Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 8th December 2011, 15:40   #556
BHPian

Default re: Fiat Palio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Has anyone upgraded from 165/80R13 to 195/55R15 on a palio stile? I know it sounds crazy, only reason i thought of it is the availability of punto/linea 98 pcd alloys at 15".

Immaterial, what would i be losing out on if i do this upgrade? The ride would be much more stiffer at lower speeds due to decreased side profile? Will that effect the longevity of the tyres in any way?

Yeah, i know some of you may say the next logical upgrade would be to have 17" alloys with no tyres, but no, this is where i stop my imagination from running wild!
paliontile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 17:27   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliontile View Post
Has anyone upgraded from 165/80R13 to 195/55R15 on a palio stile? I know it sounds crazy, only reason i thought of it is the availability of punto/linea 98 pcd alloys at 15".
I remember seeing a Palio Stile MJD with 195/55/R15 in Concorde service station, Bangalore. Don't have further details since the owner was not there..
The was white and looking awesome.
ch.nathan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 02:47   #558
BHPian

Thanks ch.nathan, I've finally decided on an alloy model (shown below, pic), planning to order it from Sai Mag - Delhi soon.
So it would be 185/65R14 mostly for me, and have to decide between Yoko C drives and XM1+ for the tyres.

Pic source: Sai mag wheels FB page
Attached Images

Old 10th December 2011, 02:57   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
What options are available in stock size for Palio Stile MJD? (165/80 R13)?

Good year dealer says that this size is not available anymore!
I don't think there are any remaining options for 165 80 R 13s. Been searching for it since one of the tyres burst in Jun'2010. Same is the case with a fellow PUGger who searched for them in Pune as well.

If you are just looking for one tyre then you have to watch out for guys like me who are upgrading . Else if you are looking for a set of 4 and would like to stock rims, try upgrading to 185/70R13s, then you will find bridgestones and michelins in that size I guess.
Old 11th December 2011, 21:31   #560
BHPian

Quote:
My preNV palio is running with 195/55 R15.
the ride is bit stiffer but the handling is awesome, esp in corners and rain.
motionfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 09:02   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
My preNV palio is running with 195/55 R15.
the ride is bit stiffer but the handling is awesome, esp in corners and rain.
Great, found one at last. but i would assume 195/60 R14 would be providing me the same grip and handling as the 195/55 R15, right? My only worry was whether 195s would scrape the wheel wells during turns and on full load.

Can you put up some pics or point me to a link if already uploaded?
Old 12th December 2011, 16:32   #562
Senior - BHPian

@paliontile - you may want to take a look at this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2336141

all cars are running 195/60 R14. you can go ahead with the size. ride will be a bit stiffer. for a softer ride, you can use 185-65 R14. all the best.
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 15:50   #563
Senior - BHPian

Folks

One of my friends owns a Palio 1.2 and is plannng to swap his stock 13" rims with the un-used 14" rims of his dad's Swift. Of course he will change the tyres too, but is this feasible?

I was curious to know if the rod-like projections on which the rim and tyre are mounted will be at the same position in all cars.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 19:52   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Folks

One of my friends owns a Palio 1.2 and is plannng to swap his stock 13" rims with the un-used 14" rims of his dad's Swift. Of course he will change the tyres too, but is this feasible?

I was curious to know if the rod-like projections on which the rim and tyre are mounted will be at the same position in all cars.
More than the projections it's the PCD of the bolt holes that you need to worry about. Am not sure if the swift's and the palio's PCD match - palio is 98 PCD. Did you check that?
paliontile is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 10:33   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More than the projections it's the PCD of the bolt holes that you need to worry about. Am not sure if the swift's and the palio's PCD match - palio is 98 PCD. Did you check that?
That is a good point. I'll pass on the info to him. The Swift is in a different city. How do we get to know what the PCD of the Swift is?
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 10:40   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
That is a good point. I'll pass on the info to him. The Swift is in a different city. How do we get to know what the PCD of the Swift is?
Just found out that Swift runs on 100PCD, more info available here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...tive-pcds.html

There are palio mechanics who say that it's ok to put 100PCD alloys on palios (involves a bit of a un-reliable jugaad), but it's highly recommended not to follow it. It might lead to wobbles at high speeds (>100 or so)
paliontile is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 20:25   #567
BHPian

AVOID !!! different PCD wheels are complete no-no !!
motionfreak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 09:40   #568
BHPian

Ok long pending change of tyres needed for my car before the monsoon's set in this year.

Currently running on stock 175/65-14 Bridgestone S322's.

Looking for one size up 185/65-14 or 185/60-14 options. I have not yet decided between the two options if I want more comfort or control.

But I am looking at options in these two options?

Will prefer sticking to either ofYoko/Michelin/Maxxis/Bridgestone/Pirelli.

My requirements from the tyre in decreasing order of priority :-

1. Road Noise - The stock S322's are noisy as hell, need something much quieter.
2. Sidewall Strength - KA roads aren't the best in the country and there are plenty of hidden potholes at many places. Don't want a "bursty" prone tyre.
3. Wet grip - I tend to drive the car more when its raining, so prefer something at has decent wet grip.

PS: Currently stock tyres are TT, is there really a need to buy the spare tyre as well?

Last edited by praful : 7th May 2012 at 09:44.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 17:17   #569
BHPian

I am looking at changing the tires of my Palio SDX. Current Yoko A Drives lasted only for 30K KMs. There are lot of cracks in one tire in which I have a tube fitted.
I would like to know which is the most durable, abuse friendly tire available at 185 70 R13. I would not like to go with Yokos again even though the initial driving experience was good.
PhiGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 13:19   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGolden View Post
I am looking at changing the tires of my Palio SDX. Current Yoko A Drives lasted only for 30K KMs. There are lot of cracks in one tire in which I have a tube fitted.
I would like to know which is the most durable, abuse friendly tire available at 185 70 R13. I would not like to go with Yokos again even though the initial driving experience was good.
Could any one please help me with this?
PhiGolden is offline   Reply With Quote