Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 17th May 2015, 11:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Tyre life-span dilemma

Hi folks,

My 2009 Safari EX 4x4 is just about completing 6 years now with ~45K kms on the odo. While the stock Bridgestone Duelers are doing their job diligently (have not had a single puncture or skid so far), the wear is even, and tread still seems to have life, I am apprehensive about the age factor! How do I decide if the time has indeed come to change the footwear for my truck?

Thanks in advance...
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 13:08   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Tyre life-span dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Hi folks,

My 2009 Safari EX 4x4 is just about completing 6 years now with ~45K kms on the odo. While the stock Bridgestone Duelers are doing their job diligently (have not had a single puncture or skid so far), the wear is even, and tread still seems to have life, I am apprehensive about the age factor! How do I decide if the time has indeed come to change the footwear for my truck?

Thanks in advance...
Experts on Team-BHP have suggested tyre change after 5-6 years even if there is adequate tread depth left. This is because the rubber turns hard in the course of time; irrespective of the amount of running.

I have around 35% tread depth left (before wear indicator) after 44000 km on odo on my 2011 SX4 Zxi. I measured the tread depth with a vernier caliper and calculations show that I can run these tyres till 64000 km. Tyres balanced and aligned from time to time, air pressure maintained. And, whenever the situation forced me to brake hard, the tyre maintained the grip, ABS did not come into picture. So, at least till 2016, I am thinking to continue with these tyres. After that, I will check the tyre hardness and decide.

If you have any contacts in the general rubber industry, you can check the tyre hardness with a meter. If the hardness is more than 70 on Shore A scale, change the tyres. New tyres have harness of 60 Shore A.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 17th May 2015 at 13:10.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote