Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 3rd August 2008, 21:10   #361
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
XM1+ is miles ahead of Goodyear stock tires in terms of: Comfort, tyre noise, reasonably good Grip, Braking and Wet driving! There is absolutly no match between these two tires!
Finney, what do you think about Yokohama A.drives? How would they compare to the XM1+
luvjascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 21:17   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
Finney, what do you think about Yokohama A.drives? How would they compare to the XM1+
Sorry pal, I have not used Yoko A drives so far, I have no idea, I guess Rahulkool has A drives on his Palio 1.6, do check with him.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 21:33   #363
Senior - BHPian

IIRC rahulkool has ES100 in his Palio 1.6
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 21:34   #364
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
IIRC rahulkool has ES100 in his Palio 1.6
These are not A.drives, are they?

Do the A.drives match the XM1+ in terms of comfort, tire noise, grip, braking and wet driving ?

What about durability & warranty periods on both these tires ?

Last edited by luvjascha : 3rd August 2008 at 21:38.
Old 3rd August 2008, 21:43   #365
Senior - BHPian

1. A drives and ES100 are two different models of Yokohama.
2. Yes, they are very similar.
3. Ishan can tell u better about this.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 21:44   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bottle, I beg to disagree here!

I have driven on stock (Goodyear GPS2) tires for 26K kms before changing over to Michelin XM1+ recently!

XM1+ is miles ahead of Goodyear stock tires in terms of: Comfort, tyre noise, reasonably good Grip, Braking and Wet driving! There is absolutly no match between these two tires!
Hey finney , thats very true otherwise theres no point in changing to the right but we were talking about the FE and the steering getting heavier, both of which only very marginally got worse after the upgrade
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 22:14   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
but we were talking about the FE and the steering getting heavier, both of which only very marginally got worse after the upgrade
Bottle, Michelin Energy XM1 promises of improved FE, but since we upsized to wider tires, FE increase will be negated, so FE will remain the same, atleast I am getting the same FE as before.

And reg steering getting heavier, actually I feel my steering bit lighter, maybe coz I changed over from steel rims to Alloys.

Last edited by finneyp : 3rd August 2008 at 22:15.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 22:23   #368
BANNED

Quote:

And reg steering getting heavier, actually I feel my steering bit lighter, maybe coz I changed over from steel rims to Alloys.
But Bottle drives the Palio 1.6, which already comes equipped with alloy wheels. So, even after switching to XM1+ and having alloys, what is the reason for the heavier steering (even though marginal)
Old 3rd August 2008, 22:35   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bottle, Michelin Energy XM1 promises of improved FE, but since we upsized to wider tires, FE increase will be negated, so FE will remain the same, atleast I am getting the same FE as before.

Yup true, as i said difference was only 0.5 -1 which is hardly anything , more often due to driving patterns and conditions. Dont mean to sound arrogant but most of the time I dont really concentrate on driving for FE but I still like to check at every tank and see what I get.

and even steering there is hardly any difference. rather than saying that its heavier I would say that its more precise. with the goodyears there was a kind of dead spot in the middle and steering felt more loose but with xm1 i guess theres more grip so you feel the road even while moving the wheel slightly. Its a good thing
Old 3rd August 2008, 22:58   #370
Senior - BHPian

Both XM1+ & A.Drive are pretty durable & well suited to our conditions.

You can read about Michelin's warranty policy here: Michelin India - Warranty Overview

Don't have Yoko's warranty policy on hand, will find it & post it here.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:12   #371
BANNED

Here are some of my concerns for upgrading :

1. Heavier steering (although marginal)
2. Drop in FE (again marginal. About 0.5-1)
3. Speedo errors/suspension problems
4. Tire shops advising against an upgrade

But I'd be loosing out on grip, braking and wet driving!

In any event, I will be running either XM1+/A.drives.
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:32   #372
Senior - BHPian

1. None or minimal effect. If you have arms like any normal person, it's not a bother.
2. That's purely your decision.
3. Not an issue, all within tolerance. And same rim size upgrade does not give suspension issues especially when it's just one size wider.
4. Most of them know nothing anyway, so disregard that.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:35   #373
BHPian

hi jascha,i upgraded my palio's tyres to 185/60 r14 around 1year back to michelin energy xm1s with advice from none other than the 'tyre man',ishan(my apologies for that term iraghava!!)
first of all,i must say,the xm1s are great tyres just like what people have already reported.nowadays i recommend them to anyone who asks me which tyres to go in for.they offer a perfect balance between noise levels,ride comfort and grip.i am very much impressed.no idea about the yokos though.
regarding your concerns,the steering effort may have marginally increased but its very very minimal.personally,i feel its mainly psychological.you would not realise it if you were not told about the new tyres.and regarding fuel efficiency,i havent noticed any change.neither for the better or for the worse.
guess there wont be much of a change in that area too
but the stock tyres(bridgestones) are really horrible and you just cant compare the michelins with them.the positives of the tyre swap far outweigh the negatives here!!

Last edited by carfreak : 3rd August 2008 at 23:39.
carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:38   #374
BANNED

Hey, thanks Ishan.

I have decided to upgrade to 185/60 R 14. Since both, XM1+ and A.drives, are very similar in almost every regard, I'll decide what to go with after reviewing Yokohama's Warranty.

Apparently, the silica-based compound used in Yokohama tires provides maximum grip on wet and dry roads, and somehow enhances/improves FE. This is the reason I'm considering the A.drives as well!

Last edited by luvjascha : 3rd August 2008 at 23:42.
Old 4th August 2008, 00:09   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here are some of my concerns for upgrading :

1. Heavier steering (although marginal)
2. Drop in FE (again marginal. About 0.5-1)
3. Speedo errors/suspension problems
4. Tire shops advising against an upgrade

But I'd be loosing out on grip, braking and wet driving!

In any event, I will be running either XM1+/A.drives.
1,2,3 are a non issue seriously. there is no difference in steering , fe is ambigious and since overall diameter is the same there will be no speedo error and i dont see why there would be any suspension issues since the height of sidewall will be same as before and it is not wide enough to scrap anywhere

Quote:
Hey, thanks Ishan.

I have decided to upgrade to 185/60 R 14. Since both, XM1+ and A.drives, are very similar in almost every regard, I'll decide what to go with after reviewing Yokohama's Warranty.

Apparently, the silica-based compound used in Yokohama tires provides maximum grip on wet and dry roads, and somehow enhances/improves FE. This is the reason I'm considering the A.drives as well!
Good choice but afaik, XM1+ is part of the energy series which is also silica based