Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 28th November 2008, 13:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Post # 15 in this thread looks more for a car owner whereas post # 1 was more for a Tyre shop owner.
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 15:43   #17
BHPian

Thanks for the informative thread Nikhil. I think you have managed to politely put all the observations you have made.
Path_Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 15:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Nikhil

you certainly have improvised fast.Post 15 was nice to read.

Confirm one thing though

whether we should have tyre pressure checked before WA/WB or not ?

checking afterwards of course is a usual activity.

i need to confirm whether incorrect tyre pressure affects WA/WB or not ?

thanks
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 17:04   #19
BHPian

Default Wheel Balancing

Hi Nikhil,

You are the right person to answer my concern. I changed my M800 5S tyres to Bridgestone Er60 Turanza tubeless tyres 4 months back. My car is fitted with Aura alloy wheels. When I changed my tyres, the technician said that he does not have sticker balancing wieghts, but putting normal weights in the inner side of the disc would give the same effect and does not make much difference. He set the balancing machine to balance only on the innerside of the disc. For some reason I feel that the car is feeling shivering in the steering above 90Km/h speed. Will a rebalancing with another technician with sticker weights pasted on inner and outer side of the disc make difference in my ride?

Also what will be the correct tyre pressure for ER60-14/80 R12. I mostly ride in city limits and only 1 or 2 people onboard.

One more question. What is the use of filling Nitrogen gas in the tyres?

Thanks,
Suresh
sureshshanmugam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 17:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
While tightening the bolts, make sure the technicians turn it once or twice with their hand first. Otherwise, the threading of the nut and bolt will get screwed. No pun intended
This is an extremely important point. If this is not done there is a very high chance of the lug nut being wrongly threaded onto the bolt. We don't realize anything at that point of time but the next time you try to open any of the lug nuts by hand they will not open. I have been through this problem once on my old esteem. We had to literally gas cut the bolt and nut from the wheel to remove it. Luckily it was not an alloy wheel so replacement was cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
It is always recommended to check tyre pressure before alignment and balancing just to make sure that all tyres are running the same pressure.

@Nikhil: I have been to your place a number of times and I was surprised to see that you still use the old analog pressure gauges at the shop except for the nitrogen filling equipment. Would it not be easier to use the new digital auto shut-off kinds that are being used in petrol bunks today. The only reason I am asking about this is because with the electronic gauge the error if any is constant on all wheels. I have seen a number of times on my car that with analog gauges the difference in pressure between the tyres is quite high.

Last edited by vikram_d : 28th November 2008 at 17:08.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 19:40   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post

@Nikhil: I have been to your place a number of times and I was surprised to see that you still use the old analog pressure gauges at the shop except for the nitrogen filling equipment. Would it not be easier to use the new digital auto shut-off kinds that are being used in petrol bunks today. The only reason I am asking about this is because with the electronic gauge the error if any is constant on all wheels. I have seen a number of times on my car that with analog gauges the difference in pressure between the tyres is quite high.
Because to be frank, it is difficult to get a digital gauge which is accurate. If you see the gauges we use, they are almost perfect. Get any well calibrated gauge and see the margin of error

I am looking into this though. We had a digital gauge for filling normal air and it died. We looked on J C road but couldnt get a good replacement. So, now that too is an analog gauge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Thanks Nikhil

you certainly have improvised fast.Post 15 was nice to read.

Confirm one thing though

checking afterwards of course is a usual activity.

i need to confirm whether incorrect tyre pressure affects WA/WB or not ?

thanks
Before balancing is best. However, there will not be too much difference if it is checked after too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshshanmugam View Post
Hi Nikhil,

You are the right person to answer my concern. I changed my M800 5S tyres to Bridgestone Er60 Turanza tubeless tyres 4 months back. My car is fitted with Aura alloy wheels. When I changed my tyres, the technician said that he does not have sticker balancing wieghts, but putting normal weights in the inner side of the disc would give the same effect and does not make much difference. He set the balancing machine to balance only on the innerside of the disc. For some reason I feel that the car is feeling shivering in the steering above 90Km/h speed. Will a rebalancing with another technician with sticker weights pasted on inner and outer side of the disc make difference in my ride?

Also what will be the correct tyre pressure for ER60-14/80 R12. I mostly ride in city limits and only 1 or 2 people onboard.

One more question. What is the use of filling Nitrogen gas in the tyres?

Thanks,
Suresh
Balancing: There are special clip on weights that are to be used exclusively with alloy wheels. We also stock them in our shop to be used on customers' request. If that is what has been used on your wheels, it's ok. IF you are having a wobbling or vibration problem, make sure the balancing has been done properly. Take it back to the same centre or maybe a different better place.

Pressure to be filled is about 30 PSI. + or - 2 PSI shouldbe ok.

Nitrogen Inflation: There are many differing views. I dont want to say anything as someone will come and bite my head off!!

Please go through this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-nitrogen.html (Inflating tyres with dry nitrogen)
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 19:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Because to be frank, it is difficult to get a digital gauge which is accurate. If you see the gauges we use, they are almost perfect. Get any well calibrated gauge and see the margin of error
The error I am talking about is human (technician) error. When the work load is more these problems happen. With the auto cut off gauges (the ones that sound a long beep when preset pressure is reached) that can be eliminated. I know analog gauges can be very accurate. I own one. But with these you need time to get the pressure just right.

Note: Even if the digital gauge is a little off, at least the error will be the same across all tyres. Also the margin of error can be measured.

Last edited by vikram_d : 28th November 2008 at 19:49.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 19:51   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The error I am talking about is human (technician) error. When the work load is more these problems happen. With the auto cut off gauges (the ones that sound a long beep when preset pressure is reached) that can be eliminated. I know analog gauges can be very accurate. I own one. But with these you need time to get the pressure just right.

Note: Even if the digital gauge is a little off, at least the error will be the same across all tyres. Also the margin of error can be measured.
Human error is a possibility. Let's see. I am looking at a lot of new things for our shop . The Digital gauge is a good idea. Will look into it.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 19:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Nikhil for sharing these useful tips!

I regularly visit your shop (Madhus) near Richmond Circle for WB, WR and WA.
The guys there do a good job!
And I do recommend this place to anyone who ask for WA in Blore.

Keep it up!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2017, 08:17   #25
BHPian

Default Re: Do's and don't's when you go in for a tyre change/WA/WB

The first post felt more like a etiquette and soft skills rant.
bharatbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2017, 18:24   #26
BHPian

Sorry for posting in this thread as am not able to post in the team directory thread.
Hi Nikhil,

I drive a 2013 Honda Amaze SMT (ivtec).

I have done 51500 km on OEM tyres and I wish to replace them.

I was interested in Yokohama Earth 1 but I read that you are trialing the new MRF's. Which one you will recommend, my usage pattern is 50% in city & 50% on highway.

And can I come for a tyre change this coming Saturday morning.

Thanks & Regards
distiller is offline   Reply With Quote