Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 19th August 2012, 16:03   #571
BHPian

Default re: Fiat Palio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I drive a Palio 1.6 and have a weird issue. Actually I'm not even sure if it's an issue or I'm just ignorant about it.

The rear tires of my car always seem to wear out sooner than the front ones. It's regular wear and not uneven wear.

In the original GY tires, one of the rear tires burst because of being kept in the heat (and overfilling the air, I suspect), and I decided to change all 4 because I anyway wanted to move to Yoko A drives. In the first set also the rear tires were wearing away faster than the front ones.

The Yoko's have now lasted me about 26k and I can see that there is a significant diff between the front and rear tires. This is with regular rotation but the last time the mechanic asked me not to rotated since the front ones were still almost new like. The currect rear set will probably last another 5k.

My question is shouldn't the front tires wear out faster in case of a FWD car?
sharninder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2012, 18:59   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
I drive a Palio 1.6 and have a weird issue. Actually I'm not even sure if it's an issue or I'm just ignorant about it.

The rear tires of my car always seem to wear out sooner than the front ones. It's regular wear and not uneven wear.
Dear Sharninder- Im facing exactly the same issue. Ive just bought a Palio 1.2. it has clocked 28k kms. The original front tyres seem to have worn out. I was apprehensive about the odo reading, seeing the condition of the tyres. But its true. There is equal wear. Ive got the tyres rotated. Lets see how it works.

Palio gurus is there a remedy to this.
kavesh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2012, 20:20   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Dear Sharninder- Im facing exactly the same issue. Ive just bought a Palio 1.2. it has clocked 28k kms. The original front tyres seem to have worn out. I was apprehensive about the odo reading, seeing the condition of the tyres. But its true. There is equal wear. Ive got the tyres rotated. Lets see how it works.

Palio gurus is there a remedy to this.
Well, in a FWD car, front wheels should ideally wear out first. Atleast that's my understanding. But, my case it's opp. My car's rear wheels wear out much faster than the front wheels. And that is something I'm not able to understand, why?
Old 19th August 2012, 23:11   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, in a FWD car, front wheels should ideally wear out first. Atleast that's my understanding. But, my case it's opp. My car's rear wheels wear out much faster than the front wheels. And that is something I'm not able to understand, why?
What air pressure do you maintain ?

Whats the status of rear shock absorbers ? Have you got them checked ?

Ideally it should not happen, I'm running on 3rd set of Yoko A drives. First 2 sets lasted 50k kms each.

Last edited by kpzen : 19th August 2012 at 23:12.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2012, 23:29   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen

What air pressure do you maintain ?

Whats the status of rear shock absorbers ? Have you got them checked ?

Ideally it should not happen, I'm running on 3rd set of Yoko A drives. First 2 sets lasted 50k kms each.
I usually maintain 30psi in all 4s. The recommended according to the manual is 28 but I feel 30 gives a better ride.

The suspension is also in good condition. Like I said the rear 2 wear out evenly. But compared to the front 2 they wear out faster.
Old 20th August 2012, 20:12   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I usually maintain 30psi in all 4s. The recommended according to the manual is 28 but I feel 30 gives a better ride.

The suspension is also in good condition. Like I said the rear 2 wear out evenly. But compared to the front 2 they wear out faster.
Its really strange, you need to get that rear suspension checked once more.

When you get the air checked, have you noticed any specific pattern of pressure drop in tires ? as in, do the rear tires lose pressure faster than the fronts.

Still, i feel its the suspension.
Old 20th August 2012, 20:22   #577
BHPian

Quote:

Its really strange, you need to get that rear suspension checked once more.

When you get the air checked, have you noticed any specific pattern of pressure drop in tires ? as in, do the rear tires lose pressure faster than the fronts.

Still, i feel its the suspension.
What exactly should I get checked in the suspension? The car rides fine and I don't see uneven wear.
Old 20th August 2012, 21:00   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What exactly should I get checked in the suspension? The car rides fine and I don't see uneven wear.
Take your car to a good wheel alignment center and ask them to check the suspension and wheel toe specs.

DO NOT take it FIAT service center.
Old 20th August 2012, 21:04   #579
BHPian

Quote:

Take your car to a good wheel alignment center and ask them to check the suspension and wheel toe specs.

DO NOT take it FIAT service center.
I'll do that. Since you're based in Faridabad, any suggestions for a good place in the NCR area? I think we're going slightly OT now, though.
Old 20th August 2012, 21:47   #580
Senior - BHPian

One is this,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...faridabad.html (Tyre Shop - Haryana Wheels (Faridabad))

You can check here, if any other good shops are around your location.
Delhi NCR - Team-BHP
Old 28th March 2013, 11:15   #581
BHPian

I'm kindda torn between the Yoko A Drive and the Bridgestone ER300's. Both 185/60's, upsizing from my stock size of 175/65's.

Any reason I should not look at either of these? OR Is there a better choice amongst these two?

I need a silent tyre, and anything that grips better than the stock Bridgestone S322's (which I'm actually pretty impressed with). And definitely don't want any of the soft sidewall tearing issues, KA roads are pretty bad as it is!
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 13:03   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
I'm kindda torn between the Yoko A Drive and the Bridgestone ER300's. Both 185/60's, upsizing from my stock size of 175/65's.!
Both should fit your need. but why are you opting for 185/60? get either 195/60 or 185/65. you may also try MRF Z-LO

All the best. before mounting the tubeless tyres, make sure that the condition of the alloys are good - no paint chipping / oxidization at the edges / valve hole.

take care
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 13:06   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
condition of the alloys are good - no paint chipping / oxidization at the edges / valve hole.

take care
Ouch!!

This bit I had missed completely, 2 of my alloys have this issue. Do I need to get the entire wheel repainted?

EDIT: Opting for 185/60 because its closest to the 175/65 stock tyre. 195 on 1.2 will be an over kill IMO.

Last edited by praful : 28th March 2013 at 13:08.
Old 28th March 2013, 13:10   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Ouch!!

This bit I had missed completely, 2 of my alloys have this issue. Do I need to get the entire wheel repainted?
Lucky you! 3 OEM alloys in my GTX have this issue. Need to fill air every week. Air pressure goes down by almost 5-8psi at the end of the week.

Get them cleaned / repainted / fixed before mounting new tyres. Paint the entire wheel - inside out, after getting rid of the old paint.
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 20:47   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Lucky you! 3 OEM alloys in my GTX have this issue. Need to fill air every week. Air pressure goes down by almost 5-8psi at the end of the week.

Get them cleaned / repainted / fixed before mounting new tyres. Paint the entire wheel - inside out, after getting rid of the old paint.
Checked my alloys again. There is no oxidization or chipping of paint on the nozzle areas! *Phew*

PS: Has anyone got any reviews of the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons tyre?

I could find only two people who have used this tyre, one of which sold off the car within 2K kms of fitting the tyre.