Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2012, 12:31   #196
BHPian
 
arjab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MAA/CCU
Posts: 640
Thanked: 1,157 Times
Default Re:Continental Tyres

Recently changed the Yokohama A-Drive's on my SWIFT Petrol to Continental EcoContact-3, 185/70 R-14's.
The Yoko's had given sterling service and had lasted close to 50,000 kms
(49,200 kms to be exact and now it had worn right down to the TWI's)

Have driven around 2200 kms after getting the Conti's fitted. Sharing with you my experience of the same :

> Very quiet compared to the Yoko's . There is hardly any tyre rumble.

> Ride comfort is superior compared to the Yoko's. There's a certain "cushiness" which was absent in the Yoko's.

> V.good wet road grip, especially in corners - very low susceptibility to aquaplaning (although i reserve my judgement in totality as the tyres are almost new and will get to know better when they are around 10-15k kms old)

> Good stability under braking. No untoward tramlining effects detected.

> Outright cornering grip is lesser than Yoko's. Detectable when you are going hard on reducing radius corners or trying to flick through a series of twisties. I put this down to the softer sidewalls which flexes more than the Yoko's. However, there is ample warning of any impending breakaway's.

> Air retention is ok. Lost 1-1.5psi (air, not nitrogen) on an average in a month's time. I am running 30 psi all round.

> No gain or loss in FE detected (tankfull - to - tankfull)
Attached Thumbnails
Continental tyres-23092012865.jpg  

Continental tyres-23092012860.jpg  

Continental tyres-23092012868.jpg  

Continental tyres-23092012867.jpg  

arjab is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2012, 20:58   #197
BHPian
 
rajeshchand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 266
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Get the MRF ZLO in 195/60-14. Substantially better than the CPC2.
Nikhil, need your advice on this issue.

I am planning to shift from RFTs on my X1 to regular tubeless, of course, i am looking at more comfort than the RFT comfort (very rough ride). But then the tyre needs to handle high speeds and braking ability without the driver missing couple of heartbeats on hard braking situations. I was looking at Conti tyres but after going through reviews on this forum i am skeptical. Which tyres do you recommend, of course considering that i need to keep the price down. I am a big Bridgestone fan and never liked the look of OEM Good year tyres on the X1, what is the word on Bridgestone nowadays. The tyre size i am talking about is 225 50 R 17. Need to change it this week since one of the RFTs is already bulged out on 15k km and not interested in going to the Beemer service center as obviously they would skim money and again replace with a RFT (though on warranty still they would charge on pro-rata basis while replacing, the cost with which i can buy 2 regular tubeless and better ride and comfort to go with it).

How are some of those brands like Hankook, Kumho and Yokohoma ?
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 14:27   #198
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,763
Thanked: 4,190 Times
Default Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post
Nikhil, need your advice on this issue.

I am planning to shift from RFTs on my X1 to regular tubeless, of course, i am looking at more comfort than the RFT comfort (very rough ride). But then the tyre needs to handle high speeds and braking ability without the driver missing couple of heartbeats on hard braking situations. I was looking at Conti tyres but after going through reviews on this forum i am skeptical. Which tyres do you recommend, of course considering that i need to keep the price down. I am a big Bridgestone fan and never liked the look of OEM Good year tyres on the X1, what is the word on Bridgestone nowadays. The tyre size i am talking about is 225 50 R 17. Need to change it this week since one of the RFTs is already bulged out on 15k km and not interested in going to the Beemer service center as obviously they would skim money and again replace with a RFT (though on warranty still they would charge on pro-rata basis while replacing, the cost with which i can buy 2 regular tubeless and better ride and comfort to go with it).

How are some of those brands like Hankook, Kumho and Yokohoma ?
Given the shortage of good tyres in 17" and above, go for anay 225/50-17 tyre you can get your hands on!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 16:30   #199
BHPian
 
rajeshchand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 266
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Given the shortage of good tyres in 17" and above, go for anay 225/50-17 tyre you can get your hands on!
I already bought Yoko Advan S Drive and costed me 39k after exchange of run-flats and some discounts (Only 3 tyres were exchanged).
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 16:22   #200
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,763
Thanked: 4,190 Times
Default Re: Continental tyres

I changed from Conti CPC2 205/65-15 on the Civic to Michelin PLC 195/65-15 about a month back.

To summarise my views on the Conti CPC2:

1. Very strong sidewalls. While doing the wheel balancing, I realised that 2 rims were bent visibly. However, not a scratch on the tyres. This is a testament to the durability of the sidewall. I would highly recommend this tyre for people concerned about driving on bad roads.

2. Gets noisy towards the end of it's life. It was really noisy over the last 10,000 kms.

3. Ride comfort deteriorates badly as the tyre wears. The ride quality which was on the firmer side to begin with became unbearably stiff for me personally.

4. Grip levels were very good initially but got slightly worse as the tyre wore. In the wet though, this tyre is really really good.

5. Have had only 2 punctures in the 37,000 kms I used them.

6. Even at the end of 37,000 kms, the tyres still had life in them but I decided to change the tyres because the ride became too bad for me.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2012, 19:19   #201
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 47
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Continental tyres

Friends, The Goodyear NCT5 on my fiesta 1.6 S is due for replacement. Kindly suggest a better alternative that would be less noisy and able to withstand bad roads.
SRK72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 22:35   #202
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Continental tyres

Dear all,

I have been running the OEM Conti SC2 tyres for the past 50K km. Very satisfied with the performance & quality. Have driven on a lot of rough roads and no punctures or tyre damage. Now at the end of their life the road noise has increased but that's understandable at 50K km!

Can anyone help me with a dealer in Delhi/ Gurgaon where I can find genuine Continental tyres? Also good equipment for fitment?

Thanks
gaumish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 16:40   #203
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The World
Posts: 22
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: Continental tyres

I have Continental Extreme Contact DWS 245/40 ZR 18 93Y s for my BMW 530i. I got these from the US along with the alloys through a friend who ordered a container. Now one tire is damaged due to impact and am unable to find the same tire anywhere in India. Can someone help me find this tire. I just need one tire. I found it online in the US and shipped it to my brother who was coming down for vacation from the US. But the airlines people told him that he cant carry it with him even like a check-in baggage. So he had to return them. Now i dont know how i can get just one tire. Looked everywhere in India for this tire but no success. If someone could find me this tire, It would be of great help.
avi_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 16:33   #204
BHPian
 
balenopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai/Pune
Posts: 906
Thanked: 200 Times
Default Re: Continental tyres

Tyres on the Getz needed urgent replacement. The Michelin XM1's had completed over 50k km. Not really a Michelin fan, so took a call between the Yoko C-Drives and the Continental PremiumContact 2 with the latter winning my vote in 195/60 R14 size. Immediately did a Mumbai Pune drive with the first rains coming in as well. First impressions:

Ride Quality is simply superb and feels like an extra layer of cushion.
Extremely silent, Just switched to Pirelli P6 in the City, and this feels considerably quiter.
Grip was fantastic even in the first rains considering it gets extremely slippery.
The Getz is putting down its Monster torque quite well with the new found grip and as a result feels quicker.
Definitely recommended!
Attached Images
  
balenopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 18:58   #205
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,618
Thanked: 1,236 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
Tyres on the Getz needed urgent replacement. The Michelin XM1's had completed over 50k km. Not really a Michelin fan, so took a call between the Yoko C-Drives and the Continental PremiumContact 2 with the latter winning my vote in 195/60 R14 size. Immediately did a Mumbai Pune drive with the first rains coming in as well. First impressions:

Ride Quality is simply superb and feels like an extra layer of cushion.
Extremely silent, Just switched to Pirelli P6 in the City, and this feels considerably quiter.
Grip was fantastic even in the first rains considering it gets extremely slippery.
The Getz is putting down its Monster torque quite well with the new found grip and as a result feels quicker.
Definitely recommended!
Is the continental cpc 2 available in the size 185/65-14?
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 21:04   #206
BHPian
 
d_himan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 705
Thanked: 548 Times
Default Re: Continental tyres

Had a steering wobble. Turns out one front tyre has worn unevenly (the dealership did a tyre rotation - the tyre was on the rear wheel and i couldn't feel the wobble). The wheel wouldn't stand on the ground without support.

So, put in CPC2s on both the front wheels. With a heavy monsoon, I thought of having a good wet grip was important.

5.5K per tyre. Let's see how it goes..
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 23:45   #207
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,763
Thanked: 4,190 Times
Default Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Is the continental cpc 2 available in the size 185/65-14?
Nope. Only ContiEcoContact in that size.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 10:54   #208
BHPian
 
d_himan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 705
Thanked: 548 Times
Default Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Had a steering wobble. Turns out one front tyre has worn unevenly (the dealership did a tyre rotation - the tyre was on the rear wheel and i couldn't feel the wobble). The wheel wouldn't stand on the ground without support.

So, put in CPC2s on both the front wheels. With a heavy monsoon, I thought of having a good wet grip was important.

5.5K per tyre. Let's see how it goes..
Had put in 195/65s - the wet grip is phenomenal. It's been pouring in Mumbai and I never felt I was driving in the wet, even in high-speed stretches like THE Sea-link. After the NCTs, any tyre would be less noisy, so no comments on that.
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 16:12   #209
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 123
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Continental tyres

any recommendations for 215/40 R17s?

I've been a Bridgestone fan through and through, hearing mixed stuff on continentals in the 16"+ sizes.

Bridgestone do the Adrenalin Potenza RE001s and the asymmetric treads are on 19"+ which is okay for the smaller sizes.

Or probably the Pirelle PZeros though they could be really expensive..
shefiu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 09:18   #210
Senior - BHPian
 
ST7677's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I changed from Conti CPC2 205/65-15 on the Civic to Michelin PLC 195/65-15 about a month back.

To summarise my views on the Conti CPC2:

1. Very strong sidewalls. While doing the wheel balancing, I realised that 2 rims were bent visibly. However, not a scratch on the tyres. This is a testament to the durability of the sidewall. I would highly recommend this tyre for people concerned about driving on bad roads.

2. Gets noisy towards the end of it's life. It was really noisy over the last 10,000 kms.

3. Ride comfort deteriorates badly as the tyre wears. The ride quality which was on the firmer side to begin with became unbearably stiff for me personally.

4. Grip levels were very good initially but got slightly worse as the tyre wore. In the wet though, this tyre is really really good.

5. Have had only 2 punctures in the 37,000 kms I used them.

6. Even at the end of 37,000 kms, the tyres still had life in them but I decided to change the tyres because the ride became too bad for me.

I had very bad experience with CPC2. Very opposite to Nikhils.
Still running them on my Civic - but it is rarely driven these days.
Side walls are delicate and 2 of them got cut.
Tires have worn out faster than expected. Which is ok if braking is good, but breaking is also very poor. I strongly recommend against these tires.

Funny part is that two years back everyone was raving about these tires on all forums, including team-bhp, and today when I am again looking out for tires, I see everyone complaining about the same tires! Now I am not sure whom to trust!

Last edited by ST7677 : 30th August 2013 at 09:21.
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Continental Tyres for my Wagon-R. Upgraded Jebs Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 34 1st December 2015 21:12
Continental launches radial tyres for Trucks Aditya Commercial Vehicles 1 2nd April 2014 15:10
Continental Tyres are a headache ! Garipagol Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 19 28th December 2011 15:36
Continental to buy out Modi Tyres GTO Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 5 19th July 2011 00:15
Continental Tyres in Chennai ibm_jennifer Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 11 13th June 2009 18:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks