Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 31st March 2013, 20:45   #586
BHPian

Default re: Fiat Palio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I was surveying the market for the tyre options yesterday. And every dealer wanted me to take 185/65 and not 185/60. They are just not keen on selling the /60 profile tyres. And the funny part is that most people actually do end up getting the /65 profile.

Plus, I don't get why people keep talking about having a harsh ride quality with /60 profile when the drop in side wall height is BARELY 2.75mm. The variance in size over stock for a /60 is hardly .94% whereas with a /65 its 2.24%.

Also too many posts I've read have people have complained about a lighter steering response post the upgrade to /65 upgrade as well.

I am confused as to why people still keep pushing for the /65 profile over /60. When clearly apart from having a more comfortable ride you don't gain anything.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 23:56   #587
BHPian

Hi,

My Petra D is currently running on stock 175/65/R14 tires. Kindly advice the perfect upsize, and which brand would offer better grip, ride comfort and last longer.

Thanks!
sparkglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 16:10   #588
BHPian

Hi,

I have a 2007 Palio Stile 1.1 SLX with stock tyres. I have only done 23.5K (mainly because I was out of the conutry for 2.5 yrs in-between) kms but keep thinking of changing tyres - mainly to reduce the road noise.
I recently had to put in a tube into my right-front (RF) tyre after it developed a bulge (now using it as spare). Other than that, LF is perfect. LR has had one puncture, RR is brand new (started using the spare after the RF went kaput). There are no other issues with current tyres, the thread is perfectly fine. Since I am a sedate driver, I'm thinking of sticking to the current size. Plus, upgrading to R14 and getting the 98 PCD Aura alloys will set me back by a further ~20K. I do realize that I may not get the stock size 165/80/R13 anymore, and may have to opt for 185/70/R13. My main objective to change tyres is to reduce (wish eliminate completely) road noise. But, I also want the new tyres to last me for their regular life time (45K kms seems the norm, right?). I mostly drive in Bangalore, but with good number of highway trips thrown in, most recent being the trip: Bangalore-Sringeri-Horanadu-Dharmasthala-Kukke-Bangalore. You can find the travelogue here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bangalore.html (Bangalore-Sringeri-Horanadu-Dharmasthala-Kukke-Bangalore)

Priorities (wishlist?) for new tyres:
1. Minumum road noise.
2. No issues with hitting the wheel-well, scraping the arches when car is loaded and passes thru bumps/potholes.
3. No speedo/Odo errors - Don't want to introduce any new issues.
4. No hit to FE.

What choices do I have in terms of brands? Is Michelin XM2 a good option, given my priorities? Is 185/70/R13 the right size?

I have read the 40 pages of this thread, but doesn't everyone wanting to change tyre feel the urge to pose his questions and get confirmation from the Gurus? I do

Thanks, Prashanth
prashkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 13:51   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
What choices do I have in terms of brands? Is Michelin XM2 a good option, given my priorities? Is 185/70/R13 the right size?
185/70/13 is indeed the right replacement for 165/80/13. It will cause a speedo error of 0.8% which is almost negligible. Have never used Michelin but my experience with Bridgestone Potenza has been excellent. Have done 50,000 KMs on my Adventure and had just one puncture! Bridgestones are made in India which I consider a good thing.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2013, 00:33   #590
BHPian

My Petra D is currently running on stock 175/65/R14 tires. Kindly advice the perfect upsize, and which brand would offer better grip, ride comfort and last longer.

Is 185/65 R14 a perfect upsize or should I opt for 185/60 R14? Ceat Milaza, Yoko A Drives, and Bridgestone are the brands I have in mind. Kindly suggest a good brand that would offer a comfortable ride, no road noise,and lost longer.

Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 14:41   #591
Senior - BHPian

You can use the tool on the page linked below to read up on the allowable difference in tire circumference & calculate the upsize.

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkglow View Post

Is 185/65 R14 a perfect upsize or should I opt for 185/60 R14? Ceat Milaza, Yoko A Drives, and Bridgestone are the brands I have in mind. Kindly suggest a good brand that would offer a comfortable ride, no road noise,and lost longer.

Thanks
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2013, 17:30   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
185/70/13 is indeed the right replacement for 165/80/13. It will cause a speedo error of 0.8% which is almost negligible. Have never used Michelin but my experience with Bridgestone Potenza has been excellent. Have done 50,000 KMs on my Adventure and had just one puncture! Bridgestones are made in India which I consider a good thing.
Thanks DI! I enquired with couple of dealers here in Blore and they were suggesting 175/70/R13. Is it a correct size?
Old 7th April 2013, 22:52   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
You can use the tool on the page linked below to read up on the allowable difference in tire circumference & calculate the upsize.

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html
Thank you for the web-link. 185/65-R14 returns a speedo error of +2.23%, and 185/60-R14 returns a speedo error of -.94%. I am now in a dilemma as to which tire size to choose for ride comfort and fuel efficiency.

The tire dealer suggests that I stick to the stock 175/65-R14, and opt for Ceat Milaze tires as they come with 3 years unconditionally warranty, and he also vouches for its performance.

Please pull me out of this dilemma..

Thanks.
Old 8th April 2013, 11:03   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
Thanks DI! I enquired with couple of dealers here in Blore and they were suggesting 175/70/R13. Is it a correct size?
No it isn't. It'll be a downsize. 185/70/13 is the right size for 13 inch rims.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 11:52   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
No it isn't. It'll be a downsize. 185/70/13 is the right size for 13 inch rims.
There is difference of about Rs. 800-900 between Yoko A-Drive and Michelin XM2. Which one do you recommend?
If there is a link for comparison between these two, that'll help too.

Thanks!
Old 4th May 2013, 08:28   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkglow View Post

Thank you for the web-link. 185/65-R14 returns a speedo error of +2.23%, and 185/60-R14 returns a speedo error of -.94%. I am now in a dilemma as to which tire size to choose for ride comfort and fuel efficiency.

Thanks.
I chose 185/65/R14. Ride comfort is a league above the stocks. I see a light dip in low end torque which I am not liking much. I enjoyed the great low end torque on my stile 1.6 sport. I understand FE takes a hit too when you upsize.
chakri400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 17:57   #597
BHPian

Changed tyres on my Palio Stile to XM2 - 185/70/R13. Got it done at Madhus Enterprises on Langford Road. I see an immediate significant difference in the road noise compared to my old stock Goodyear GPS2. Ride is much softer and quieter.

Very nice experience at the workshop, where Nikhil ensured the car got desired attention.
Old 30th May 2013, 23:43   #598
BHPian

I have a Fiat Petra 1.6 2004 year

Want to upgrade the tyres

Car is driven only in city. No hard acceleration and cornering. Sometimes a need arises for emergency braking due to traffic and road conditions

Which tyre would experts recommend me for the suggested use?

I plan to use 185 60R 14 size

I have shortlisted either Bridgestone Turanza ER300 or Pirelli P6

Pirelli was suggested by a another palio user but from a different country
rikhav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 23:48   #599
Senior - BHPian

Rikhav, If you are looking for comfort, go for Michelin XM2
finneyp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 00:04   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Rikhav, If you are looking for comfort, go for Michelin XM2

Yeah, am looking for comfort for sure since car is driven mainly in city

But would like to have that extra grip and good braking for that few occasions

Will the XM2 perform decently for these two situations?
rikhav is online now   Reply With Quote