Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 11th January 2011, 22:12   #481
BHPian

Default re: Fiat Palio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

@Rudrah: Why not Yoko S Drives 195s? Have the same tyre in my Palio and my dad's Getz and I would say it performs really well. I can't remember my tyres screeching even once after the upgrade, with the stock tyre it was a regular thing, especially when driving in the Ghats around Pune.

Some differences I noticed:
1) Execellent grip, both in wet and dry roads.
2) Minimum road noise
3) Braking improved a lot, even under hard braking the tyres don't lock
4) Wheel spin has reduced under hard acceleration, good for drags
nim_peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 02:05   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
I spoke with a dealer in Vashi - Sanghi tyres and he qouted Rs 4200/- while Premji Tyres at Mahim qouted 3900/-!

Both don't have the stock now. I'm surprised for the price difference and the Vashi dealer says while every other tyre company has up the prices, Yokos have hold up but in few days they would follow too. Is this true or the Vashi dealer is trying to fleece me??
What Sanghi is saying is correct but ever since he started this shop in sector 17, he has started selling at inflated prices. You can go to his shop down the Palm beach road towards the IOC pump, near the Hanuman temple and you will find prices offered there are in line with the market. The shop there is called 'Sai tyres' IIRC. Another shop with decent prices is Best Tyres just across the road from the IOC pump. Though a Bridgestone club/select outlet he can get you Yokos too. I have bought tyres from both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
@Rudrah: Why not Yoko S Drives 195s? Have the same tyre in my Palio and my dad's Getz and I would say it performs really well. I can't remember my tyres screeching even once after the upgrade, with the stock tyre it was a regular thing, especially when driving in the Ghats around Pune.

Some differences I noticed:
1) Execellent grip, both in wet and dry roads.
2) Minimum road noise
3) Braking improved a lot, even under hard braking the tyres don't lock
4) Wheel spin has reduced under hard acceleration, good for drags
The compound used in the S drives is a hard compound and these tyres are best suited for 4) above. For everyday driving the C drive is a very good tyre to have, certainly the better one amongst the two.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 18:06   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
@Rudrah: Why not Yoko S Drives 195s?
Peter, more than the S drives, the C Drives seems to suit my requirements. I'll thou compare the S drives and C drives in real before buying it.

Thanks bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
What Sanghi is saying is correct but ever since he started this shop in sector 17, he has started selling at inflated prices. You can go to his shop down the Palm beach road towards the IOC pump, near the Hanuman temple and you will find prices offered there are in line with the market. The shop there is called 'Sai tyres' IIRC. Another shop with decent prices is Best Tyres just across the road from the IOC pump. Though a Bridgestone club/select outlet he can get you Yokos too. I have bought tyres from both.
Khoj, Vashi area is well known for that. You would find high prices than other city parts unless you know someone personally. Well I should then check the one at Nerul near IOC pump and Best tyres which i think is at Sec 19 Vashi right opp to IOC pump, correct?

But sadly the C drives are not available at the moment. I may have to wait for month end as they are projecting.
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 03:06   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I drive the Stile 1.6 Sports with stock GY GPS2 - 175/65/R14 tyres

Its been 24k kms with the stock tyres and since i drive mostly in cities than highways they have performed decently except in the rains and in expressway, the car seems to be floating.

I had one tyre replaced under warranty for a tyre bulge and now i've another one back again.

At 100+ speeds, the steering feels lifeless and vibrates. I feel its time to change these stock tyres. I've now narrowed down to the Yokohama C Drive - 185/60/R14. The tyre looks great as with the reviews online in terms of gripping and comfort both in dry and wet conditions.

I spoke with a dealer in Vashi - Sanghi tyres and he qouted Rs 4200/- while Premji Tyres at Mahim qouted 3900/-!

Both don't have the stock now. I'm surprised for the price difference and the Vashi dealer says while every other tyre company has up the prices, Yokos have hold up but in few days they would follow too. Is this true or the Vashi dealer is trying to fleece me??
Can I suggest that you try the 185/65R14. I know that it is not the perfect upsize (185/60R14 is) but this works very well with Honda City that has the same OEM (175/65R14) size. The ride quality difference between 185/65 and 185/60 is pretty significant due to extra sidewall height and you will get them at least 10% cheaper than 60 profile tires.
Just check that your wheels dont touch the car body on full lock and on load.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 15:18   #485

I have observed very few recommendations for 185/60 R14 for the Palio Stile Sport 1.6. Most of the recommendations are for 185/65 or 195/60 R14 options.

I realize the rolling radius is a few mm less (2.75 mm) then stock size of 175/65 R14. Is that the only reason or is there something more?

I am in the process of deciding as my stock set have worn out and need a replacement ASAP. Current options are Michelin XM1+ and Yoko C drives.
rajuhari11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 00:27   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuhari11 View Post
I have observed very few recommendations for 185/60 R14 for the Palio Stile Sport 1.6. Most of the recommendations are for 185/65 or 195/60 R14 options.

I realize the rolling radius is a few mm less (2.75 mm) then stock size of 175/65 R14. Is that the only reason or is there something more?

I am in the process of deciding as my stock set have worn out and need a replacement ASAP. Current options are Michelin XM1+ and Yoko C drives.
The 185/60 are more expensive and have a harsher ride compared to 185/65. They will definitely handle better at the limit compared to 185/65 but then you ride on tires all the time and take them to limit once in while (if ever, that is). Take your pick on what is more important to you. If you do decide to exchange. 185/60 is not a popular upsize and the resale will not be good (though we rarely sell tires before using them up completely so this point may not be relevant)

Last edited by Buffetfan : 10th February 2011 at 00:31.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 20:05   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Can I suggest that you try the 185/65R14. I know that it is not the perfect upsize (185/60R14 is) but this works very well with Honda City that has the same OEM (175/65R14) size. The ride quality difference between 185/65 and 185/60 is pretty significant due to extra sidewall height and you will get them at least 10% cheaper than 60 profile tires.
Just check that your wheels dont touch the car body on full lock and on load.
Thanks, Buffetfan for your advise. The Yoko C drives are not yet arrived in the market so i'm awaiting to get it checked.

Will update as soon as i get it on my Palio
Old 31st March 2011, 21:23   #488
BHPian

I recently upgraded my palio S10 with 185/60 r14 Appollo accelere.
Even though the ride is good,I am having low GC problems.
With 4 passengere on board,i have managed to scrape almost all the big speed breakers enroute.
if i upgrade the tyres to 185/65 r14, Will it help me negotiate those speed breakers?
Checked in the below link
Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing
Sidewall height for 175/65 is 113.53mm
185/60 is 110.99mm
185/65 is 120.14mm
Looks like i will gain close to 10mm in GC if i upgrade to 185/65 R14,which might help in clearing all the speed breakers without scrap.
Please correct me if i am wrong.
And also how much will i get for 800kms run 185/60 R14 Appollo accelere?

Any other suggestion like adding spacers with the same set of tyres a good one?
rock18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 13:03   #489

I have finally managed to get Yokohama C Drives for my Palio Stile 1.6. Went for 185/60 R14 and have done 2000 Km so far.

Positives
- Extremely stable at high speeds (unlike the stock goodyears)
- Noise levels are lower for sure
- They look good on the vehicle

Not So Positive
- No improvement in ride quality. This was kind of expected considering they are a slightly lower profile and i was warned about it by Buffetfan. So was prepared for it.

Paid 4200/- per tyre and also got a Waterman pen as a gift from Yokohama.
Old 1st May 2011, 14:49   #490
BHPian

Red face re: Fiat Palio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuhari11 View Post
I have finally managed to get Yokohama C Drives for my Palio Stile 1.6. Went for 185/60 R14 and have done 2000 Km so far.

Positives
- Extremely stable at high speeds (unlike the stock goodyears)
- Noise levels are lower for sure
- They look good on the vehicle

Not So Positive
- No improvement in ride quality. This was kind of expected considering they are a slightly lower profile and i was warned about it by Buffetfan. So was prepared for it.

Paid 4200/- per tyre and also got a Waterman pen as a gift from Yokohama.
Thats cool, rajuhari.

Any idea how much the profile 195/60/R14 cost for the C Drive? Also i think the C drive don't come in 175/65/R14, is it right?

I should be upgrading before the rains hit, either with the Yoko C Drive, Michelin XM1+ else Bridgestone Turanza ER60 stock size.
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:06   #491

Quote:
Thats cool, rajuhari.

Any idea how much the profile 195/60/R14 cost for the C Drive? Also i think the C drive don't come in 175/65/R14, is it right?

I should be upgrading before the rains hit, either with the Yoko C Drive, Michelin XM1+ else Bridgestone Turanza ER60 stock size.
Hi Rudrah,

Sorry no idea on the cost for a 195/60R14 profile tyre. You are right C drives are not available in 175/65R14. At least not in India. I had checked some European site which listed them.

Another point to note is that 185/60 are more expensive as they not a regular size. I understand 186/65R14 are around 350-400 bucks cheaper.

Regards

Raju
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:07   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
if i upgrade the tyres to 185/65 r14, Will it help me negotiate those speed breakers?
Checked in the below link
Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing
Sidewall height for 175/65 is 113.53mm
185/60 is 110.99mm
185/65 is 120.14mm
Looks like i will gain close to 10mm in GC if i upgrade to 185/65 R14,which might help in clearing all the speed breakers without scrap.
Please correct me if i am wrong.
And also how much will i get for 800kms run 185/60 R14 Appollo accelere?

Any other suggestion like adding spacers with the same set of tyres a good one?
I use 185/65 on my Stile 1.6 and ground clearance has definitely improved! I have noticed it over my regular route and can vouch its better - side wall increase needs to be compensated by slightly higher tyre pressure as stock pressure recommendation makes the car handle a bit less responsive.
viper_711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:03   #493
Senior - BHPian

Tyre options in 195-60 R14 (OE Alloys - 5.5J)

Bottle's 1.6 Sports Stile` (Yokohama Advan AD07)
Fiat Palio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-bottle.jpg

Rahul's 1.6 Sports Stile` (Yokohama ES100)
Fiat Palio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-rahul.jpg

My GTX (Hankook Ventus R-S2)
Fiat Palio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-rs2.jpg

Khan_Sultan is using GY Eagle Ventura
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:23   #494
BHPian

Anyone tried Maxxis tyres?

I am considering MA-V1 for my next tyre change before the monsoons set in!
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:52   #495
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post

Khan_Sultan is using GY Eagle Ventura
That was a 'temp' arrangement for some time. Got them removed LONG back

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Anyone tried Maxxis tyres?

I am considering MA-V1 for my next tyre change before the monsoons set in!
I am running on Maxxis on my S10 for quite some time now. Am perfectly happy with their performance and have found their wet braking to be very good.

I think that they will last long also.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote