Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 30th May 2015, 22:57   #631
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Palio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Thanks SunnyBoi for the reply. I will stick to 185/60. Which one is better? G3 potenza or anything from yoko's?

Sorry for going OT but does anybody happen to know where to source scuff plates and interior led lights for palio? Also is it a simple DIY?

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 30th May 2015 at 23:06.
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 02:22   #632
Distinguished - BHPian

While checking the tyre sizes, I noticed a 195/60 R14 gives a difference of just 1.11% over the stock 175/65R14. This is better than the difference with 185/65 R14 which is rated at 2.24%.

Isn't this a better option as we get a wider tyre to counter the braking deficiency of the Palio? Found the below post which states 195 can run on OEM Alloy wheels.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post3147570 (Fiat Palio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread)
Quote:
195-60-14 will not foul. You can fit them at ease on OEM alloys.

This post should be helpful: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2336141
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Tyre options in 195-60 R14 (OE Alloys - 5.5J)

Bottle's 1.6 Sports Stile` (Yokohama Advan AD07)
Attachment 539462

Rahul's 1.6 Sports Stile` (Yokohama ES100)
Attachment 539463

My GTX (Hankook Ventus R-S2)
Attachment 539464

Khan_Sultan is using GY Eagle Ventura ...
How did your Hankooks fare? Just want to get a feedback on which can be a good compromise between Noise levels / Cornering / Grip levels on a Symmetric tyre? I am not keen on Uni-directional tyres since I like to rotate the tyres at regular intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
185/65 will foul the tyre with the fender. Stick to 185/60-14...
My GTX is running on 185/65R14 and it never fouls with the fenders, using stock alloy wheels.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 18th January 2016 at 02:32.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 08:54   #633
BHPian

My friend's Linea is running on stock 175/70 R14. The top end Linea comes in 205/55 R16 which in my opinion looks very good.

But, increasing the width of the tyre from 175 to 205 will sure have a significant impact on FE. He wants to upgrade from 14" to 16" which in my opinion look good too. I could not find any tyres with 175mm width and 16 inches in dia. So, i decided to increase the width slightly to 185mm (so as to have minimal impact on FE) and found 185/85 R 16 tyres in JK Tyres Brute. Would this be a successful upgrade? The top end Linea's overall wheel dia is coming to 24.8 inches and the upgrade i chose is coming to 28.3 inches. Will this lead to the tyres touching the body and on turns when i turn the steering to extreme right or left?

I understand 185/85 R16 tires aspect ratio is quite high and can lead to side wall cuts on gravel roads etc. However, his usage will be limited to the city only or on highways once a quarter. The reason behind the upgrade is purely aesthetics and he is not looking for any improvement in performance. All he wants is to retain the current FE or maybe better it. He can live with the tyre noise as speeds will be under 50kmph in most city runs. He drives very sedately like a 50 year old man.

GC increase is welcome as long as it does not play a spoilsport with the aesthetics.

Look forward to expert recommendations.

Last edited by bharatbits : 8th February 2016 at 08:55.
bharatbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 12:53   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
How did your Hankooks fare? Just want to get a feedback on which can be a good compromise between Noise levels / Cornering / Grip levels on a Symmetric tyre?
Wonder why I didn't get any notification for a quote!.

Any way, the Hankook Ventus R-S2 s are doing good. No complains. The tyres are not noisy unlike tyres with soft compound. Impressed with the grip level too.

They aren't available now.
planet_rocker is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 15:18   #635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
My friend's Linea is running on stock 175/70 R14. ..
Does he have a Linea classic?
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 06:59   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Does he have a Linea classic?
Yes, he owns a Linea Classic.
bharatbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 10:31   #637
BHPian

Hi guys,

I have been running Michelin XM1/XM2 175/70 R13 tyres on 13 inch alloy wheels for a long time now. Got average life of around 30k kms from every set of tyres and I usually used to change only two tyres at a time moving the old tyres to the back and installing new tyres on the front.

I have recently moved to Himachal Pradesh and the roads aren't as good over here as they were in Chandigarh. Also running has increased and the wheels also don't stay aligned for long due to the car getting driven a lot on bad potholed roads.
I am seeing some toe wear and it is especially bad on the rear tyres as they are older. The suspension has been changed not long ago and even the front tie-rods are new. The toe wear is less severe on the front tyres. So despite them being asymmetrical tyres, I have put the inside side on the outside for now as I don't drive fast in the hills.

I am therefore looking for a solution. Should I be getting alignment done every 2k kms now. Also I was thinking of upsizing both wheels and tyres and moving back to steel rims as they might survive better on bad roads.

So what tyres would you guys recommend as an upsize and also which are more wear resistant due to the harsher road conditions over here.
rdst_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 12:56   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Hi guys,
So what tyres would you guys recommend as an upsize and also which are more wear resistant due to the harsher road conditions over here.
By upsize, I assume you are going for 14". Regarding tyres, the most popular suggestion is 185/65/14 & 185/60/14. Of these two, I suggest the later 185/60/14. GC is not a problem in palio, thus the extra tall side wall height of 65 profile tyres is not of much practical use. Some users have reported tyre brushing with the wheel arches with 65 profile tyres. Have used 60 profile tyres in a relatively heavy Petra diesel and observed ride and handling improve over stock size.

Coming to the tyre build, choose one with hard side walls. I may never in my life buy any Michelin tyre. Had a very bad experience with 4 all new Michelin XM1+ going bad one by one. Michelins are silent is a doubtful claim. After a few hundreds of kilometers, michelins are equally noisy. Bridgestone potenza(if still available) is a right mix of sporty performance and tough build. Noise level is also acceptable.

Hope this helps.
prokinetic is offline   Reply With Quote