Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 9th December 2008, 06:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
in the 2nd pic, there is a hole in the tire below the left nail. wonder how is he running on that tire also!!
You are absolutely right. But that's not a full fledged hole. I think these bolts were heated up and then hammered in. The hole you see is an incomplete one. I think they just started sinking the bolt in there first and then decided to change the position of the bolt. So it's essentially a very neat one cm deep depression.

I was thinking just how unsafe our vehicles are. And the drivers think these are very solid fool proof methods of reinforcements. These vehicle would get certificate of fitness without an inspection and then get overloaded.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 08:47   #17
Team-BHP Support

Sudipto, it's a very old technique for truckers. I'm surprised that you haven't seen this before. But that again shows my age.

There's a other piece of rubber (part of side wall from other tyre) gummed inside and bolted. They've taken only the inner layer (nylon braided inside layer) of the side wall to do this. To protect bolts puncturing tube there is additional reinforcement of rubber layer.

Alas! They didn't have tubeless tyres those days..

Off topic: Old tyres were also used for making sandals for the poor. Especially for those migrated labor.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 09:13   #18
BHPian

So, is this just about reinforcement? I really cant get it!!
dr_know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 10:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Sudipto, it's a very old technique for truckers. I'm surprised that you haven't seen this before. But that again shows my age.

There's a other piece of rubber (part of side wall from other tyre) gummed inside and bolted. They've taken only the inner layer (nylon braided inside layer) of the side wall to do this. To protect bolts puncturing tube there is additional reinforcement of rubber layer.

Alas! They didn't have tubeless tyres those days..

Off topic: Old tyres were also used for making sandals for the poor. Especially for those migrated labor.
I didn't realise that one could reinforce tyre sidewalls like that but I could well assume that that was the intention. I have even seen jute bag jutting out from the torn out portion of truck tyres (presumably it has been kept inside as a reinforcement). But such a neat bolt on job is something that I have never seen before. Jotodin baanchi totodin shikhi. I learn for as long as I live.
And yes I have seen poor man's sandals made neatly out of tyres in my childhood. But then either the Chinese imports have become even cheaper than those or their target customers have become richer, for I don't see those sandals for sale any more.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 11:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Whether this is Indian Ingenuity at work or not, the trucks with these tyres post a big risk on the roads. Nothing most probably happens to the trucks if the tyre blasts at high speeds other than dashing/killing some others on the road not only because of the loss of control but also nuts flying at the speeds of bullets from a gun!! Imagine!!
getsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 11:27   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
for I don't see those sandals for sale any more.
Yes, they don't make them any more. Premature death of some super skill, must say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Whether this is Indian Ingenuity at work or not, the trucks with these tyres post a big risk on the roads.
Yes they do. But these are only used for city transports like sand and bricks. All the trucks in this country carry more than their specified weight carrying capacity. Risk is not only with tyres here.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 11:39   #22
BHPian

Truckkers in India are really very innovative. I am sure this is just one of them.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 11:52   #23
BHPian

Thats fixing the sidewall cracks on the tyres which is quite common among lorries. The same cab be seen in parts of Bangalore and Mysore.
Hemanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 20:10   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Lol. seems that the bolt heads are pasted on the tyres.
May be a new technique used for wheel balancing.
I do not think it is pasting you can see that the bolt/washer is over the letters also which are raised. So they will not stick perfectly.
But unable to understand the jugad!
Path_Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 11:34   #25
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I didn't realise that one could reinforce tyre sidewalls like that but I could well assume that that was the intention. I have even seen jute bag jutting out from the torn out portion of truck tyres (presumably it has been kept inside as a reinforcement). But such a neat bolt on job is something that I have never seen before. Jotodin baanchi totodin shikhi. I learn for as long as I live.
Sudipto-da, these were used to be done sometime back a lot, a tyre with a sidewall crack or a hole even, had a tyre section from an old tyre placed inside and then bolted. On top of that a tube was "pasted" along the whole rim.

Nowadays using such tyres will invite instant ban or fee from the police - as they say. though some "dhapa trucks" and like still use them but then again mostly as the inner tyre so that it is not seen so prominently. No highway trucks use them now.

Also since OMNIPATCH is there nowadays, the cost comes out to the same amount and also it is much simpler and safer. This one with Omnipatch. The "ghastly scar" can further be closed with a piece of rubber and then hotpressing the whole tyre for another 3 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Tyres with bolts on the sidewall-img_7910.jpg  

adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 13:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

Not possible as it will not hold for long with the kind of rough treatment the tyres are subjected to..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
May be he has pasted the upper portion of bolt & washer with ELFY or something, just the outer side to give a look as if it has gone inside.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 13:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hmm a very aged thread but since I didnot see the solution I am posting this. At times for retreads there is an extra rubber sheet that is put beneath the tread. When they extend it all the way to the sidewalls these bolts are fixed to secure it and give extra support to the sidewalls as due to weak retread the side walls come under more pressure. Source : A long range trucker who had these bolts on his tyre.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 19:03   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Sudipto-da, these were used to be done sometime back a lot, a tyre with a sidewall crack or a hole even, had a tyre section from an old tyre placed inside and then bolted. On top of that a tube was "pasted" along the whole rim.
I remember using the same "technology" for my cycle It used to work without much issues
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote