Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 19th October 2008, 15:15   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The tyres are W rated which means they are certified for 270km/hr. How then?

Tadu - this is what I wanted to say as well. You're driving them well under their rated speed. So I still feel you have enough justification to pursue this with Yokohama India.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 15:22   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post

In this case, I tried 29, 30 and 32. The last trip to Mysore, it was running 30.
I meant Manufacturer recommended. If Hyundai says 30PSI, fill 33PSI when cold.
I am suspecting that due to increased frequency of flex, your tires are overheating due to "standing wave" mechanism.
Also check air pressure after a very fast drive, if its increased by a huge amount, it confirms overheating.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 15:46   #33
BHPian

Hi
I have the same set of tyres for my Palio S10 with Stage 2 mods. Initially drive was pathetic, then I have reduced the tyre pressure by 2psi, wheels started behaving all the more different. Probably that may not satisfy you to compare it with others, but can make your drive feel better.
naveen.kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 15:51   #34
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
I dont think I have managed to fully explain the havoc in the thread.
I have certailnly understood what you went through Tadu, as i know your driving pretty well, was just expressing that i was Surprised thats all .
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 17:54   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Ok, let me put in my perspective. I have driven/sat shotgun in these elantra's more than I have driven my own car in these last 1 year. I can fairly say, I know how these cars have behaved with change in weather conditions, to how they have responded through every stage of modding.

What I saw last night, was downright SCARY. All the regulars from Bangy know how Tadu drives. Some of them have sat in the Elantra even when it was doing speeds of 200 and never had a tiny drop of sweat pouring from their forehead. Last night, when Tadu informed me that he had picked up S drives I was eagerly waiting to see how they behaved.

For the first few minutes they seemed fine. But then havoc struck. I know the braking distance of the Elantra at the tip of my fingers. Lets just say the car refused to stop at almost every single unmarked speedbreaker we came to. Earlier with the Michelin's Tadu was running, he could have braked atleast 2 secs later and still come to a stand still 5 ft before the speedbreakers. With the S drives we barely managed to roll to 20 kmph till the front bumper crossed the speedbreaker from around 100 kmph.

I wonder how dangerous it would have been had the Elantra not come with ABS. The Elantra is supposed to be having one of the best braking systems. Infact it stops from 80-0 kmph in some 21.xx secs. Thats in the BMW, Merc league I hear.

As for the lateral grip it seems to be ok, but definitely not as good as the PP2 that are running on Satya's car. The lack of lateral grip can be overcome with quick steering control and clever use of the A pedal. Lack of grip under acceleration can seldom cause worries for a driver. But its the lack of grip under braking thats the most worrying factor for anyone. And from what I noticed on the Elantra the braking efficiency had gone down by more than 50%. So much that while the two elantra's ahead of us were doing speeds of easily 160 kmph and managed to stop in time Tadu elantra's was screeching tires from 120 kmph and barely managed to stop on time. On several occassions, Tadu had to just let go of the brakes to prevent bumper damage from hitting the speedbreaker.

This was the story till we hit Mysore. After dinner when we started to head back. There was this sharp turn. Tadu took it like he usually would with the Michelin's. The tires didn't protest. Then he braked for the speedbreaker, car stopped but with little protest. 15 mins later and some 25kms later we tried braking for another speedbreaker but the car wouldn't stop on time. Another sharp turn and the car would be all over the road.

Thus I came to the conclusion that these tires are heating up way too much and loosing grip. Because when they are cold initially for the first 10 mins they seem to be allright.

All those who have sat in the Elantra know how stable under braking it is. I have seen that car break from 200 to 0 without breaking a sweat. Last night, the car kept changing lanes under hard braking from about 140 kmph. I did ask Tadu to lower the psi by about 2-3 and see the difference.

I doubt it will change much, heck had I taken my swift D with stock tires to the drive I am sure it would have braked faster than the Elantra with S drives. And I am NOT KIDDING.

I have read loads of good reviews from people on this very forum. But my conclusion. Not many have a car thats as torquey as an Elantra. Not many drive at sustained speeds of over 140 kmph on the highways. Not many have a car thats as heavy as an Elantra. All these factors might have contributed to this pathetic show by the S drives.

I am really glad for having picked up the Neova's as I was planning to pick up the S drives too at that time. Had I, I would have been history by now. All of us that went to the drive have suggested Tadu to get rid of this tires and pick up PP2's or Advan Sport.

On a scale of 10 I would give the S drives a -10 for the way the behaved on the Elantra. I know most of them wont believe me, but you will if you sit in the Elantra from the 15th minute onwards.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 19:43   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The tyres are W rated which means they are certified for 270km/hr. How then?
Then its definitely a case as mentioned by tsk.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 19:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Till now there is no negative feedback using S-drives on Swift.
Im running 205/55/15 and the Bangalore Michelin Man+Parts dealer doesnt like em

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
On a scale of 10 I would give the S drives a -10 for the way the behaved on the Elantra.
Glad you mentioned that because I would have called it an unfair rating otherwise.

Where's iceman91, he's someone has has recently got a pair of S-Drives, his experience would also be useful on this thread.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 21:03   #38
BHPian

Is it possible for you guys to swap the S drives to another elantra & test it? it will surely confirm that tyres are not up to mark on high performance vehicle.
Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 21:06   #39
Team-BHP Support

BTW - Did you run in the tyres, i.e. avoid high speeds and harsh acceleration for 300 km before you "challenged" them.

I had no probs with ES's on the Honda, One early morning track run at MMSC, it did nearly 15 laps with no deterioration. Again, I need to hold judgement with S drives on the skoda but I'm happy with them
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 21:37   #40
BHPian

I've had a couple of minor braking scares in my Swift after switching to S-drives about four months ago. High speed braking performance seems to be poorer than the stock JK Vectras that the car came with (and those were terrible tyres).

In all other ways the S-drives are superior. Lateral grip is better. Grip under hard acceleration is better (not that the Swift is powerful enough to really test this). But high-speed braking is a little scary. If I'm trying to slow down from anywhere between 80kph - 140kph, the initial reaction to a jab on the brakes is virtually nothing.

Right now I'm just being a little more careful when driving (leaving more distance for breaking, allowing larger gaps to the car ahead etc). I had initially thought this might be a brake related problem, but MASS checked the brakes about a month after I changed the tyres and said that they're ok.

I'll try to find out if this has anything to do with tyre temperature. Maybe next weekend.

Perhaps Tadu and I got tyres out of a bad batch. Or maybe they're fakes. Very popular tyres such as the S-drives must be the most common targets for the counterfeiters.
theEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 22:54   #41
BHPian

Ouch. Poor Ikon. Mine's a 1.6 too.

I've learned one thing about driving in India. Driving really fast for long stretches just isn't worth it.
I live in Bombay, and traffic is a total nightmare compared to what it was just a couple of years ago, and it gets worse by the day.
And it's no different on the highways either. Even if it's a stretch of highway that you may be familiar with, there are just wayyy too many surprises.... roadkill, an overnight pothole, an overnight speedbreaker, some idiot veering into your lane or your side of the road when you least expect him too.... there's just too much that can go wrong.

I still love driving fast, and I occasionally do so, but not for sustained periods. I do short bursts, and then drive relaxed.

I hope you figure out your tyre woes. Till then, drive safe.

Quote:
The Ikon is one my favourite cars, for the sustained speeds it can do! But, braking is a serious issue.

The road we went on yesterday has some killer road humps, without proper warning etc. Right after one such hump, we met a Ikon 1.6, practically broken in half. Obviously, could not slow down in time.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 23:26   #42
Team-BHP Support

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
. The Elantra is supposed to be having one of the best braking systems. Infact it stops from 80-0 kmph in some 21.xx secs. Thats in the BMW, Merc league I hear.
Did you mean 21 meters?I agree to rest of the part,i feel the pedal has just the right feel while not being overservoed but people call it to be too spongy,in comparison i find Verna's brakes to be a bit overservoed and requiring more caution while modulation in city.

@tadu : i am very surprised to read about behaviour of S drives on your car as i have read very nice reviews online,how about contacting Yokohama india and trying the tyres on some other elantra as you have other elantras around?

Last edited by .anshuman : 19th October 2008 at 23:30.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 23:45   #43
BHPian

OT...... OMG my favorite car, in such a bad situation, tadu... what all are you doing to it when I'm not there??
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 05:16   #44
Senior - BHPian

Finally someone has realised they're nowhere near as good as the Michelins. They're like fancy G-IIIs, that's about it.

Tadu, see if you can sack them and pick up BFG Sports or Continentals. I'm surprised you didn't pick up Continentals in the first place.

Last edited by v1p3r : 20th October 2008 at 05:17.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 11:05   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Tadu - this is what I wanted to say as well. You're driving them well under their rated speed. So I still feel you have enough justification to pursue this with Yokohama India.
I can probably take it up, was just afraid of the time it would take me to follow this up...

Was also searching Google for contact information for Yokohama India, not able to find them. Can somebody please forward contact details for customer support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
Is it possible for you guys to swap the S drives to another elantra & test it? it will surely confirm that tyres are not up to mark on high performance vehicle.
I dont know whether it worth wasting another good drive for these... Do you really really want that test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
BTW - Did you run in the tyres, i.e. avoid high speeds and harsh acceleration for 300 km before you "challenged" them.
Yes, did that.

Also, just to make sure you guys understand more about my tire usage, some numbers -

The last set of Michelin Energy lasted ~45,000Kms on the Elantra. And that includes some ~10 laps on a track day.
On my previous two cars(Accent/Santro), I changed the factory Bridgestones after ~60,000Kms, only to sell the cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
I've had a couple of minor braking scares in my Swift after switching to S-drives about four months ago. High speed braking performance seems to be poorer than the stock JK Vectras that the car came with (and those were terrible tyres).

In all other ways the S-drives are superior. Lateral grip is better. Grip under hard acceleration is better (not that the Swift is powerful enough to really test this). But high-speed braking is a little scary. If I'm trying to slow down from anywhere between 80kph - 140kph, the initial reaction to a jab on the brakes is virtually nothing.
More or less my primary problem as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
Perhaps Tadu and I got tyres out of a bad batch. Or maybe they're fakes. Very popular tyres such as the S-drives must be the most common targets for the counterfeiters.
That is one question I have for the forum, is it even possible to manufacture counterfeits for tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Did you mean 21 meters?
He probably meant the 21.xx meters from the autocar review. HYUNDAI ELANTRA CRDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
OT...... OMG my favorite car, in such a bad situation, tadu... what all are you doing to it when I'm not there??
All is fine, just a momentary moment of stupidity. Shall fix soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Finally someone has realised they're nowhere near as good as the Michelins. They're like fancy G-IIIs, that's about it.

Tadu, see if you can sack them and pick up BFG Sports or Continentals. I'm surprised you didn't pick up Continentals in the first place.
Am I relieved to find somebody else who says the same! Actually, we were betting when we were coming back from the drive that nobody will believe if I post a negative review.

Also, can you help me sell these? And they still look new, no chipping or any other visible damage.
tadukuttan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote