Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 17th January 2009, 11:42   #1
BHPian

Question Please Help- Considering the possibility of a Tyre Dealership

Hello All,

I need help and advice from You Guys. I have been a Tour Operator/ Travel Agent for the last 12 years but absolutely hated my line of work.

Since the two things i am absolutely crazy about are Sports and All things automotive and there isn't much of a business opportunity here in Sports, I decided to close down my Travel Office operation and venture into a line of business which I am really interested in before i got too old and lost the guts to strike out- Automobiles.

I'll paste a similar thread about business opportunities in Car/ Bike Dealerships and Mechanical Carwash in "Ask the Gurus" section but here I'm just focusing on Tyres.

My town- Gangtok, Sikkim population about 8-9 Lakhs has a lot of new cars hitting the market every month ( A lot of money in the state as compared to other N.E. neighbors) but we don't have a proper Company Authorized Tyre Dealership. There is an independent Electronic Wheel Balancing and Alignment shop which seems to do quite well and a couple of small independent shops selling Tyres- but nothing what You would call a proper company owned Tyre Dealership with proper stock and facilities. Most of the Car accessories shops and the Car dealerships here also sell tyres but i believe they charge a lot there and nobody seems to have a good dedicated stock.

I sense a good business opportunity here as most of the owners of passenger cars (Me included) head off to Siliguri about 125 kms away to buy a set of new tyres.

What i would like to know from the Resident experts are-

- First of All, the feasibility of the project as a whole. Now All i know about tyres are from this wonderful site and this section in particular. But surprisingly, i seem to know more about upsizing and PCD etc. than the owners of many of the Big Tyre shops in Siliguri, so that gives me a little confidence...

-How much would it cost to open a reasonably good sized Tyre Dealership with good stock of Tyres and Aloys, Electronic Wheel Balancing and Alignment Machines, etc. What else? A Cafetaria and a Carwash? Mechanical?

- Where would i get the staff to work on these machines? Apart from a Good manager, How many do I need to employ? What would be their salary and my monthly operational budget regarding electricity, Machine maintainence, other costs apart from the cost of stock? If I wanted to operate these machines myself, how would i go about learning to do so?

- Which Tyre Brand should i tie- up with initially before going on to become a Multi-branded store? As far as Alloys go, apart from Aura and Neo, should i focus on stocking the other non- Indian brands? What about exchange policy and upsizing with stock Tyres and steel rims? Where would i dispose of these?

- Who in say, Kolkata should i talk to? Would Minkoo Aggarwal help if i asked him? I met at his shop a couple of years ago and he seemed a rather nice guy. Unfortunately i don't have his card or his cell number. Which company should i talk to? Do i have to be a sub- dealer for a major Tyre dealer in Kolkata or can i deal with the company independently?

- If required, i could come and meet anyone of You guys if You feel that i need to come personally and have a look at operations being run at Kolkata/ Delhi/ other cities.

- How much land (Space) would be required in sq. ft for the above if i decide to go two-three storey high? Would it have to be on the National Highway? (Better visibility). Buying Land Bang next to the National Highway is a really expensive proposition.

- What else do I have to consider getting into this line of business?

I know this is asking a lot, but please help me in whatever way You can in giving info. and advice.

Thank You ever so much,

Wongchuk.
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 13:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the decision.
One of our members 'nikhilb2008' has been involved in the tyre business for long and also is one of the distributors for the wheel/tyre machines of brands like Hunter.
He's based out of Bangalore. I would highly recommend you talk to him, get an appointment and visit them in person.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 13:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

hi puffthemagicdragon, great to see you venturing out as a tyre dealer. All the best!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote