Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2013, 18:08   #106
BHPian
 
rohittunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 229
Thanked: 407 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

After 81450 kms, my Linea was ready for its 3rd set of tyres. The first 2 sets were stock Apollo Acelere (195/60R15). The first set of tyres lasted almost 50000 km while the second set of Apollos lasted for just 31000 km.

This time I wanted to try something different and my mind was fixed on Yokohama A Drives. Also I wanted to up size and the realistic option was 195/65R15 which many forum members have on their cars. But I was dissuaded by Nikhil (from Madhus). One option which many people recommended there was to go for 205/60R15. I was a bit skeptical at first, but when the tyres were installed, the car looked rather good with that ugly gap between the wheel arches and tyres in the rear reduced.

So here it goes,

Tyre: Yokohama A Drives
Size: 205/60R15
Cost: Rs 5800 per tyre
Location: Madhus enterprises

So here are the pictures of the car after installation

Yokos A Drives 205/60R15
Fiat Linea : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_3022.jpg

The older Apollos 195/60R15. Notice the ugly gap between the tyres and rear wheel arch
Fiat Linea : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-picture-009.jpg

Fiat Linea : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_3026.jpg

Have driven about 450kms after installation and so far so good. The ground clearance has increased just a tiny bit while not making the car look like its on stilts la new Linea MJD. The road noise seems to be lesser than Apollos, however my final verdict on these tyres has to wait till I do a proper road trip will a full complement of passengers and luggage.
rohittunga is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013, 16:58   #107
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 648
Thanked: 477 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga View Post
After 81450 kms, my Linea was ready for its 3rd set of tyres. The first 2 sets were stock Apollo Acelere (195/60R15). The first set of tyres lasted almost 50000 km while the second set of Apollos lasted for just 31000 km.

This time I wanted to try something different and my mind was fixed on Yokohama A Drives. Also I wanted to up size and the realistic option was 195/65R15 which many forum members have on their cars. But I was dissuaded by Nikhil (from Madhus). One option which many people recommended there was to go for 205/60R15. I was a bit skeptical at first, but when the tyres were installed, the car looked rather good with that ugly gap between the wheel arches and tyres in the rear reduced.

So here it goes,

Tyre: Yokohama A Drives
Size: 205/60R15
Cost: Rs 5800 per tyre
Location: Madhus enterprises

So here are the pictures of the car after installation

Yokos A Drives 205/60R15

The older Apollos 195/60R15. Notice the ugly gap between the tyres and rear wheel arch

Have driven about 450kms after installation and so far so good. The ground clearance has increased just a tiny bit while not making the car look like its on stilts la new Linea MJD. The road noise seems to be lesser than Apollos, however my final verdict on these tyres has to wait till I do a proper road trip will a full complement of passengers and luggage.
Yokos are fantastic :-)
I made the switch to 205 / 60 R15 AVS db 2 months back and in the last 12000 km the tyres have been great :-)
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013, 17:23   #108
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Gandhidham
Posts: 68
Thanked: 53 Times
Default

Getting delivery of my Linea dynamic on Monday. The first thing I want to do is exchange the acleres 195/60_15 with potenza g3 195/65_15.

Any better performance tyres I should look for?
mrohit17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 07:45   #109
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 648
Thanked: 477 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
Getting delivery of my Linea dynamic on Monday. The first thing I want to do is exchange the acleres 195/60_15 with potenza g3 195/65_15.

Any better performance tyres I should look for?
Upsize to 205/60 R15, you will thank me for this ;-)
Since Linea has a nice firm suspension I went in for Yoko AVS dBs. Awesome tyres, excellent dry and wet grip with low road noise. To cut road noise further get the 3M 5 year underbody rust proofing done. Wind noise above 80kmph is pronounced from wing mirrors but nothing can be done about that.
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 11:44   #110
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,248 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

Hi, Rohit, I wanted to know whether your Linea is a diesel or petrol model and any obvious reason as to why the second set gave 40% less life compared to the first set. I have a TJet myself (with only 7K on the odometer) and therefore the question above.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga View Post
After 81450 kms, my Linea was ready for its 3rd set of tyres. The first 2 sets were stock Apollo Acelere (195/60R15). The first set of tyres lasted almost 50000 km while the second set of Apollos lasted for just 31000 km.
EDIT : do you have an ownership experience thread on the forum, if yes then do provide the link for the same.

Last edited by khoj : 24th August 2013 at 11:46.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 22:12   #111
BHPian
 
rohittunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 229
Thanked: 407 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hi, Rohit, I wanted to know whether your Linea is a diesel or petrol model and any obvious reason as to why the second set gave 40% less life compared to the first set. I have a TJet myself (with only 7K on the odometer) and therefore the question above.
EDIT : do you have an ownership experience thread on the forum, if yes then do provide the link for the same.
Hey Khoj,

My car is a diesel and the reason why my second set of tires lasted just 30,000 km was because I took the car to Leh from Bangalore. This 8,500 odd kms trip literally chewed half the tread on my tires . In fact the tires were almost completely bald by the 30,000km mark. I must admit that these Aceleres never disappointed me on both occasions. You can read more about my adventures to Leh exactly a year ago on this thread

http://http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/125894-how-hard-can-bangalore-ladakh-linea.html (How hard can it be? Bangalore to Ladakh in a Linea)

I do have an ownership thread but its been a very long time since I've updated it. May be now is the time that I should revive my ownership thread as I have covered over 50,000 kms since my last update. Here is the link for.

http://http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/105343-my-fiat-linea-mjd-edit-365-days-completed-36000-kms-driven.html (My Fiat Linea MJD EDIT: 365 days completed, 36000 kms driven)

So don't worry about the unusually high tyre wear, as I believe, with proper maintenance they should easily last anywhere between 40,000 to 50,000 km.
Just enjoy your T-Jet

Last edited by rohittunga : 24th August 2013 at 22:13.
rohittunga is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 16:30   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
djay99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 1,454
Thanked: 482 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

I will be getting my Tjet Emotion delivered some time in this month. I would like to change tyres to Michelin PLC. Any recommendation on tyre shops inluding indicative prices of PLC and buyback of stock Good year 205/55R16?
djay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 23:46   #113
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,248 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

You can try Madhu's it is owned by a fellow Tbhpian.

You may also want to use the report button in the Linea test drive thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3224521 (Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review)
to have your duplicate post removed, otherwise it might lead to an infraction.



Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
I will be getting my Tjet Emotion delivered some time in this month. I would like to change tyres to Michelin PLC. Any recommendation on tyre shops inluding indicative prices of PLC and buyback of stock Good year 205/55R16?
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 00:22   #114
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,758
Thanked: 1,520 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

I am thinking of upsizing to 195/65/R15 on my 2010 linea with 161mm GC.
Will it scrape the fenders under load,any one running this size?
Dont want to go for 205/60 as a 205 will be an overkill for the engine.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 00:28   #115
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,367
Thanked: 3,799 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I am thinking of upsizing to 195/65/R15 on my 2010 linea with 161mm GC.
Will it scrape the fenders under load,any one running this size?
Dont want to go for 205/60 as a 205 will be an overkill for the engine.
The 195/65 R15 is very much in line with the 205/55 R16 size circumference. Should not pose a problem as it is about the 0.4% higher in circumference than the 16 inchers. Linea should take it easy without any issue.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 10:38   #116
h14
BHPian
 
h14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: CBE/BLR
Posts: 797
Thanked: 1,277 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I am thinking of upsizing to 195/65/R15 on my 2010 linea with 161mm GC.
Will it scrape the fenders under load,any one running this size?
Dont want to go for 205/60 as a 205 will be an overkill for the engine.
I'm using 195/65R15 PLC on my 2011 Linea MJD without the GC kit. Car has done 31k so far and the tires have been good! Go for it without any worries

More in my ownership log: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...rship-log.html
h14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 11:53   #117
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 96
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
I will be getting my Tjet Emotion delivered some time in this month. I would like to change tyres to Michelin PLC. Any recommendation on tyre shops inluding indicative prices of PLC and buyback of stock Good year 205/55R16?
Hey djay -
so what did you eventually go for?


Also wonder how the Michelin Primacy 3 ST's on the Linea will be or any of the Yoko tyres? I am getting my Emotion Tjet delivered and looking for options.
andyonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 13:21   #118
Senior - BHPian
 
djay99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 1,454
Thanked: 482 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyonwheels View Post
Hey djay -
so what did you eventually go for?

Also wonder how the Michelin Primacy 3 ST's on the Linea will be or any of the Yoko tyres? I am getting my Emotion Tjet delivered and looking for options.
I am going for a PDI tomorrow. Will check if my car has got Acelere's. If yes then i will not change them as i am quite satisfied with them. Been using them on my Getz Crdi for over 2 years.

Micheling Primacy 3ST are replacing PLC and IMO they will be better than PLC. They cost around 9.5K to 10K.
When are you getting your Tjet delivered? Which colour?
djay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 13:30   #119
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 96
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Micheling Primacy 3ST are replacing PLC and IMO they will be better than PLC. They cost around 9.5K to 10K.
When are you getting your Tjet delivered? Which colour?
True. That's what I gathered of the 3 ST's.

Well, I am going in for my Pre-Registration check tomorrow as well. I opted for the Wine color.
andyonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 13:03   #120
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 96
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Since Linea has a nice firm suspension I went in for Yoko AVS dBs. Awesome tyres, excellent dry and wet grip with low road noise. To cut road noise further get the 3M 5 year underbody rust proofing done. Wind noise above 80kmph is pronounced from wing mirrors but nothing can be done about that.
Hey Autorcrat - just curious how does underbody rust proofing help with cutting on the road noise? And how are the Yoko's performing?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Hey Amit, yes the tyres are serving me very well thank you. I have driven around 4300kms and have had no punchers, bulged etc. I have driven on pot-holes and horrible designed drain covers at reasonable speeds and that has caused no issues too. I monitor the tyre pressure and ensure top-up on every refill (bought a ciodo tyre guage too) since over-inflated tyres are better than under

I have not lost grip on the multiple city and highway runs. The ABS kicked in once on a very hard braking situation on the WE Highway (Mumbai) neat Malad. That includes taking highway and city curves at night at various speeds. So the grip is good too.

Noise is low. I drive with my windows up most of the time and have found the tyres loud only on the stupid Broken-Tiled roads in my city.

They look almost new with no weird wearing. So, I have no reason to complain.
Hey Zenster,
Will be great to hear how the tyres are faring on your Linea since your last update here. After lot of looking around, guess the Yokos AVS db 550v are the ones to go with.
andyonwheels is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread Screwdriva Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 319 22nd May 2017 09:45
Toyota Etios & Liva : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread nkrishnap Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 60 8th May 2017 09:17
Fiat Palio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread shahmotors Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 637 26th March 2017 12:56
Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread furioussphinx Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 632 8th January 2017 20:23
Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread jkdas Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 10 29th August 2016 17:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks