Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 17th November 2008, 11:38   #1
BHPian

Default Need Fast Help :- Tire Pressure Monitoring

Hi all , speaking from Belgaum , Karnataka.
Just got 17 inch OZ rims for the accord , curtsy 4 seasons , need some tire pressure monitoring system for the tires. Can buy from anywhere in India no problem.
Can someone guide me towards whats available in the market?
Bosch? Hella?
Nothing cheap.
Need info fast.
Cheers people thank you all.
cyneverdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 11:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Xenos TPMS systems are easily available. Cost around 12k if I remember correctly. I don't think anybody is importing hella kits as yet.

I am using the Xenos system on my car and no problems as yet.
vikram_d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 11:46   #3
BHPian

Sounds great man , where did you get it from may I ask?
Old 17th November 2008, 11:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

I got it in Bangalore itself from one of the Xenos dealers. They typically don't keep this item in stock as hardly anybody asks for it. They will get it from Xenos only if you place a confirmed order.
Old 17th November 2008, 12:15   #5
BHPian

Cheers mate , just got the bangalore office number.
Old 17th November 2008, 15:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

I spoke to the guys at TyreProbe. MRP was 9900. Website: tyreprobe.com
ashutoshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 16:17   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
I spoke to the guys at TyreProbe. MRP was 9900. Website: tyreprobe.com
Saw the website. Installation seems quite simple.

One question to all though: The specifications say it can work in 95% humidity. What if you hit a bump or for any reason the valve leaks and the tyre goes in water resulting in water entering the pressure monitor? Is it repairable and are individual units available or you have to buy another full set?
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 17:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

The Scorpio mHAWK comes prefitted with tyretronics that is similar to tyreprobe gadget. A friend of mine recently went to his village in Haryana from where his came after driving through a deep puddle, slush, dung pool etc.

After service etc., the tyretronics is still working fine.. So I guess the tyreprobe gadget too should work fine..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Saw the website. Installation seems quite simple.

One question to all though: The specifications say it can work in 95% humidity. What if you hit a bump or for any reason the valve leaks and the tyre goes in water resulting in water entering the pressure monitor? Is it repairable and are individual units available or you have to buy another full set?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 20:09   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
The Scorpio mHAWK comes prefitted with tyretronics that is similar to tyreprobe gadget. A friend of mine recently went to his village in Haryana from where his came after driving through a deep puddle, slush, dung pool etc.

After service etc., the tyretronics is still working fine.. So I guess the tyreprobe gadget too should work fine..
That's because the tyreprobe is in the tyre and when inflated, the tyre hermitically seals it, thereby creating a water-tight compartment.
My question is what happens when this is breached by puncture or valve problem which results in water going inside.
Old 17th November 2008, 21:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Tejas, points 9 & 10 here - TYREPROBE would dispel quite a few of your doubts, I presume.
Old 18th November 2008, 07:21   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tejas, points 9 & 10 here - TYREPROBE would dispel quite a few of your doubts, I presume.
Thanks. It's good individual sensors are available. However, it doesn't answer water related query of mine. Because many at a times are cars may be parked in the monsoon on a road where water fills up 5-6 inches. I can't afford to change a sensor every year.
Old 18th November 2008, 12:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Right and point well taken. But as you said the tubeless tyres when inflated would hermetically seal the sides of the rim/alloy, will water seep in even if the vehicle is standing in 5-6" of water?

Secondly, in a tubeless, if a puncture happens for whatever reason, except bursting, air loss is very slow unlike that of tubed tyres. And the the tyre will not get deflated completely unless one removes the nail or something that is stuck in the tyre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
However, it doesn't answer water related query of mine. Because many at a times are cars may be parked in the monsoon on a road where water fills up 5-6 inches. I can't afford to change a sensor every year.
Old 18th November 2008, 14:15   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Right and point well taken. But as you said the tubeless tyres when inflated would hermetically seal the sides of the rim/alloy, will water seep in even if the vehicle is standing in 5-6" of water?

Secondly, in a tubeless, if a puncture happens for whatever reason, except bursting, air loss is very slow unlike that of tubed tyres. And the the tyre will not get deflated completely unless one removes the nail or something that is stuck in the tyre.
I meant if there is a damage to the valve and it's in water as well. Anyways, let's wait for someone to try it out and post long-term feedback.
Old 18th November 2008, 14:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

If there is a problem with the valve then you would have had a flat tyre and would have noticed it. If the valve fails when the vehicle is parked and that area gets flooded, then there is a chance of water entering it. Even in this case, a tubeless tyre will not go completely flat and there will be some air pressure inside it to resist watering flowing into the tyre.

I have been using this system from Xenos for the last year and a half and have not faced any problems with it. In fact one sensor failed during warranty period. Xenos replaced the entire set as the previous sensor was of an older model. So under warranty I got all the sensors upgraded free of cost. This was about a year back. No problems since then.

The only issue with the Xenos kit is that it is a 4 sensor model and not a 5 senor one like tyreprobe.
Old 5th December 2008, 00:43   #15
BHPian

Xenos for Rs 10 000 , just to say.