Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 5th November 2008, 11:44   #1
BHPian

Default Camber setting deviation on Palio 1.2 ELX

Hello,

Greetings!

I drive a 2003 model Palio 1.2 ELX in Chennai. I have done 50k kms on the odometer, and changed my Bridgestone stock tyres to a set of new ones. During wheel alignment at MGM tyres in Luz Mylapore, the reading showed that the camber setting has deviated from the min and max level settings. The wheel alignment technician suggested that I need to correct that by doing a slight modification on the camber and reverting the camber settings to zero levels. He quoted a charge of Rs 500 for the camber seting corrections.

I wasnt sure so I took the car to my local mechanic who took a test drive and assured me that there was nothing wrong with the suspension of my car, and that the camber settings are factory fixed and cannot be altered to zero levels.

A point to note is that my bs stock tires has worn out unevenly i.e on the sides.

The wheel alignment technician advised to get the camber corected in order to ensure that the tyres do not wear unevenly.

I request the experts to suggest and advice an appropriate course of action to get the above issue resolved, and also to direct me to some good local mechanic who can administer to the service requirements of my car.

Thanks & regards,

Tanveer
sparkglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 18:35   #2
BHPian

The old tires of my palio had worn out from the inside - the front tires I mean.

The following is the wheel alignment reading of my car:

Initial
Min Spec
Max Spec
Final

camber
left

right

The wheel alignment technician said that if the camber reading is not modified and adjusted to zero levels then the front tyres of the car will continue to wear out from the inside. He also said that normally most wheel alignment centers dont undertake such modifications to correct the camber deviations and bring it to zero level. They undertake such works becoz they have the expertise and such wheel alignment equipment to support.

He also said that this corection will stay for good unless some suspension overhaul work is done on the car.

Kindly advise....

Thanks & regards,

Tanveer
sparkglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 18:54   #3
BHPian

The only reliable way to fix front camber on Palio is to change the lower arm and/or Strut. I wouldn't advice to go for any adjustments at the wheel alignment center and would rather suggest that you take the car to Fiat Serice Center.

And the camber readings don't have to be zero-zero. The suggested camber reading for Palio is -30 with some tolerance range which I don't remember now.
akbaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 10:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

The service guys told me just now that the lower arm has to be replaced. He said I can live with the faulty one, but he would recommend a replacement, which is in the range of Rs. 3600. Guess I should go for it, what do you guys say?

The problem was, when the front RH tyre negotiates a hump at good spees, there's a knocking metallic sound which is very annoying.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 12:10   #5
BHPian

Tanveer,

I too did face the same problem of uneven worn out of front tires. I know a local mechanic who advised me to get the camber adjustment done. Now, it appears like everything has got fixed. He did charge Rs.1200 for this work.

Experts, please let me know if he has made a fool out me. This mechanic did seem to be knowledgeable to explain technical things in a better way.
ravikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 12:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ravikn, I also had the issue of uneven wear in front tyres, got the Camber adjustment done at a Wheel alignment shop near Cantt. station, he too charged me around Rs.1500 (incld WA, WB & WR).
After that, everything seems to be fine.

Did u get it done at the same shop?
finneyp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 19:47   #7
BHPian

Hello Finneyp,

I got this work done by a local mechanic near chamarajpet. he used to work with Hariprasad automobiles earlier and now running his own business now. Thanks for sharing the information.
ravikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 20:15   #8
BHPian

@clevermax: If you have to take my advice, changing lower arm and/or strut is the only reliable way to fix camber.

The adjustments are done by making the strut joint ablong. I had got it done for my car and the adjustment doesn't stay and moves away. I actually had to change both my struts because of this issue.

Thanks
Anant
akbaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 11:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Camber ajustment?

I just got the toe-in/toe-out corrected for Rs. 300/-. I didnot make any changes in the camber / castor settings.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 20:35   #10
BHPian

I had the same prob of uneven wear on the front tyres last month, @28000km. The workshop advised me to get the suspension lower arm changed (about 4.5 k for the pair + labor). They also did the WB & alignment. After all this, i do not know if the problem of uneven wear has been corrected, but the car is now wobbling at lower speeds. (Some T-BHP members say I hv been taken for a ride. my local mech says even 50K km is too early)

Also the Camber readings with all this are similar to those reported by sparkglow - I got them checked at another shop too - and the tech friends now say these readings are normal , nothing is needed to be done, and I should have just stuck to tyre rotation every 5K kms.

I am still confused!
psp62in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 14:37   #11
BHPian

I own a 2002 Palio 1.2 ELX. Its done 47000 odd kms. There is a very very annoying sound that the car makes when it goes over some bump or even the smallest potholes. I can feel the sound coming from the front of the car, from the suspension system. I have just upgraded my tires too.

Will changing of the struts and front lower arms take care of this. If yes, how much should this exercise cost me?
iceman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 14:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

The attached file should give you an estimate of cost involved. i wanted to do up my GTX's suspension - it was making sounds while going over bumps and pot holes - the following work was done: Steering ball-joint overhaul. cost - 1200/-

Suspension Work Estimate.xls

Original data source: Raghvendra's GTX ownership thread.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 1st September 2009 at 14:54.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 12:43   #13
BHPian

My Palio 1.9 D had the camber reading close to 2 degrees. I had it done by filing the strut hole to adjust the camber setting.. after wards i figured out the ball joint on the lower arm also was worn out. Replaced and now i have the perfect suspension as if it is new. The vehicle had done close to 60 K kms.
Dont think changing lower arm and strut alone will solve the camber issue.
total cost for altering the hole and new lower arms at a local workshop in Bannerghatta road costed me
4400 Rs for the pair of lower arms
1000 Rs labour
1000 Rs for altering the camber adjustment
250 Rs for wheel alignment.
ajithbc is offline   Reply With Quote