Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 3rd August 2008, 01:05   #346
BANNED

Question directed to ALL Palio 1.6 driver's :

What differences in FE and grip/handling/performance have been experienced by those of you who had been running on stock size (175/65 R14) for a while and later upgraded to a wider tire like 185/60 R14?

Has the steering felt any heavier with the upgrade?
luvjascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 01:10   #347
Senior - BHPian

1. Choose between XM1/A.Drive, both are good. And no, their grip/performance will not be as good as 185/60 or 195/60.

2. Again choose any, both are good. FE difference can be up to 1kmpl. Best you check with owner's who've up sized on their cars. I think Bottle has 185/60's on his car.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 06:14   #348
BANNED

My number 1 priority is SAFETY, for instance, braking action and grip on wet roads.

Having said that, is an upgrade to 185/60 R 14 recommended ?
Old 3rd August 2008, 10:31   #349
Senior - BHPian

Luvjascha question bank.
Go read all the posts in this thread by Ishan and my pm's. Everything u are asking for has been answered clearly many times but still u don't run out of questions for some reason.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 10:53   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Luvjascha question bank.
Couldn't have put it better. The guy sent me more than 25 PMs with questions ranging from Why does my 1.1 one have a roof antenna to does the Palio have a Digital ODO.

Looks like he has at last bought the car.

Congrats Bro. Enjoy the drive.

Cheers,

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 18:59   #351
BANNED

My apologies to Ishan, Prajesh and Rajan for the PMs, and also appreciate all the advice.

Thanks
Old 3rd August 2008, 19:46   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
How much did you pay for the XM1+ in 185/60 R14, and how much did your stock tires fetch ya'? Were they GPS2s? How soon after vehicle purchase did you get your tires exchanged?
I paid Rs.3940/- per tyre here in Chennai and this was a few months ago, not sure what current prices are.

Traded in the stock tyres which had done 10k by then and got Rs.3500/- for all 5. If you trade in while the tyres are new (<150kms) you can get 1.5~1.8k per tyre for the stock tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
When you upsize, there will be some deviation from the stock diameter (Wheel + tyre) - 195/60R14 is closer to stock diameter than 185/60 or 185/65 ( I don't think this size is easily available).
There is a slight downside to 195 section tyres for the Palio 1.6. The stock alloy is 5.5J and the recommended wheel size for 195 section is 6J - mind you, it does work ok with a 5.5J rim - there are people on this forum running this setup.
I think there is very little difference between the sizes afaik -0.94% vs 1.1% so either size should work fine with minimal speedo error. As you said though 195 sized tyres look a bit too big for the rims. Rahulkool from this forum has the same on his car and the tyres look a bit oversized for the rims but are working great all the same

Quote:
Thanks Ishan.

If I wish to stick to the stock size of 175/65 R14, what brand should I exchange it for? Are the 175/65 R14 not as good on grip/performance?

If I wish to upgrade to 185/60 R14, what brand is recommended? With the 185/60 R14, how much of a drop in FE can I expect? Is it significant?
It depends on the tyres you use. Something like XM1 will hardly make any difference from the stock goodyears since they do not have a high level of grip as say the PP2.

Btw compared to my 185 /60 profile tyres the braking is much better on Rahulkools car. He has Yoko ES100 and sized at 195/60 and braking is spot on with those due to the width and grip. However steering felt a bit heavier at low speeds compared to the stock tyres and with my XM1

Last edited by bottle : 3rd August 2008 at 19:47.
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 20:00   #353
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
If you trade in while the tyres are new (<150kms) you can get 1.5~1.8k per tyre for the stock tyres
I plan on getting the tires exchanged on Day 1!

Quote:
Btw compared to my 185 /60 profile tyres the braking is much better on Rahulkools car. He has Yoko ES100 and sized at 195/60 and braking is spot on with those due to the width and grip. However steering felt a bit heavier at low speeds compared to the stock tyres and with my XM1
How are Yokohama A.drives on grip/handling/braking in either 175/65 R 14 and 185/60 R14?
Is it the tire size or the brand that matters overall - like handling/grip/braking action, etc. ?

And BTW, since you ran on stock tires for a while and later switched to 185s, how much of a difference in FE are you experiencing ?
Old 3rd August 2008, 20:13   #354
Senior - BHPian

I am getting 0.5~1 kmpl less efficency than with the stock tyres. Brand doesnt matter since all of them have tyres for different purposes. In michelin the XM1 are more of a comfort tyre while Pilot Preceda is a high grip tyre. Similar case for Yokos and other companies.

Not sure how A drives are, some of the other tyre gurus might be able to help on that
Old 3rd August 2008, 20:19   #355
BANNED

Quote:
I am getting 0.5~1 kmpl less efficency than with the stock tyres
What FE are you currently getting ?

Quote:
In michelin the XM1 are more of a comfort tyre while Pilot Preceda is a high grip tyre.
Yeah. But then again the PP2s don't last as long as the XM1s. So, I guess it's a little bit of a give and take.
Old 3rd August 2008, 20:31   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What FE are you currently getting ?
Getting around 10 now while it used to be 11 most of the time. Do stick to a good bunk though. Was getting anywhere between 6 and 8 for some time and only recently found that it was due to bad fuel and switching bunks got me back to my old FE.

Quote:
Yeah. But then again the PP2s don't last as long as the XM1s. So, I guess it's a little bit of a give and take.

True, Do scout around and check how the A drives are otherwise XM1 should suit you fine also. (What kind of a driver are you? )

Looking at the treadwear rating of my XM1+, it looks like it will be around for a long long time
Old 3rd August 2008, 20:41   #357
BANNED

Quote:
Getting around 10 now while it used to be 11 most of the time. Do stick to a good bunk though. Was getting anywhere between 6 and 8 for some time and only recently found that it was due to bad fuel and switching bunks got me back to my old FE
Anything between 10-11 on a Palio 1.6 is good. It's really hard to tell whether or not the drop in FE is because of fuel quality or wider tires. I guess the FE difference is larger with bad fuel rather than wider tires, what say?
BTW, what fuel are you using -Regular Unleaded?

Quote:
What kind of a driver are you?
Sedate driving in city limits. Highway is a totally different story though; however, I don't attempt high-speed cornerings, sudden brakings, etc. I just love to floor it, on an open stretch. I NEVER abuse the tires!

Last edited by luvjascha : 3rd August 2008 at 20:43.
Old 3rd August 2008, 20:47   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess the FE difference is larger with bad fuel rather than wider tires, what say?
BTW, what fuel are you using -Regular Unleaded?
definitely so

about fuel, am using ioc xtrapremium, find that with regular i get some slight knocking at low speeds/bad traffic and with premium it feels a bit more smooth.

top speed is a bit better with regular though

i think we are getting a bit too OT now though!
Old 3rd August 2008, 20:57   #359
BANNED

Quote:
top speed is a bit better with regular though
The vehicle feels smoother and you get better FE than with Extra Premium. Agreed.
But what's with top speed being 'better' with regular?

Quote:
i think we are getting a bit too OT now though!
You're right! Anyway, for my driving style, should stock size be OK ?
Old 3rd August 2008, 20:59   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It depends on the tyres you use. Something like XM1 will hardly make any difference from the stock goodyears since they do not have a high level of grip as say the PP2.
Bottle, I beg to disagree here!

I have driven on stock (Goodyear GPS2) tires for 26K kms before changing over to Michelin XM1+ recently!

XM1+ is miles ahead of Goodyear stock tires in terms of: Comfort, tyre noise, reasonably good Grip, Braking and Wet driving! There is absolutly no match between these two tires!
finneyp is online now   Reply With Quote