Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2013, 13:21   #121
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 639
Thanked: 472 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyonwheels View Post
Hey Autorcrat - just curious how does underbody rust proofing help with cutting on the road noise? And how are the Yoko's performing?
Underbody coating is about 5 mm thick so helps damp sound a lot.

In 4 - 5 months my yokos have done 20000 kms. One (rear left) tyre got about 9 punctures in one shot - all with same kind of short n sharp nails. :-(. Its my spare tyre now.

None of the other tyres suffered any puncture in spite of carefree driving and hitting potholes at 3 digit speeds there are no bulges. I am extremely happy with my Yokos. Avs db is not as delicate as PLCs and can take some abuse. They still remain quiet and ride nicely. Grip is still good after 20000 kms.
autocrat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 13:36   #122
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 96
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

[quote=autocrat;3265211]
Quote:
Underbody coating is about 5 mm thick so helps damp sound a lot.
Thanks. Will consider this when I go in for a body paint coating to a 3M store.


Quote:
None of the other tyres suffered any puncture in spite of carefree driving and hitting potholes at 3 digit speeds there are no bulges. I am extremely happy with my Yokos. Avs db is not as delicate as PLCs and can take some abuse. They still remain quiet and ride nicely. Grip is still good after 20000 kms.
This is re-assuring to hear in making a choice on the 550v's. Thanks!

Last edited by andyonwheels : 14th October 2013 at 13:37. Reason: quote fix
andyonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 22:16   #123
BHPian
 
Zenster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 333
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyonwheels View Post
Hey Autorcrat - just curious how does underbody rust proofing help with cutting on the road noise? And how are the Yoko's performing?

Hey Zenster,
Will be great to hear how the tyres are faring on your Linea since your last update here. After lot of looking around, guess the Yokos AVS db 550v are the ones to go with.
The underbody anti-rust coat is a layer of thick paint like substance and because of this layer the sound filtering into the cabin reduces (drastically, in some cases). http://solutions.3mindia.co.in/wps/p...nti+Corrosion/

The tyres are still doing great. Only complaints what so ever, so far. I have even recomended them to 3 of my friends for their Puntos (in 15") and they thank me everyday. We've collectively thrown good raods and bad road at them, high speeds runs (160+) and twisties alike, and they have not felt nervous in most situations.
Zenster is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 22:25   #124
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 96
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
The tyres are still doing great. Only complaints what so ever, so far. I have even recomended them to 3 of my friends for their Puntos (in 15") and they thank me everyday. We've collectively thrown good raods and bad road at them, high speeds runs (160+) and twisties alike, and they have not felt nervous in most situations.
Well then - Yoko's it is - planning to have them plugged onto the Jet morrow! Thanks for the feed, Zenster. Also, will consider the underbody coating.
Cheers!
andyonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 22:43   #125
BHPian
 
Ricci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 720
Thanked: 872 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

Folks, any recommendations for 16 inchers 205-55/16 ?
I'm looking for good dry and wet grip, good braking , durability to withstand poor Indian roads , comfort and noise , in that order.

As per changemytyre portal, Michelins and Yokohamas are fairly steeply priced - 8.5k upwards. GY Eagle F1 GSD3 has got great reviews, but I fear it will be hard to find and old stock perhaps. Other tyres seem to get mixed reviews.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 22:53   #126
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,698
Thanked: 1,229 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

The AVS dB are very good tires however they are not meant to be used as spares.

These are Unidirectional tires, means a tire depending on the way it is mounted on the wheel can be used only on one side of the car either left or right but not both. At least not without taking the tire off the wheel flipping it around and remounting the same. Not exactly a situation one would like to get caught in with a puncture on a busy city road or worst yet on a highway only to find out that either the tire needs to be remounted or used and destroyed by making it rotate in the direction it was not meant to.

Buy 4 AVS and retain the OE spare

I have these on my Cedia since 3 years, 30K+ Kms, driven on all sorts of surfaces but now ready to switch to ST3 as soon as the odo hits the 35K mark. The spare though will be the most economical tire that is out there, maybe I will go with a Hankok or a Federal or maybe one of the OEs that come off one of your cars


Quote:
Originally Posted by andyonwheels View Post
Well then - Yoko's it is - planning to have them plugged onto the Jet morrow!
@andyonwheels, I have not been caught in such a situation but then would not want to be caught unprepared if it ever came to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Its my spare tyre now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
The tyres are still doing great.


Bridgestone Turanza GR90 if you can find them, My Jet+Has these.
Yokohama Same as above while necessarily retaining the OE as spare
Michelin ST3
Continental CPC2
Goodyear Assurance
All are good tires.

If you are able to get the 16" tires at 8500/- grab them. There is no way you can get them below 9500/- for any decent brand. If you manage it do share the details here so others can benefit too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Folks, any recommendations for 16 inchers 205-55/16 ?

Last edited by khoj : 14th October 2013 at 23:10. Reason: Responding to additional posts
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 23:00   #127
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 96
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Not exactly a situation one would like to get caught in with a puncture on a busy city road or worst yet on a highway only to find out that either the tire needs to be remounted or used and destroyed by making it rotate in the direction it was not meant to.

Buy 4 AVS and retain the OE spare

I have these on my Cedia since 3 years, 30K+ Kms, driven on all sorts of surfaces but now ready to switch to ST3 as soon as the odo hits the 35K mark.
Considering you used them for a good time, did you find yourself in a situation like you mention? Guessing that's why retaining the spares as you suggest makes total sense.
Btw - is 35k the life of the tyres? Or your changing them ahead of time?

I was initially going in for the P 3ST's but as they are fairly new in the market and having just migrated to a bigger buy (owned an Alto earlier), am bit apprehensive on picking on something that has not been tried and tested.
Thanks for sharing your views, Khoj.

Last edited by andyonwheels : 14th October 2013 at 23:02. Reason: added a query
andyonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 06:42   #128
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 639
Thanked: 472 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
If you are able to get the 16" tires at 8500/- grab them. There is no way you can get them below 9500/- for any decent brand. If you manage it do share the details here so others can benefit too
@nkrishnap got Hankook Ventus 16 inchers for something like 6500 each if I remember. PM him for exact details. He did Bangalore-Kargil-Bangalore on those driving up and down through Zojila pass and the tyres performed very well.

Other 16" are horribly expensive. I don't buy the logic that their price is more as they are imported as I paid ~6000 a piece for my 15" AVS db which is made in Japan.
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 11:46   #129
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,698
Thanked: 1,229 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

For The ones that are legally imported there is a huge price difference between a 15" and a 16" tire. Seems as if there is a jump in the import duty slab for tires of 16" and above besides the obvious price differential on account of increased size. The ones being sold in the grey market are without the burden of import duty and margins of the local arms of tire companies etc etc

It is another matter that the Ventus is a SUV tire more suited to colder climates and it's primarily load bearing construction is very different from that of a passenger car tire that has to meet expectations related to noise, ride comfort apart from grip and loads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Other 16" are horribly expensive. I don't buy the logic that their price is more as they are imported as I paid ~6000 a piece for my 15" AVS db which is made in Japan.

Last edited by khoj : 15th October 2013 at 11:51.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 00:50   #130
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,305
Thanked: 3,632 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
For The ones that are legally imported there is a huge price difference between a 15" and a 16" tire. Seems as if there is a jump in the import duty slab for tires of 16" and above besides the obvious price differential on account of increased size. The ones being sold in the grey market are without the burden of import duty and margins of the local arms of tire companies etc etc

It is another matter that the Ventus is a SUV tire more suited to colder climates and it's primarily load bearing construction is very different from that of a passenger car tire that has to meet expectations related to noise, ride comfort apart from grip and loads.
I am not too sure as to what is causing the price difference between various brands. The prices of 16 inchers starts off from around 5.7K to 10K all the way for various brands and type of tyres.

As a matter of fact the Ventus V12 K110 series is not a SUV tyre, its a summer performance tyre majorly for sedan. Here is the link to my ownership thread for more details on the Hankook Ventus.

Link
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 11:11   #131
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 96
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

Just updating -
swapped stock Goodyear NCT 5's to Yokos Avs db 550 and pretty happy so far. Noticeable changes are - super silent and smooth ride.
Thanks to all those for sharing their reviews on these tyres. Completely helped in making the decision.
True test comes in December when the Jet travels from Blr to Rajasthan and back.
andyonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 15:02   #132
BHPian
 
TheTeacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Space-Time
Posts: 474
Thanked: 312 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

[quote=andyonwheels;3265222]
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Thanks. Will consider this when I go in for a body paint coating to a 3M store.
Make sure you go the the 3M store in HSR Layout. None of the others in Bangalore is as good. Siddhu is a great chap. Look them up in the Bangalore directory in the forums.
TheTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 15:23   #133
BHPian
 
iceman7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 695
Thanked: 248 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea - from 195/60 to 195/65

I just switched from the stock Apollo Acelere on my 2011 Linea MJD. I replaced the Apollo's with the Yokohama A-Drives - 195/65/15.

Initially, I was very apprehensive in doing so (speedo errors, scraping, etc) but reading this thread and driving around has put some fears to rest. The speedo error will remain, but I guess it is a minimal error, so no big loss.

My initial observations after the switch -

- Steering has become a lot lighter. Fellow Linea owners will know that the steering can be heavy at times and a pain to use in the city. But, the new tyres have made the steering a notch lighter and easier to use. Though, the tremendous steering feedback still remains.

- Minimal increase in GC. As soon as I sat onto the drivers seat, I could feel the change in GC. The car felt a tad bit higher. And true to the feeling, it was. I took my normal route home and encountered the usual speed breakers. Didn't scrape on one of them. On the older tyres, it scraped each and everyone.

However, this is based only on a few hundred KMS of driving. I will only be able to tell after I make a long (1000 kms) trip on this set. Till then, All is Well!!
iceman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 20:56   #134
BHPian
 
forester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 71
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

After going through quite a lot of posts through various threads, I am still confused & need help! So, here it goes-
The stock Goodyear GT3s (195/60/15) on my Linea are due for replacement with the odo standing at 62k currently. The last 5k Kms has been a stretch for sure, but was postponing the change due to the car not being used too much.
The GYs had fantastic wet & dry grip, moderate comfort levels and good durability in terms of rough usage but were extremely prone to punctures & were horridly noisy.

The following would be my expectations from the next set, in the same order-
-Comfort
-Wet grip
-Good durability(Though I take care of potholes, it shouldn't give away due to extremely delicate sidewalls on the slightest blow if I miss one on unknown highways. Also, don't want the headache of dealing with a puncture every now and then as with the GYs.)
-Low noise than the GYs atleast & should not completely lose high speed cornering abilities for having fun once in a while.
-Better F.E--That's asking too much!
My daily driving is 90% on good roads, most of which is made up by the Noida-Greater Noida E-way.

I have set my budget at 5500Rs/tyre. After going through various posts, I have found:
-Michelin P3ST--Ruled out due to budget constraints
-Michelin XM2s-Not available in 195/60 I guess.
-Micheling PLCs-Discontinued, but will have to check for availability with dealers.

-Bridgestone Potenza/Turanza --Saw the tread pattern of Potenza MY02, but that lightning tread is not to my liking. Someone told me Potenza RE88 are great, is it so? Or any other tire worth the money. Please suggest which specific series & model in BS would suffice the needs. If there is a good tyre worth opting for from BS within this price range or a bit higher as well, then I would finalize these as I can manage a discount coupon through a friend in BS. Otherwise, I am okay to let that saving go for a better product if the quality difference will be significant.

-Yoko C drives-Well within budget. Would these be the best in this situation?
-Yoko AVS db-Good reviews, unknown price, possibly a tad higher than my budget.

-MRF-If any of their series would fulfill most of the above needs & be VFM at the same time, I have no issues giving them a shot.

Please help me decide!
forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 16:13   #135
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,627
Thanked: 2,923 Times
Default Re: Tire upsizing on linea

In 195/60-15, XM2 is now available. That should suit your requirements well.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Etios & Liva : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread nkrishnap Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 55 22nd March 2017 12:27
4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread Screwdriva Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 306 20th March 2017 12:34
Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread furioussphinx Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 632 8th January 2017 20:23
Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread jkdas Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 10 29th August 2016 17:08
Fiat Palio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread shahmotors Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 635 9th February 2016 06:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks