Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 2nd October 2013, 19:42   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Wheel locking nuts

I'm looking to buy the a set of M14x1.5 lock nuts (McGard) for my XUV. I'm thinking these are the same as those used for the Scorpio. My concern is that if the weight of the lock nut is not the same as the remaining OE nuts, then it might cause balancing issues. Like the Scorpio, there are 5 nuts. If there were 6, I could buy a pair and balance out the weight. I would appreciate help in identifying the closest make that I need to select on Amazon so that this aspect is taken care off. Here's a link to the product - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028090JM/...I33IK1BW9TBEHC.

I could weigh an OE nut and then ask the seller to tell me which one is the closest fit. But thought I should check here before I do that.

TIA
triedeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 11:25   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
I'm looking to buy the a set of M14x1.5 lock nuts (McGard) for my XUV. I'm thinking these are the same as those used for the Scorpio. My concern is that if the weight of the lock nut is not the same as the remaining OE nuts, then it might cause balancing issues. Like the Scorpio, there are 5 nuts. If there were 6, I could buy a pair and balance out the weight. I would appreciate help in identifying the closest make that I need to select on Amazon so that this aspect is taken care off. Here's a link to the product - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028090JM/...I33IK1BW9TBEHC.

I could weigh an OE nut and then ask the seller to tell me which one is the closest fit. But thought I should check here before I do that.

TIA

Could you please explain the significance of the hex size that I see associated to the wheel locks. In some cases i see 19mm and sometimes 22 mm. Are these significant? I own a Thar CRDE and am still on the look out for wheel lock nuts.

Thank you.
bigfootraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 21:56   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfootraj View Post
Could you please explain the significance of the hex size that I see associated to the wheel locks. In some cases i see 19mm and sometimes 22 mm. Are these significant? I own a Thar CRDE and am still on the look out for wheel lock nuts.

Thank you.
The only significance I see is that you might need to use two different sizes of spanners if you use the wrong size. I think the Thar also uses the same nuts as the Scorpio and XUV. So if you select a 22 size nut, you could use the spanner that came with the car.

But that's the least of your problems. The first thing is the thread size. The second is whether it's going to be an open end nut or a closed end. Their closed end nut of the same size is significantly longer than the existing nuts. Their open nuts might lead to an exposed end of bolt that could get damage or could rust. So make the right call.
triedeverything is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2014, 12:12   #64

hi,
What size can we order for swift vdi ? is it possible to fit these into stock rims ?
shiv1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 20:16   #65
BHPian

Folks, have posted this already on another thread.

Need some help here. I am based out of Pune and am looking for lock nuts for my S-Cross alloys. Anyone has idea where I can source this from? Can't trust the local accessories shop.
Or would anyone know good brands that I can get from a friend in Germany?
shivasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 20:32   #66
BHPian

Try hot tracks in Bangalore. They are official importers of WePro and might have imported locking nuts as well since they are official importers for OZ Wheels too.

Last edited by WasavaTyres : 11th May 2016 at 20:33. Reason: grammar.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 22:58   #67
BHPian

Thank you. I tried them. They didn't seem interested, gave me a couple of numbers to call and someone told me they will get back as they were busy.
Few others I tried didn't really give me the confidence that these nuts are tough to open.
I ended up ordering McGard from Amazon. Cost me like 4K. Had purchased a Xiomi for my mom at that price during some sale. Damn!
shivasi is offline   Reply With Quote