Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 24th October 2008, 12:44   #91
Team-BHP Support

Sameel, the tyres are rated at W rated i.e. 270km/hr. I doubt the elantra can cross even 250kmph.

Moreover I believe Tadu has tested on bangalore mysore highway as well as bangalore kerala highway.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 12:59   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Clearly indicates that the Elantra and S.drive combination does not work.
I doubt the S-Drives came with an Elantra detector as OE. Only "silica" was OE.

As mclaren clearly explained, I just think I was used to better grip levels present even in the comfort patterns from Michelin, and the Yokohamas simply did not have grip levels anywhere close to that.
tadukuttan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 13:03   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post

the express ways are mostly concrete dont pull off such tests!

i had a bad experience.!! the stock MRF on verna ABS are V rated 210kmph!! i did a rockin 200-220kmph in the bypass for a nice while but i never cruised even at 140kmph!! i just reached top whenever i could and then ease off. but all this made the tyres hot and it never gave up..everything is fine..i came into kerala...rain..the tyres got cooled down pretty fast and i started ripping in the rain...front right tyre boom!! it wasnt scaary..i thought i was dead!!!

so stay in limits
peace out

Sameel I'd suggest not trying such stunts on MRF if you wish to be in one piece . They have absolutely zero grip and are pretty terrible under braking. If you wish to do high speeds, please get better rubber. Had that piece of junk in my dad's old zen for a while. Its just atrocious.

V rated is 240km/hr. I don't think MRF has any rubber that can actually do that. It shouldn't even be compared to michelins for that matter. The PP2 that Tadu just installed on his car is V rated too and this tyre easily holds up at 170-180km/hr over long distances. I've personally done that so can attest to the fact. The grip under braking is stupendous and the car does not twitch at all.

The only downer is treadwear. The tyre won't last longer than 30000km. Infact I'm guessing I might have to replace it past 25000km. That ends up being quite pricey to say the least. (more than Re 1/km) However you get what you pay for.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 16:46   #94
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Tadu, I am glad your problem is solved. Now how about a drive Saturday night to fishland?

Guys, actually let me play a bit of spoil sport here. PP2 are quite amazing for highway cruising. Get those tires on track and they will behave as badly as the S.Drives did on the elantra. I am saying this after driving both ROC's Cedia and CMIUC's elantra shod with PP2's.

If the PP2's last for like just 25,000 kms I guess AD07's are a safer bet. They cost as much, far superior and last about the same. Atleast my set did..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 17:00   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Tadu, I am glad your problem is solved. Now how about a drive Saturday night to fishland?

Guys, actually let me play a bit of spoil sport here. PP2 are quite amazing for highway cruising. Get those tires on track and they will behave as badly as the S.Drives did on the elantra. I am saying this after driving both ROC's Cedia and CMIUC's elantra shod with PP2's.

If the PP2's last for like just 25,000 kms I guess AD07's are a safer bet. They cost as much, far superior and last about the same. Atleast my set did..
What about the road noise and fuel efficiency?
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 17:17   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you know the price of AD07 with bill & warranty in 205/55 R15?? You just might revise that statement Rahul. They cost about 8k+ per tyre.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 17:27   #97
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
What about the road noise and fuel efficiency?
Nikhil, when you are doing 200+ I don't think road noise will matter a lot as much as keeping an eye on the road ahead of you . Fuel efficiency could be a bit of a compromise. But on highways I am getting around 9kmpl, stock used to be around 11kmpl. 2kmpl for unparalleled grip levels and brilliant braking? I shall take that 10 out of 10 times anyday.

Ishaan, I know someone who is selling the same size for 28k. And thats for others, not me. Only wish I had the dough to pick up another set. Mine are going to last for just another 5k.

Even if they do cost 8k or thereabout I still think they are worth it. Ishaan, you should join us on one of the drives/track days. Sometimes even PP2's wont be enough. And safety comes ahead of everything. I know you will nod in agreement too.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 24th October 2008 at 17:28.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 17:55   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ishaan, I know someone who is selling the same size for 28k. And thats for others, not me. Only wish I had the dough to pick up another set. Mine are going to last for just another 5k.
That's a good price. Are they with B&W or grey market?

Quote:
Even if they do cost 8k or thereabout I still think they are worth it. Ishaan, you should join us on one of the drives/track days. Sometimes even PP2's wont be enough. And safety comes ahead of everything. I know you will nod in agreement too.
Well for serious enthusiasts yes, there' nothing like it. But for most other people it's money wasted. You know how a vast majority of the buying public thinks. In comparison, PP2's are about 6-6.4k per piece

And I would love to try a set on my next car just for comparison standards. Not that I really need them considering that PP2's are perfect (more than perfect for most drivers actually) for normal road use & to do a trackday here (up north) I'll probably have to wait till 2045 or whenever they decide to build that F1 circuit!

Will take you up on that track day invite soon enough though. It's about time.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2008, 02:03   #99
BHPian

Are you guys talking about the yokohama S drive A1, saw a 205/55 R 16 for 5000 rs , thought of buying them, any better tryes available at this price cause having doubts of buying them.
ab1xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2008, 09:25   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
Running a set of PP2s now, and needless to say, I no longer have any braking, or other grip issues. Car is just as good as it was before.

I got a good offer for the tires from a dealer, and had to let go quickly. Probably not the coolest thing to do, but I got most of my money back.

Sorry about not being able to do any further test etc. Had left messages with friends to find somebody willing to resell the tires, and the call came yesterday evening, before the weekend when I was planning to do some more "testing".
Great..!!!
This thread has helped me a lot tadu to decide tyres for my ride, i had planned S drives earlier but now after your experience i have dumped that & have plans for PP2 or AD07.
Tyres are the only contact path between the car & road and its worth spending few thousand rs extra when it comes to safety with spirited driving.
Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2008, 09:57   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1xlr8 View Post
Are you guys talking about the yokohama S drive A1, saw a 205/55 R 16 for 5000 rs , thought of buying them, any better tryes available at this price cause having doubts of buying them.
You must have seen Yokohama A drive R1
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2008, 10:06   #102
Senior - BHPian

There's a one thousand rupee difference in the prices of a 205/60 R15 PP2 and a 205/55 R15 AD07 with the AD07 costing more.

The 205/55 R15 PP2 is around 800 bucks cheaper than the 205/60 R15 PP2. Strange stuff indeed.

Its between these two for my next set of tyres. I'd mostly be getting the neovas.

Edit: Forgot to mention a funny incident yesterday at Nikhil's shop. I had gone to get my tyres rotated/aligned/balanced.
One joker turns up with an accord shod with 225/45 R17 Pilot Sports 2 tyres. One of the tyres seemingly had bubbled and
hence Mr "D00d" decides to replace all his PS2s out of which only one had a bulge with Yoko A-Drive R1s because they are cheaper . Tried to explain to him the mistake he was doing but well god help the guy. He's more concerned about his bling alloys than safety or grip. Some people just can't be helped.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 25th October 2008 at 10:22.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2008, 11:36   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
I was used to better grip levels present even in the comfort patterns from Michelin, and the Yokohamas simply did not have grip levels anywhere close to that.
Do you mean here, XM1s, Certis, Vivacy, MXV8 grips better than ES100, S.drives, A539s, Neovas etc...
itzzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2008, 11:43   #104
Team-BHP Support

Well he was running Michelin energy XM1 before this and he was happier with those compared to the S.drives.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2008, 11:45   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
One joker turns up with an accord shod with 225/45 R17 Pilot Sports 2 tyres. One of the tyres seemingly had bubbled and
hence Mr "D00d" decides to replace all his PS2s out of which only one had a bulge with Yoko A-Drive R1s because they are cheaper .
At least this dood has only shifted from Michelin PS to Yokohama. I have seen ppl having Nankang and other crappy tires on their Accords and higher segment cars...

BTW Do u really need Neovas for your Cedia?
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote