Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 22nd September 2008, 16:57   #1
BHPian

Default Tyre for Omni.

The tyres of Omni (1997 carb model) is due for change, currently running Goodyear G28 145 section which is excellent in all terms(Grip, Mileage etc etc).

Thinking of switching to tubeless tyres in this tyre change, checked a tyre shop in Lajpat Nagar for Tubeless options, Michelin and Bridgestone avaliable for Rs.1700 and Rs. 1900 per tyre. Is price okay?

My question is which one will be better, My driving is minimal which includes 60% highway drives and 40% on city roads.

Any other options in tubeless, the condition being Good grip and average mileage.

looking for new battery too, if I can ask here which one is better SF or Amaron considering the price difference is Rs. 300.

Thanks
Setu Niket
setuniket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 21:07   #2
BHPian

No replies yet! Waiting for suggestions.
Old 24th September 2008, 01:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Both Michelin & Bridgestone are good tyres. But before going for tubeless do make sure that your car's steel rims are not bent or rusted, both those things are a pain with tubeless tyres. Also, prices seem to be pretty decent.

P.S. Michelin does not have any tube type tyres in their range in India.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 01:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

If I were you, I'd go in for the Amaron anyday. I haven't had a very good experience with Exide in my vehicles. Have heard good reviews of Amaron. Also have an Amaron inverter batts... going good since 2 years or so.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 01:40   #5
BANNED

No upsize options ishaan? MAybe 15's shod with yokos or something!!
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 06:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Don't want to sound like a spoilsport but do get the rims checked by someone for the suitability of putting tubeless on them. It's quite unlikely for an 11 year old steel rim to be in perfect shape to take on tubeless tyres. However, the dealer might say "chalega" just to sell his tyres. Get an independent view.
Tubeless tyres need to have a perfect coupling with the rim so that there is no air loss. If the rim is not perfectly round air will continuously seep out and it will be a bigger headache.
Bu the way, what is the stock size of Omni tyres? Do these newly introduced foreign brands have tyres in that size?
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2008, 16:51   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
No upsize options ishaan? MAybe 15's shod with yokos or something!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Both Michelin & Bridgestone are good tyres. But before going for tubeless do make sure that your car's steel rims are not bent or rusted, both those things are a pain with tubeless tyres. Also, prices seem to be pretty decent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Don't want to sound like a spoilsport but do get the rims checked by someone for the suitability of putting tubeless on them. It's quite unlikely for an 11 year old steel rim to be in perfect shape to take on tubeless tyres. However, the dealer might say "chalega" just to sell his tyres. Get an independent view.
Tubeless tyres need to have a perfect coupling with the rim so that there is no air loss. If the rim is not perfectly round air will continuously seep out and it will be a bigger headache.
Bu the way, what is the stock size of Omni tyres? Do these newly introduced foreign brands have tyres in that size?
The tyre size is 145 R12. Yes, surpisingly almost every company has this size(which I didnt expect).

I will get the rims checked thoroughly by the time I buy a new set of Tyres. My main concern is mileage as the current set of Goodyear didnt last that long but provided awesome grip. If the tubeless ones cant be used I will stick to this tyre, worth every penny in terms of grip.