Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 14th October 2008, 21:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Quick question on tires for Getz

Car - Getz GL 1.3
Stock tires - 155/80/13
Brand - Bridgestone GPS 2
KMs run - 25,000 till date
Age of tires - 4 years

1st query
I have to buy a new tire to be used as spare. The dealer gave me the following options:
1. Bridgestone GPS 2 - May 2007 manufactured
2. Bridgestone GT 3 - Sep 2006 manufactured

Should I buy such an old tire? More so, if it is to be used as a spare tire and will (hopefully) not see the roads often?

Or should I just buy the same spec tire of a different brand? The dealer is saying that both GPS 2 and GT 3 are slow moving hence out of stock for this spec.

2nd query
Also, the dealer was telling me that irrespective of the mileage or the tread left, I should replace all 5 tires as the rubber starts deteriorating after 4 years.

I had picked up the car at 17,000 kms on the odometer (the previous owner didn't use it much) and have clocked 8,000 kms in 10 months. The tires are good enough for at least another 20-25,000 kms.

But the dealer's statement has got me worried. He said that I should not use any tire beyond 4 years as chances of tire burst on long drives and highways is considerably higher.

Is there truth in his statement?

Gurus, please advise.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 21:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
1st query
I have to buy a new tire to be used as spare. The dealer gave me the following options:

Quick reply
No such tire exists. Where did u find them?
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 21:19   #3
BHPian

Certainly going for such old tires does not make sense.One way the dealer is telling you not to use tires for more than four years and on the other hand he is ready to sell you 1.5-2 year old manufactured tires.As far as my knowledge goes i think the rubber gets stiff after such a long period of time.Try another dealer.You shouldnt have a problem getting recently manufactured tires in this size.
DjNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 21:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Rubber ages/oxidises with time. Compared to when new, your tyres have got slightly harder...due to this the grip of your tyres might have lowered slightly.

Just check for cracks, if any have developed. If not, I wouldnt worry too much about blowouts.

Here is an article about the same... Tire Tech Information - Tire Aging , but remember aging in India will be faster than aging in US/UK

Last edited by AbhiJ : 14th October 2008 at 21:36.
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 21:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nishant
The dealer is right. Don't do high-speed long distances with the tyres. Even if the tread is fine the tyres should be changed after 5 years max. When you change, do change all four together.
If you are buying just one spare tyre buy the cheapest one available in market and try to get the original size. Buy the latest tyre. Don't bother about the brand.
Do read up the The Car Maintenance Bibles tyre section. It is the best possible resource on tyres.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 21:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the typo. My bad Kp. I meant Goodyear and not Bridgestone. Rest of the info is correct!
Old 15th October 2008, 02:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should I buy such an old tire? More so, if it is to be used as a spare tire and will (hopefully) not see the roads often?
Buying a tyre older than 6 months is NOT recommended.

Ideally, all 5 tyres are supposed to be rotated in a pattern. So your statement that it wont see the roads often dosent hold if you follow the 5 tyre rotation pattern. IMO, your best bet is you should buy a new tyre of the same make which is not more than 6 months old. In this scenario, your 5th tyre also gets used to the same extent, and pays for itself, so that in reality it is at no extra cost.

However, if your use is such that your tyres reach the end of their life due to age, and not due to running, then the 5th tyre will not pay for itself. In that case you might be better off following a 4 tyre rotation pattern on your good tyres, and not include the 5th not-so-reliable tyre in the rotation.

IMO, a good tyre can be used at least for 6 years. 4 years is way too soon, unless you are flush with funds. In fact, we have used our Good Years for 7+ years without any problem. However, after 6 years, you start stretching your luck a bit, esp. if you do fast highway driving.

However, do check your tyre for any abnormalities like bulging/cracks, etc. If present, you probably have a bad brand (unless the tyre was involved in some mishap); and may be worth replacing.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 10:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post

Ideally, all 5 tyres are supposed to be rotated in a pattern. So your statement that it wont see the roads often dosent hold if you follow the 5 tyre rotation pattern. IMO, your best bet is you should buy a new tyre of the same make which is not more than 6 months old. In this scenario, your 5th tyre also gets used to the same extent, and pays for itself, so that in reality it is at no extra cost.

However, if your use is such that your tyres reach the end of their life due to age, and not due to running, then the 5th tyre will not pay for itself. In that case you might be better off following a 4 tyre rotation pattern on your good tyres, and not include the 5th not-so-reliable tyre in the rotation.

IMO, a good tyre can be used at least for 6 years. 4 years is way too soon, unless you are flush with funds. In fact, we have used our Good Years for 7+ years without any problem. However, after 6 years, you start stretching your luck a bit, esp. if you do fast highway driving.

However, do check your tyre for any abnormalities like bulging/cracks, etc. If present, you probably have a bad brand (unless the tyre was involved in some mishap); and may be worth replacing.
I have done 4 tire rotation only till now, every 5,000 kms. So the spare was as good as new.

I did notice some bulging on the front tires, but thought that it was the result of under/over inflation rather than tire aging. Cracks (touchwood) are not on any of the tires.
Old 15th October 2008, 11:22   #9
BHPian

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
And what is the logic behind this statement ??
WasavaTyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 16:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Obviously because rubber ages with time! Also if you consider that a tyre is good for 6 years after manufacture, then if you buy it say 1.5 years after manufacture, then in effect you have a tyre which is good for only about 4.5 years! Also, there may be other factors... like unused tyres, like in a shop rack may deteriorate faster. Not too sure about this though. So better to be safe and not pick up anything beyond 6 months old, max.

NishantGhandhi, if you have 5 tyes, you should ideally opt for 5 tyre rotation pattern only. Else, you are actually "wasting" your 5th tyre! Also, you may not find out that its not roadworthy (when you really need it) if its never used!
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 17:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Is it true that Michelin's warehouses are humidity controlled?
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 17:38   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Car - Getz GL 1.3
Stock tires - 155/80/13
Age of tires - 4 years

1st query

Or should I just buy the same spec tire of a different brand? The dealer is saying that both GPS 2 and GT 3 are slow moving hence out of stock for this spec.

2nd query
Also, the dealer was telling me that irrespective of the mileage or the tread left, I should replace all 5 tires as the rubber starts deteriorating after 4 years.

I had picked up the car at 17,000 kms on the odometer (the previous owner didn't use it much) and have clocked 8,000 kms in 10 months. The tires are good enough for at least another 20-25,000 kms.

But the dealer's statement has got me worried. He said that I should not use any tire beyond 4 years as chances of tire burst on long drives and highways is considerably higher.

Gurus, please advise.
Nishant - how is this a quick question? That is my question.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 17:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Nishant - how is this a quick question? That is my question.
Didnt get your question Sam.

Are you mentioning w.r.t the length of the question?

What happened was that when I started writing down my question, I just had the 1st point in mind. But then while writing, I thought of asking the second one as well to get a complete view. Thats why it got longer in length than what was planned.

I am quite verbose, and hence prone to long, winding statements.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 15th October 2008 at 18:02.
Old 15th October 2008, 18:02   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What happened was that when I started writing down my question, I just had the 1st point in mind. But then while writing, I thought of asking the second one as well to get a complete view. Thats why it got longer in length than what was planned.
I accept your explanation. You may proceed with your quest for a tyre.

Godspeed and all that.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 18:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quick reply find another dealer or brand , Recommended age is 6 years and follow 5 tyre rotation pattern.

Quote:
Car - Getz GL 1.3
Stock tires - 155/80/13
Age of tires - 4 years

1st query

2nd query

Gurus, please advise.
amitk26 is online now   Reply With Quote