Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 5th September 2008, 10:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

In the US they use a penny to see if Lincoln's head is a bit covered or not. If the head is clearly visible then the "tire" needs replacement. This is an old informal system that works well there. I think the one rupee coin thing is an imported and Indianised concept from this original US concept. It's always easier to look at the sign in the tyre itself than to bend down take a coin out etc etc. Cheers
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 10:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by mithun View Post
In tyres with no wear indicator, how can we make out that it's time to change the tyre ?

In some bike tyres, I couldn't find any wear indicator !
I'am not sure about the bikes, but in cars, as informed before, you can take what the patchyboy has written. This is recommended by tyre manufacturers.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 13:07   #18
Default Re: Coin Test for Tyre Wear checking

Read through the entire thread..
Still couldn't get a straightforward answer for this..

- In Two wheelers, at how many years / kilometers should we change the tyres?

I have two honda activa at home, and sparingly used only within city. When should I consider changing the tyres?
MadhanBabu is offline   Reply With Quote