Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 29th July 2017, 11:11   #316
BHPian

Default Re: Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Hi Asitde,now that you've driven on your Continental MC5 for a few months now, how would you rate the experience compared to XM2 that you had before? I have stock XM2 on my 3.1/2 year old Honda City that I plan to replace soon with 195x60x15 tyres while retaining the spare tyre which hasn't been put to use yet.
The stock tyres on my City were XM1's and not XM2's, as I indicated in my earlier post you have quoted. Hence, I can compare the MC5's only with the XM1's. Even that is not a fair comparison, because the rubber of four year old tyres would definitely be harder than that of absolutely new tyres.

Well, the City is no longer my daily drive, it is now driven by our chauffeur, but on weekends I drive the car regularly. My regular drive now is a VW Polo GT TSI, but even on that new car, on the very next day after purchase I got the stock Goodyear 195/55/R16's changed to the Continental MC5.

That obviously says a lot, that I am very impressed with the MC5s. In the last 8-10 years, I have used, on 4-5 different cars, several Michelins (initially very very soft), Yokohama A-drives, Bridgestone Turanza ER60's and now the Continental MC5's. The general impression is that the MC5's stand out significantly.

I like them because of
  • Silence (minimum of road noise)
  • A very good balance between comfort and performance
  • Excellent dry and wet grip

I have posted elsewhere that on the XM1's, on sudden application of brakes, the City engaged the ABS quite a few times. After the switch to the MC5's, this has not happened even once with me.

I'd mention one particular thing about them though. The MC5's need, in my view, a longer break-in period than most other tyres I am familiar with in the last 10-15 years. They need, in my opinion, about 1000 kms to completely break in, while many other tyres would need about 200-500 kms for that.
asitkde is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 13:08   #317
BHPian

Default Re: Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
Got Maxxis MAZ1 205 55 15 fitted on OE rim.
guys these tires worn out after running 55k kms. I am satisfied with the performance, only a little tire noise was an issue. I want to go for deep dish alloys with 205/50/16 alloys. Is this gonna be ok?

Pls suggest and also the best tire in that size.
nick17s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 07:16   #318
BHPian

Now that MRF has launched its new tyres "PERFINZA" earlier this month, it will be good to see how they compare to the likes of Michelin XM2, Continental MC5 and Yoko Earth-1. These new tires appear to be squarely targeted at the high end cars with comfort being the focus.
outdoorlover is offline   Reply With Quote