Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 4th September 2008, 23:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
These MRF tyres of the 18th century have been on my car since the 64000 km mark (MRF ZVTS in front) and the 74000 km mark (MRF ZTX at the rear). Previously I had JK Tornado from the 16th century which lasted the km mentioned in the previous sentence. All of these are on the stock steel rims of the 14th century Indica. As of yesterday, the 18th century tyres were still looking brand new.

How frequently did you gentlemen follow the archaic practice of checking tyre pressure when cold?
This gentleman checks it religiously every week and keeps it at 28 when cold in all tyres.
Alignment/balancing and rotating every 5 thousand km.
The slightest suspension/steering sound if any does come is rectified asap.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 00:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
These MRF tyres of the 18th century have been on my car since the 64000 km mark (MRF ZVTS in front) and the 74000 km mark (MRF ZTX at the rear). Previously I had JK Tornado from the 16th century which lasted the km mentioned in the previous sentence. All of these are on the stock steel rims of the 14th century Indica. As of yesterday, the 18th century tyres were still looking brand new.

How frequently did you gentlemen follow the archaic practice of checking tyre pressure when cold?
Ji, two things. Hard rubber grip less and last more.
And the life of a tyre is just one parameter of its performance.
Ride quality,Grip in wet/dry, cornering, braking ,etc are the rest.
If you consider MRFs good, you need to get introduced to Michelins and Yokohamas.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 19:32   #18
BANNED

humyum, thank you for clarifying. I asked because many people ignore tyre pressure and then crib when tyres go bad early. Can you please post some pictures of the tread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Ji, two things. Hard rubber grip less and last more.
And the life of a tyre is just one parameter of its performance.
Ride quality,Grip in wet/dry, cornering, braking ,etc are the rest.
If you consider MRFs good, you need to get introduced to Michelins and Yokohamas.
nitrous, thank you. I know that the life of a tyre is one parameter. I thought that was the parameter being discussed here with people quoting a life of 28K, 30K etc.

I'm sure Michelins and Yokohamas are deserving of all the praise this forum showers on them but that is no reason to abuse MRF.

Oh, and the other parameters are important to me too. On our national and state highways, which I frequent without consideration of rain or shine, day or night.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 19:44   #19
BHPian

Lightbulb

I fully support MRF. I have had the ZV2K's on my Elantra as OEM. I have done 20000 km & boy are they tough! Not even a puncture till now! Yes, they have grip when called upon to grip...& last-ability. This despite my rather rough driving.

I also have Michelin PP2's on my Sonata V6. I feel the grip levels on the PP2's are higher but not by that large a margin that people tend to think. Mind you that this camparo is with the top-end tyres of both manufacturers.

During moderate cornering both tyres tend to squeal more than they should.

Last edited by 1self : 5th September 2008 at 19:46.
1self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 19:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Well I have had the ZVTS on my car for about 32 k kms and they still have about 10 K left in them. The tyre noise is very high no doubts, but then I have had just 1 puncture over the last 3 years inspite of driving in all kinds of terrains (no offroading obviously but whatever I could throw at my ikon). I dont have too many reasons to complain against the tyre but yes, next tyre wont be ZVTS because I would like to have less tyre noise.

Oh and I had a small accident (hit a divider at a pretty high speed avoiding a moron) because of which the front tyre was rubbing against the body, but not only did the tyre not puncture or burst, it managed to take me home (10 kms) and to the service station 7-8 kms the next day. The grooves of the tyre were damaged in this process but I was okay with that (atleast It didnt leave me stranded in the middle of the night. BTW, the tyre is still with me and is good enough to be used as a stepney for emergencies

Last edited by sammyboy : 5th September 2008 at 19:55.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 12:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

hrag@ yes i ll post the pics of the tyres by today
1self@ yes mrfs are tough, super hard rubber,i havent had a punture in my 800 since about 2 years and i totally with nitrous Ride quality,Grip in wet/dry, cornering, braking are parameters in which mrfs have no class ,my friend has a zen with michelins and believe you me,whenever i have driven his car it feels like i am driving an altogether vehicle.Noise,vibrations,smoothness,grip is all fab.
@sammy: i have chadavofied the 800 too on a curb once and next day went to the tyre shop to check everything is okay and everything is pefect,including the rim,balancing and alignment tyre took all the impact with a smiling face and still is in perfect condition.
Old 7th September 2008, 13:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for addin a post but i forgot to ask this
I am planning for alloys and new tyres for the zen
What is the desired offset for the zen ? planning for 13 inchers.
Also is 155/70/R13 the right upsize or 155/65/R13 the right upsize?
Which company alloys should i go for??I want chrome finish.
Old 7th September 2008, 18:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Both 155/70 R13 & 155/65 R13 are fine but I would stick to 70 profile for better ride comfort. However, check with KP once that they do not foul with the arches.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 17:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Sorry for addin a post but i forgot to ask this
I am planning for alloys and new tyres for the zen
What is the desired offset for the zen ? planning for 13 inchers.
Also is 155/70/R13 the right upsize or 155/65/R13 the right upsize?
Which company alloys should i go for??I want chrome finish.
Which model Zen do u have? Carb of Mpfi?
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 19:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Which model Zen do u have? Carb of Mpfi?
MRF!!Tyres of the18th century-dsc00838.jpg

Here's the picture of the car,its an mpfi 2005 jan model.