounding the cone. I learnt it the hard way too and had initially installed a few filters directly without any modifications, but at that time the power gain was more psychological than actual.

Fitting a K&N air filter in your accord will definitely give u power gains and in combination with a header and a free flow exhaust im sre u can do v ery well with the added boost. Cost really depends where u are sourcing it from, can be anywhere between 4.5-6.5k just for the cone filter. You could also look for the original replacement filter by K&N incase u so not wish to go overboard with the peformance mods.

Last edited by autopsyche : 9th February 2005 at 10:40.
Old 10th February 2005, 17:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

so fitting a K&N filter would increase the performance huh...and what about the ECU?? anyplace where i can get this done..im also thinkin if fitting NEON's would look good on a skoda..blue neons on a silver octavia???
Old 10th February 2005, 19:54   #13
BHPian

Hi autopsyche,

Do we need any modification to put 235/45R 17 tyre on octavia???
I am planning to put 245/40R 17 tyre will i have any prob???

Regards,
Old 10th February 2005, 22:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

kartik: i would advise to avoid the filter replacement on your car if possible unless u want u show it off coz utility wise it would be negligible.

The ecu itself cannot be upgraded in india, u will have to take it to europe/america or wherever for chipping, but like i said before we have other tuning chips which connect into the ecu wiring to enhance the fuel injector pump giving u about 20bhp.

mahi: 235s are direct fit without any trouble, im not too sure about 245s coz i didnt try them at all and didnt even think about them, thats a bit too much dont u think? the only hazardous place would be the inside wall. just ask ur tyre guy to install one on a rim and fit on to the car for u to see if it touches in there either in the front or back, on full lock to lock turns, make sure u have atleast an inch of space left to compensate for road bumps while turning.

Last edited by autopsyche : 10th February 2005 at 22:34.
Old 10th February 2005, 22:48   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahi0375
Hi autopsyche,

Do we need any modification to put 235/45R 17 tyre on octavia???
I am planning to put 245/40R 17 tyre will i have any prob???

Regards,
Why would u wanna do that dude? 235 is waayyy to much for the octavia... it does have that much power to take the drag that these broad tyres produce....u r pick up and FE r going to go down the drain...leaving aside other suspension problem what would become prone.
My advice is , put 16incher with 205(will get gr8 performance and FE wouldnt drop much) or if u just have to get 17inchers then put 215 (upper limit) i wouldnt go even a notch above 215 for the octavia.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks