Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 2nd January 2009, 22:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Today I got news that a friend of mine died in a road accident on the Pune Bangalore highway. He was here for Christmas and was on his way back to his college.

They were travelling in a Sumo. There were 4 boys and a driver. Somewhere on the road, the tyre burst and the car rolled over and hit the median. All 3 boys in the back seat lost their lives.

Add to this the fact that most taxis that come to our shop have really bad tyres. They dont bother changing them as it costs MONEY.

This is pathetic on the part of the taxi companies. They are playing around with people's lives here.

I dont know how bad/good the tyres on the Sumo were. Just that I have seen plenty of taxis running on tyres that shouldnt be allowed on our roads.

Today, this MIGHT have affected me personally. I have no proof of that. But next time you hire a taxi for a long distance drive, make sure the tyres are good.

If the customer starts insisting on this, then the taxi companies have no choice but to take heed of us.
Very sorry to hear about the mishap.
Thanks a lot for creating awareness through this thread Nikhil. We appreciate it. Such things just go unnoticed. It's our duty as educated, responsible, proud Indian citizens to keep a check on all such issues.
Jayabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 16:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the mishap.

This is a good thread. to make it more comprehensive, we should not just check the tyres but we should also check -

1. If the taxi has a valid permit to drive in areas/states the taxi would be going. If you are hiring a taxi make sure it is a Yellow board (Commercial vehicle).
2. Does the driver have a valid Driving license.
3. Does the taxi have seat belts for all seats.
4. When was the taxi last serviced.
5. Spare wheel is present and in good condition.
6. Make sure you travel a few kms along with another car and note the odometer reading. Point the same out if there is a gross error (Mostly taxi will show a higher kms)
7. Make sure the basic toolkit is available in the taxi.
8. Always keep the front seat next to the driver vacant as much as possible. GO for at least a car with 1 additional seating capacity then needed.
9. During the travel insist on Driver to drive defensively.

Today's hire taxis have so much of cut throat competition that the owners cut corners in every aspect. My take is we should not cut corners and go for the cheapest taxi available but go for a VFM option which is also safe.

Last edited by DieselFan : 5th January 2009 at 16:36.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 18:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Dieselfan,
Really good points listed. But given the reasons why we hire taxis (95% of the times its a drop to the Station or Airport), we tend to show no enthu for noting these points.

Also point 6 : What is the feasibility of the same ?
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2009, 21:58   #19
BHPian

Default Tyre Condition !!!

Name:  CarTyres.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  44.6 KB

Can any one judge the condition of the Tyre ?

Please also note that you are not able to see the No plate at all. Which is hiding behind the tyre.
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2009, 22:23   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Its a terrible tragedy, but what is more shocking is that the Sumo lost control.

I think a part of the vehicle homologation in western countries is that the vehicle should be able to maintain control during a high speed tyre burst. (which can happen to a tyre which has thread remaining)
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 09:39   #21
Team-BHP Support

Folks

We got this note from Nikhil

Quote:
Mods, it has come to my notice that the information in this post is not correct. My friend was travelling in an Alto. Most probably private. Not a taxi. I regret the errors.

Can you please edit the post to reflect the correct information? The fact that many taxis run on worn tyres is true. Maybe you can edit my post to reflect that as an observation I make.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
I heard about this accident, a few hours after it happened. Two boys and a girl passed away. The boy was the only son of an eminent dermatologist in Bangalore- I happened to meet them in a party 10 days before. Apparently the Alto was flying, tyre burst, car hit the divider - over turned, the impact forced the doors to open and the kids were flung out and died on impact.

It was tragic. They were going to Lonvala for new year. If you google symbosis accident, more details there

going forward

Ensure you have a car safe for the appropriate speed
Check and take care of your tyres
Wear your seat belts - they would have been badly injured but would have a good chance to survive
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 10:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

So looks like over speeding + under inflated tyres or over speeding beyond capacity of the tyres.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 10:13   #23
Team-BHP Support

+ Not wearing seat belts.

RIP.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 18:38   #24
Team-BHP Support

Just went and checked my office cab tyres. It's a toyota Qualis.

Left:
Front -> Force brand 185/70-14 90% worn
Rear -> Potenza RE-88 195/70-14 50% worn

Right:
Front -> JKtyre 195/70-14 No tread left
Rear -> Goodyear Ducaro 185/70-14 50% worn
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 21:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Just went and checked my office cab tyres. It's a toyota Qualis.

Left:
Front -> Force brand 185/70-14 90% worn
Rear -> Potenza RE-88 195/70-14 50% worn

Right:
Front -> JKtyre 195/70-14 No tread left
Rear -> Goodyear Ducaro 185/70-14 50% worn
Hope some more people have a look on which they are traveling every day to office or may be a happy moment for tour. None the company Admin or the Cab owner going to loose any thing if their cab met some accident.
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 22:04   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Folks

I heard about this accident, a few hours after it happened. Two boys and a girl passed away. The boy was the only son of an eminent dermatologist in Bangalore- I happened to meet them in a party 10 days before. Apparently the Alto was flying, tyre burst, car hit the divider - over turned, the impact forced the doors to open and the kids were flung out and died on impact.

It was tragic. They were going to Lonvala for new year. If you google symbosis accident, more details there

going forward

Dam, I heard about this too. This happened on the Mumbai - Pune expressway on 31st December afternoon, somewhere between the first food court after the Pune toll & Lonavala.
I happened to have a break down on the expressway at around 4:15 and the expressway emergency staff that came to attend to my call told me about it. They were students of Symbioses in Pune.
I believe the driver survived the accident but was in a state of shock at that time. He was rushed to hospital in an ambulance. The police weren't able to record his statement as he was completely disoriented.
Sorry abut your friend Nikhil. WE should all be extra careful, especially while driving on roads like the expressway, where there is a temptation to overspeed.

EDIT: Here's the link to a newspaper report. DNA: Mumbai: Symbiosis law students mourn loss of 3 friends

Last edited by swale84 : 14th January 2009 at 22:06.
swale84 is offline   Reply With Quote