Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 3rd June 2011, 15:23   #511
BHPian

Default re: Fiat Palio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Guys, please note the variations - stock 175-65-14 to:

Attachment 554492
Thanks a fantastic comparo you have put up!

So whats your take on every variations from the stock 175/65/14?

Can you put up the Pros and Cons if possible?

That should help a layman like me here
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 15:36   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
At the moment, I'm unable to find your Gallery pics.

If you are talking about the fiesta 1.6 Sports then right. Its the perfect competitor to the Palio 1.6

I loved the way it gave me the punch at the push of the Accelerator! Very much fun to drive
The regular Fiesta is as much fun - engines are absolutely same - The S comes with stiffer springs - but on city roads the Sxi rides much better! The power & torque develops at a lower RPM and that makes it enjoyable!

Image attached for reference:
Attached Images

viper_711 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 15:36   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ Bottle / Rahul / Khan saab - How much air do you fill in the front / rear tyres (195-60-14)?

The tyre dealer filled 32 in front / rear and i have been filling up with 32. but the ride is a tad bit hard.
I keep 28psi on both front and back. Its pressure i don't think it will vary with any size
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 15:43   #514
Senior - BHPian

Subodh - even i am a layman - i get confused looking at figures. The tyre i was looking for was only available in 195-60-14. Problem solved. But i think these numbers have got to do with Speedo & Odo readings.

My friend's GTX in Kolkata is running on 185-60-14 ES100s - he said he never had any issues.

Quote:
i was weak in physics - someone later cleared that pressure PSi has no link to size of tyre / volume
thanks Rahul.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 3rd June 2011 at 15:52.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 15:52   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
The regular Fiesta is as much fun - engines are absolutely same - The S comes with stiffer springs - but on city roads the Sxi rides much better! The power & torque develops at a lower RPM and that makes it enjoyable!

Image attached for reference:
Thanks for the pic

Quote:
Subodh - even i am a layman - i get confused looking at figures. The tyre i was looking for was only available in 195-60-14. Problem solved. But i think these numbers have got to do with Speedo & Odo readings.

My friend's GTX in Kolkata is running on 185-60-14 ES100s - he said he never had any issues.
LOL Surya!

But these numbers also change the ride handling and comfort. I was looking for this info!

In other thread for Palio, another member having S10 says the 185/60 is causing problems on his S10 as his car bottoms up when fully loaded!
I'm surprised, is that true for that tyre profile?
Old 3rd June 2011, 15:59   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But these numbers also change the ride handling and comfort. I was looking for this info!
the ride was a bit hard initially, may be because the tyres were filled with 32psi air. but now it is fine.

the tyres i am using are directional (V - tread) and it tramlines a bit on rough roads and tram lines (we have tram lines in Kolkata )

Quote:
In other thread for Palio, another member having S10 says the 185/60 is causing problems on his S10 as his car bottoms up when fully loaded!
I'm surprised, is that true for that tyre profile?
i have not noticed this with 195-60 but there is a chance of rear tyres touching the wheel arch when fully loaded and going over bumps and pot holes.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 16:15   #517
BHPian

Guys this is the info i posted in my earlier post:

Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing
Sidewall height for 175/65 is 113.53mm
185/60 is 110.99mm
185/65 is 120.14mm

I cannot say if my car would have bottomed out even on 175/65 R14 as i have changed it immediately.
but definitely 175/65 r14 will offer better ride comfort on bad roads and more over its cheaper.
rock18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:44   #518
BHPian

Hello,

My Palio MJD 2008 is around 30K Km driven,when should I replace the original Good Year GPS tyres.

How is the idea of replacing the steel rims with Fiat Punto Alloy wheels or the Stile 1.6 sport alloys will they fit Palio without any issues?

What tyres to be used for good road handling,low noise and great fuel economy with less drag.

Appreciate inputs from MJD owner who have done tyre and alloy changes

Thanks
Amar
amarprusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 19:17   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
Guys this is the info i posted in my earlier post:

Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing
Sidewall height for 175/65 is 113.53mm
185/60 is 110.99mm
185/65 is 120.14mm

I cannot say if my car would have bottomed out even on 175/65 R14 as i have changed it immediately.
but definitely 175/65 r14 will offer better ride comfort on bad roads and more over its cheaper.
In my Stile 1.6 with the stock 175/65 even with 5 people on board the car sits really low though the suspension set up is high!
The ride part is fine but i can't comment on the ride for 185/60 as i havent experienced on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarprusty View Post
Hello,

My Palio MJD 2008 is around 30K Km driven,when should I replace the original Good Year GPS tyres.

How is the idea of replacing the steel rims with Fiat Punto Alloy wheels or the Stile 1.6 sport alloys will they fit Palio without any issues?

What tyres to be used for good road handling,low noise and great fuel economy with less drag.

Appreciate inputs from MJD owner who have done tyre and alloy changes

Thanks
Amar
Amar,

in PUG, we recently had a long discussion on this. A 1.9D user has upgraded to Adventure alloys 14'. Check with him.
Old 5th June 2011, 17:19   #520
BHPian

Finally after a very long hard decision, I upgraded my stock tyres 175/65/14 to 185/65/14 in Yokohama C Drive

The choice was between Bridgestone Turanza ER60 - Michelin XM1+ - Yokohama C Drive. The C Drive won handsomely

Reasons:
- Attractive price compared to the above 2
- Soft compound rubber with reviews and feedback having fantastic Wet grip and dry too.
- Silent tyres
- Comfort ridden tyres
- Decent feedback

The only thing i observed instantly was the Steering becoming very light! This is not what the Palio is used to!

I had a long discussion with friends and fellow mates out here in TBHP whether to go for 185/60 or 185/65 or even 195/60 however dealer says 195/60 is not launched in India!

Everyone here said the 185/60 will provide harsh ride and suggested to go for 185/65 for ride and comfort if driving mostly on cities.

The major concern was for to see if when 5 people are on board the car should not scrap and bottoms. Lets see i've havent been able to test this.

Viper_711 - have you faced scrapping when you have 5 people and luggage on board? Please confirm.

BTW check this image for the tyre thread...doesn't it look beautiful?
Name:  yokohamacdriveAC01.PNG
Views: 664
Size:  463.4 KB

I'll update the exact feedback after 1000km when the run-in period will be over for the new tyres. In the end, i'm a happy customer

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th February 2012 at 00:52. Reason: Removed extra smiley, thanks
rudrah is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 12:30   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Finally after a very long hard decision, I upgraded my stock tyres 175/65/14 to 185/65/14 in Yokohama C Drive

The choice was between Bridgestone Turanza ER60 - Michelin XM1+ - Yokohama C Drive. The C Drive won handsomely

Viper_711 - have you faced scrapping when you have 5 people and luggage on board? Please confirm.

I'll update the exact feedback after 1000km when the run-in period will be over for the new tyres. In the end, i'm a happy customer
Congrats on the new shoes Rudrah!
The tread pattern does look quite handsome.

To answer your question - The car has been loaded with 4 adults and a kid + full luggage (well as much as could be stuffed!) and has done two such trips - one to Ooty and one to Coorg. On one occasion on a nasty bump that I missed seeing completely, it may have scraped. I use the word 'may' as lots of things happened when we flew over the bump (mobiles fell off, kid started crying, stomachs came up to the throat and lectures on safe driving started! )
Hope this helps!
viper_711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 10:15   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
Congrats on the new shoes Rudrah!
The tread pattern does look quite handsome.

To answer your question - The car has been loaded with 4 adults and a kid + full luggage (well as much as could be stuffed!) and has done two such trips - one to Ooty and one to Coorg. On one occasion on a nasty bump that I missed seeing completely, it may have scraped. I use the word 'may' as lots of things happened when we flew over the bump (mobiles fell off, kid started crying, stomachs came up to the throat and lectures on safe driving started! )
Hope this helps!
hahaha okay! May be i've to experience the same someday very soon

Will update soon! Cheers~
Old 14th June 2011, 16:10   #523
BHPian

Default Palio Stile - Tyre Upgrade

Hi,

I have a Fiat Palio MJD bought 2.5 years ago. I have covered nearly 45,000 KM on it with the stock tyres. Now I feel, it is the time to upgrade. I had posted a message with specific questions earlier but the moderators decided to remove it and they directed me to this thread which had hundreds of pages and thousands of posts talking about similar things but not exactly what I wanted.

Here are my questions:

1) What is the fattest upgrade I can go for without the tyres scraping my wheel well while turning, going over speed-bumps?
2) Will there be a substantial negative effect on my fuel efficiency and would it be substantially difficult to turn the steering at low speeds?
3) Which tyres would be best suited for my needs? I would prefer tyres that are quieter than my stock Goodyears but not at the expense of handling or reliability.
4) Since the stock rims are 13", would it make sense to upgrade to 14"? Will this affect my speedometer, my fuel efficiency, turning radius, braking etc. and if yes, how?

Thanks a lot, buddies, in advance.

Cheers,
-Ganesh
great_guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 09:33   #524
BHPian

Default Re: Palio Stile - Tyre Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_guns View Post
Hi,

I have a Fiat Palio MJD bought 2.5 years ago. I have covered nearly 45,000 KM on it with the stock tyres. Now I feel, it is the time to upgrade.
Exactly my situation too. Will follow this thread closely..
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 23:10   #525
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Palio Stile - Tyre Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_guns View Post
Hi,

I have a Fiat Palio MJD bought 2.5 years ago. I have covered nearly 45,000 KM on it with the stock tyres. Now I feel, it is the time to upgrade. I had posted a message with specific questions earlier but the moderators decided to remove it and they directed me to this thread which had hundreds of pages and thousands of posts talking about similar things but not exactly what I wanted.

Here are my questions:

1) What is the fattest upgrade I can go for without the tyres scraping my wheel well while turning, going over speed-bumps?
2) Will there be a substantial negative effect on my fuel efficiency and would it be substantially difficult to turn the steering at low speeds?
3) Which tyres would be best suited for my needs? I would prefer tyres that are quieter than my stock Goodyears but not at the expense of handling or reliability.
4) Since the stock rims are 13", would it make sense to upgrade to 14"? Will this affect my speedometer, my fuel efficiency, turning radius, braking etc. and if yes, how?

Thanks a lot, buddies, in advance.

Cheers,
-Ganesh
One of my friends had the older Palio with the 165/80R13 tires and he had safely upgraded to 185/70R13 tires. I think you get this size in Michelin XM1.
If you want to go to 14 you can try 185/65R14 and 195/60R14. All these are acceptable sizes and you will not get any measurable error. The actual error can be calculated at Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing.
I think the FE reduction will not be significant maybe within 5% or so of the current mileage. Handling will be better in a larger rim as there is less sidewall to flex. On the other hand, ride will be better in smaller rim as you have a taller air column supporting you. Take your pick but you should be picking for smaller rim in case you are a sedate driver and larger rim in case you are an aggressive driver.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 15th June 2011 at 23:13.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote