Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 19th September 2008, 16:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Question Yokohama A.drive on Esteem, advice needed!

Hi dudes, a bit new here and need a bit of advice/opinions.

Got a new set of tyres on our Esteem after 7+ years. The OEM tyres that came with the car were 155/80 R13 GoodYear (GPS 2, if my memory serves me right).

Was going to go in for Michelin, but the premium price didd't quite sink in well. Next option was of course GoodYear, and the significantly lower pricing and past experience made it a very viable buy.

Well, finally ended up buying Yokohama A.drive (tubeless) as the pricing is intermediate, and most members seem to like it here. I had originally decided to stick to the stock size... but on being influenced by the dealer, went in for 175/70 R13. The dealer even showed me a size calcuator on his comp (Excel) that said the increase in diameter is only -0.5% which is well below the permitted 2 - 3%.

My questions/concerns are:

1) Is this size good for the stock steel rims of my car?

2) I noticed a small but noticable drop in pick up! Will this also translate to a loss in fuel efficiency? If yes, how much drop can I expect? This point makes me feel that I made a big mistake in going for these wider tyres...as even if it drops by 1 kmpl, as my current rate of gas consumption, it will make a significant difference!

3) How are these Yokohama A.drives (tubeless) rated in general? They sure seem to be of a softer compound. Will that mean they will have a lower lifespan?

4) Do tubeless tyres have lower air retention capability in general, than tubed tryes? I'v fitted them on my old OEM steel rims which have near to zero rust. Also, should the air-pressure be the same as what Maruti recommends for Esteem (26 psi)? Im considering upping the pressure a bit to compensate for the loss in pick up and possible drop in fuel efficiency. What pressure should I consider without significantly affecting the tyre/suspension life and ride quality?

Damn, I feel I should have stuck to the stock tyre size. The dealer said Yokos dont come in 155/80 R13 size. He also said this size will soon become obsolete. Is this true?

Thanks to all in advance!

Last edited by Samurai : 24th September 2008 at 20:09. Reason: excess smileys
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 23:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Not a single response??
Old 22nd September 2008, 09:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

1. 175/70 R13 is the OE fitment for the Esteem Vxi and also the right upsize for the LX/LXi series. So, you are absolutely fine with it on your stock rims. In fact, your ride quality should have improved.

2. Not sure why you are experiencing a drop in the pick up. Ideally, your FE should improve if not get any worse.

3. I dont have an experience with Yokohama and hence not able to comment on this one.

4. The air pressure that needs to be maintained is the same as your old tyre (26 psi). I have been running my Esteem on tubeless tyres for more than 3 years now with 26 psi and have not had any issues with that.

Hope this helps to an extent.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 09:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Right upsize. I have the same size Michelin XM1+ in my 2007 Esteem Lxi. But they are on Aura alloys. The gradual drop in air pressure could well be because the rims are not perfectly round and very small amount of air is gradually coming out - get the air checked on a regular basis for a few weeks. Also get the valves checked. If never replaced get them replaced. Should have ideally done it during the tyre change.
The rims you have in a 2001 car wasn't meant for tubeless tyres. Esteems started carrying tubeless from 2006 second half I think.
Yokohama is a very reputable global brand. Don't think they will sell a shoddy product here in today's world. When i was upgrading my tyres I was in a similar dilemma. In my case the dealer said price wise both are same.
I think you would have got better response if you had posted the question in the special section for tyres and wheels. Please request the mods to shift this thread to that section. In fact there is already a long discussion on right upsize for Esteem there.
Lastly check out the site Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tire Bible Page 2 of 2 it has everything that you wanted and did not want to know about tyres and wheels. It has a very smart calculator for upsizing where you can put the various values of stock tyres and new tyres and it will tell you the difference in rolling radius. I think your dealer used the same formula.
All the best with your new set of shoes.
Sudipto
Sudipto
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
My questions/concerns are:
1) Is this size good for the stock steel rims of my car?
Yes. Esteem rims are 4.5J, which can acommodate 175/70 tyres

Quote:
2) I noticed a small but noticable drop in pick up! Will this also translate to a loss in fuel efficiency?
Could be because of moving from bald&thin tyres to upsized new ones. Moght affect your FE. But then, Yokohama tyres should have lesser rolling resistance. I guess it is your 26 psi playing up

Quote:
I'v fitted them on my old OEM steel rims which have near to zero rust. Also, should the air-pressure be the same as what Maruti recommends for Esteem (26 psi)? Im considering upping the pressure a bit to compensate for the loss in pick up and possible drop in fuel efficiency. What pressure should I consider without significantly affecting the tyre/suspension life and ride quality?
I recently fitted Michelin XM1+ on my 8 year old rims. Watch your tyre pressure closely for a few days to ensure that tyres set in perfectly. I had a leak on one tyre, which was fixed by changing the valve tube (whatever thing which we use to fill air). Now they are fine.

Secondly, for aged I have been filling 30 psi on my Esteem with 175/70 tyres. Suggest you also do the same.

Quote:
Damn, I feel I should have stuck to the stock tyre size.
Don't worry, you have done the right thing. Hope you have done the alignment too. Good luck
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

isnt this supposed to be in the tyre thread?
anyways can someone throw some light on the rim sizes?
4.5j, 5j etc?

Last edited by frankmehta : 22nd September 2008 at 13:49.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 14:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Like said by all before, 175/70/13 is the right upsize for the esteem without compromising on ride. Ideally there should be no drop in FE or acceleration.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 14:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Frank
Go to the carbibles website whose link is given in an earlier post here. There is HID thrown on the subject there. 4.5 is inches. J is the type of the profile design of the wheel.
Sudipto
Old 22nd September 2008, 14:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Cool

Guys, thanks so much for your responses! It feels more reassuring now!!

Problem is that after the tyre fitment and balancing, the alignment guys told me that the "lower arm" of one of the front wheels has a play... and needs to be fixed/replaced at a service centre... and alignment before that will be useless. So the next day itself, I sent the car to a MAS for that and also denting/painting/insurance claim, and servicing... which takes several days, so have hardly been able to give the new shoes a try... as the only distance I drove was from the tyre shop to home. Should get it back this week, and will post my findings.

I am unable to comment on the air retention capability, as the car hasn't been with me from the very next morning. However, since the old rims dont have visible deformations and seem nearly rust free, I hope I dont have an air leak issue.

I felt that 26 psi pressure is a bit less for the Esteem... esp. for highway driving. I used to maintain around 28 - 29 in my old tubed GoodYears. Maintaining accurate tyre pressure is an uphill task, as I'v noticed MOST tyre gauges to be way innacurate...

As for the change in diameter, it is indeed -0.5% as the dealer said. So I guess I'll have to live with the small speedo/odo error; and keep my fingers crossed and hope that the decrease in rolling resistance compensates for wider tread width.

Quote:
I think you would have got better response if you had posted the question in the special section for tyres and wheels. Please request the mods to shift this thread to that section. In fact there is already a long discussion on right upsize for Esteem there.
Mods, may I request you to shift this thread to the appropriate section as suggested above?
Old 22nd September 2008, 15:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maintaining accurate tyre pressure is an uphill task, as I'v noticed MOST tyre gauges to be way innacurate...
Very correct. And this is a global problem.
Michelin sells an electronic tyre pressure gauge in India through select dealers. Costs Rs 2440.
Old 22nd September 2008, 18:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Ya, I saw a Michelling digital gauge at the dealer. I was elated... until he told me the price! Rs. 2500 for a tiny gauge!!!

Cant afford that. Can buy another tyre for that much moolah!!

How do you guys maintain your tyre pressures??

Mods, please do transfer this topic to the appropriate place as suggested in my last post.
Old 22nd September 2008, 18:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Generally a mixture of trust, faith and gut feel! Also when they overfill you know from the bumps. You can buy an ordinary one for yourself for about 100 bucks. don't trust it for too long.
Old 22nd September 2008, 19:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Raccoon - You've already received responses for your questions so I'm not goign to answer them again. But I think 26 psi is too low for your tyres & that might be causing a drop in acceleration/heavier steering.

I usually check the air pressure with a pressure gauge given free by Bridgestone under a scheme some time back! It's pretty accurate. I think you should experiment as to what psi your car works best with (If you don't have a gauge remember to use only one place to check the pressure & also remember to check them only when cold) and then stick to that one place maintaining the same pressure every time.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 22:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sudipto and Iraghava.

I was hoping for something more precise than gut feel, trust and faith. :( It is v difficult to check pressures when cold unless you have your own pump and an accurate gauge.

I feel about 29 psi works better for Esteem (at least it did on my stock tyres, and results in bit better pick-up... tho ride quality does become bit harder then when its 26, but its worth it). But if I maintain 29 - 30 psi on my new tubeless shoes, will it cause more tyre wear or something?
Old 24th September 2008, 16:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Couple more questions... hoping you guys will give your valuable advice -

Currently, I have changed only 4 Yoko tyres (175/80 R13) on my Esteem. The old stock Good Year (155/70 R13) stays on the spare wheel, because after fixing 4 tyres, the dealer said he dosen't have more Yokos in stock, and asked me to come after few days to get the 5th tyre.

Now, after spending on theseaid he dosen't have more Yokos in stock, and asked me to come after few days to get the 5th tyre.
and various other things on my car, I don'f feel like spending on the 5th tyre... unless absolutely necessary. What do you guys think? Will it be huge trouble in case of puncture? Since these are tubeless tyres, perhaps I could just buy a puncture repair kit and keep it in the car instead? In case of absolutely emergency, I would have the old GoodYear as the spare wheel for temporary use anyway... but then its a different brand and size. Also, I have kept one of the tubes from the old tyres, also for an emergency. Would it be advisable to use the old tyre for a short while in an emergency?

What do you guys do? Any advice/suggestions?