Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 14th January 2009, 00:38   #1
BHPian

Default Suggestion needed for tubeless tyres and alloys - Petra 1.6

Friends,

I am looking for suggestions on tire upgrade for my Petra 1.6. The stock S322s are probably end of life (35K KMs and > 4 yrs). I have 14" fiat Alloys fitted. I request suggestions

1. tires seem to have hardened (Oct 04 manufacturing date), one of them only a year old. Is it safe to use them for 3 months more?

2. Ideal tire size. I am considering 185/65 and 195/60, believe 195 is border case for 5.5J. Probably I should stick to 175/65 or 185/65. which one do you recommend?

3. Brand and model. I need comfort and moderately good performance. Priority 1 is comfort for family, 2nd handling. also would like the tires to last for 40K KMs/ 4 years.

4. What is good VFM in 3? I know about Michelin, also seen good review about turanza and Yoko. The shop I go to quoted 3700/ piece for 185/65 for Michelins, not sure XM1 or XM1+ since I did not ask details.

5. There are a fw scratches on alloys, is there a way to get them fixed?

Thanks in advance.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 00:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dude, tyres should be safe for use for at least 6 years. Just make sure there is no physical damange. Which brand are yours?

Suggest you don't go for broader tyres, if comfort is a priority.

Yoko and Michelin would meet your requirement. Personally, I'd go for Yoko, as they are cheaper (I have them on my car).
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 00:55   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Dude, tyres should be safe for use for at least 6 years. Just make sure there is no physical damange. Which brand are yours?

Suggest you don't go for broader tyres, if comfort is a priority.

Yoko and Michelin would meet your requirement. Personally, I'd go for Yoko, as they are cheaper (I have them on my car).
I was told by tire folks the compound gets hardened and recommended change is 4 years. Also I can feel tires hardened based on ride with the same pressure as before.

Can you let me know the price and when you made the purchase?
Old 14th January 2009, 01:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Which brand is your tyre? A good brand should definitely be safe for use till at least 6 years. Actually, I have seen tyres being used beyond 6 years too, without any problem, but technically its not recommened for safety... esp. if you do fast highway driving.

Tyre folks will tell you anything that lets them sell you more tyres.

Some hardening of rubber is likely over the years, but it shouldn't be so much as to make a big difference in your driving. If it is, your tyes are prolly not of a good make.

Are you sure this harder ride you feel is only because of your tyres? Its possible its the suspension might be affecting your ride too. Also, what you feel is the same tyre pressure might not be so... because very few gauges are accurate.

Last edited by Raccoon : 14th January 2009 at 01:05.
Old 14th January 2009, 01:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Which brand is your tyre? A good brand should definitely be safe for use till at least 6 years. Actually, I have seen tyres being used beyond 6 years too, without any problem, but technically its not recommened for safety... esp. if you do fast highway driving.

Tyre folks will tell you anything that lets them sell you more tyres.

Some hardening of rubber is likely over the years, but it shouldn't be so much as to make a big difference in your driving. If it is, your tyes are prolly not of a good make.

Are you sure this harder ride you feel is only because of your tyres? Its possible its the suspension might be affecting your ride too. Also, what you feel is the same tyre pressure might not be so... because very few gauges are accurate.
Bridgestone S322 was the stock.

I dont do frequent highway trips, but do at least 500 KMs sometimes. I am sure there is no problems with suspension.

I fill from the same pump everytime unless I am on a long trip. Please share price details for Yoko and XM1s if you know.
Old 14th January 2009, 01:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
Friends,

I am looking for suggestions on tire upgrade for my Petra 1.6. The stock S322s are probably end of life (35K KMs and > 4 yrs). I have 14" fiat Alloys fitted. I request suggestions

1. tires seem to have hardened (Oct 04 manufacturing date), one of them only a year old. Is it safe to use them for 3 months more?

2. Ideal tire size. I am considering 185/65 and 195/60, believe 195 is border case for 5.5J. Probably I should stick to 175/65 or 185/65. which one do you recommend?

3. Brand and model. I need comfort and moderately good performance. Priority 1 is comfort for family, 2nd handling. also would like the tires to last for 40K KMs/ 4 years.

4. What is good VFM in 3? I know about Michelin, also seen good review about turanza and Yoko. The shop I go to quoted 3700/ piece for 185/65 for Michelins, not sure XM1 or XM1+ since I did not ask details.

5. There are a fw scratches on alloys, is there a way to get them fixed?

Thanks in advance.
1. Well they usually have a shelf life of about 6-7 years but if you feel they've hardened (due to our extreme weather conditions) replacing them won't be a bad choice. And you could use the year old one as a spare without any issues.

2. 195/60 will do just fine on 5.5J. I ran a set on my car with the same sizes too.

3. Try amongst the following:

Michelin XM1+
Yokohama A.Drive
Bridgestone Turanza
Apollo Accelere

4. Depends on what prices you get for the above in your town.

5. Depends on what finish they are. Care to post some pics or details of the finish on them.

Hope this helps.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 01:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well, the same pump can show different readings over the span of many years, for several reasons!

My price info wont help you because I bought them for my Esteem (R13) while your alloys are of R14 size. Also its been few months, and prices change. Please check out different places in your city as you will very likely get varying deals at different shops.

Iraghava its not correct to say shelf life is 6-7 years. Shelf life is about 6 months and Service Life is about 6 - 7 years, from the date of manufacture.
Old 14th January 2009, 01:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
1. Well they usually have a shelf life of about 6-7 years but if you feel they've hardened (due to our extreme weather conditions) replacing them won't be a bad choice. And you could use the year old one as a spare without any issues.

2. 195/60 will do just fine on 5.5J. I ran a set on my car with the same sizes too.

3. Try amongst the following:

Michelin XM1+
Yokohama A.Drive
Bridgestone Turanza
Apollo Accelere

4. Depends on what prices you get for the above in your town.

5. Depends on what finish they are. Care to post some pics or details of the finish on them.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Ishan, I was looking forward to your opinion.

1. Is it ok to use tubed spare even for a short time with others being tubeless ?
2. Out of 195/60 and 185/65 which one is better from comfort perspective, this being my first priority.
3. I believe not all brands have both the tire sizes, may be the size I pick would eliminate some. Would 195 foul with insides of wheel arches/ wells for Petra ?
4. Could you give me a reasonable range of prices, so I could avoid being ripped off.

5. Please see photos in my garage at 2004 Petra 1.6 EL PS - sreenivass's Photo Gallery - Team-BHP
Old 14th January 2009, 01:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

195/60 - sidewall would be 117
185/65 - sidewall would be 120

185/65 besides having less tread area scores slightly in the sidewall dept. too! So 185/65 anyday, if you are looking for comfort!

Hope you know about the effect changing tyre size will have on your odo/speedo.

Its ok to use tubed spare for a short distance.
Old 14th January 2009, 02:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Iraghava its not correct to say shelf life is 6-7 years. Shelf life is about 6 months and Service Life is about 6 - 7 years, from the date of manufacture.
Well I think a shelf life of 1-2 years is perfectly acceptable especially if the tyres have been stored in proper conditions. And my earlier comment was about the service life not the storage life. I made a typo in the earlier post regarding that.

And anyway, try finding a tyre manufactured no more than 6 months back and you'll know that most tyres on our market are not that recent primarily because most of the good tyres are generally imported & not manufactured here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
Thanks Ishan, I was looking forward to your opinion.

1. Is it ok to use tubed spare even for a short time with others being tubeless ?
2. Out of 195/60 and 185/65 which one is better from comfort perspective, this being my first priority.
3. I believe not all brands have both the tire sizes, may be the size I pick would eliminate some. Would 195 foul with insides of wheel arches/ wells for Petra ?
4. Could you give me a reasonable range of prices, so I could avoid being ripped off.

5. Please see photos in my garage at 2004 Petra 1.6 EL PS - sreenivass's Photo Gallery - Team-BHP
1. Yes, it is. Just make sure you get the tubeless tyre repaired at the earlies & put the tubed back as the spare.

2. I would prefer 185/65. Part of the reason has been highlighted by Raccoon above.

3. I believe all 4 brands above have tyre options in both 185/65 & 195/60. Tread designs might differ though.

4. 185/65 - 3.2-3.6k per tyre depending on company, 195/60 - 3.6-4.2k.

5. Yes, they can be refinished by sanding off & repainting by a good paint shop.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 13:00   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Well I think a shelf life of 1-2 years is perfectly acceptable especially if the tyres have been stored in proper conditions. And my earlier comment was about the service life not the storage life. I made a typo in the earlier post regarding that.

And anyway, try finding a tyre manufactured no more than 6 months back and you'll know that most tyres on our market are not that recent primarily because most of the good tyres are generally imported & not manufactured here.

1. Yes, it is. Just make sure you get the tubeless tyre repaired at the earlies & put the tubed back as the spare.

2. I would prefer 185/65. Part of the reason has been highlighted by Raccoon above.

3. I believe all 4 brands above have tyre options in both 185/65 & 195/60. Tread designs might differ though.

4. 185/65 - 3.2-3.6k per tyre depending on company, 195/60 - 3.6-4.2k.

5. Yes, they can be refinished by sanding off & repainting by a good paint shop.
Thanks Ishan and Raccoon, I'd try waiting for one or two more months and possibly go for XM1+ or Turanaza. Reason being shoulder wear started showing up in two tires moved to rear wheels and front ones have a good amount of tread.

The stock sidewall is about 114 mm, I am hoping to get a little more ground clearence compared to them using 185/65, will have to see if 6mm extra clearance helps on speed bumps. The shop folks also recommend 185/65 XM1+. The price quoted is 3700 a piece, seems like there is room to bargain.

Last edited by sreenivass : 14th January 2009 at 13:02.
Old 14th January 2009, 14:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

You need to check wheel alignment asap, if you are seeing uneven wear.
Old 14th January 2009, 20:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
You need to check wheel alignment asap, if you are seeing uneven wear.
Got it done recently, there does not seem to be any major problem there. I was anticipating this because fiat recommends much lower pressure (28) than tire manufacturers (32). I will be glad to be corrected if this is wrong.
Old 14th January 2009, 23:44   #14
BHPian

Ah our 'tire-dealer' has already advised you!! but if you ask mine i would advise the michelin xm1.have them on my palio and they are excellent tires.good balance between road noice,grip and all parameters
carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 11:38   #15
BHPian

Thanks for suggestions folks. I will spend sometime on prices and details, looks like Turanza offers more VFM than XM1 or XM1+.

I would leave out Apollo Accelere. I am not very sure about Yokos.