Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 3rd July 2014, 16:34   #16
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: Retreading of Car,SUV tyres

I think all these advices against re-treading can be understood in terms of consumer behaviour.

For most of the middle class people car is largest investment after house and there is a lot of emotional value attached.
As you can see on T-BHP people use terms such as "babying" or "gifting shoes " when they talks about as inanimate and unemotional thing as maintenance or a tyre change.

So there can not be any rational decision or discussion on something which is outright cheap and associated with crude looking commercial vehicles.

It is another matter that technology involved and parameters of operations for commercial vehicles are far more demanding then individual passenger vehicles.

Companies do understand this consumer behaviour and make profit.

No tyre company will tell a car buyer how many times radial can be retreaded and reused safely when they can sell a new tyre easily.
However for commercial operators like airlines or truck fleet operator this is an important parameter for purchase.

Another such example is engine oil , If you look at it engine oil with higher grade marketed to commercial segment from same company is priced lower then lower grade engine oil segmented for individual use.
Compare Shell Rimula R4 ( CI4+) vs Shell Helix HX5 ( CG ) for instance.
It's not just shell look at pricing of castrol / Mobil as well.

Originally Posted by jeepster_chd View Post

It is the website of Tire Retread & Repair Information Bureau.

The website very clearly states (about the safety of retreaded tyres)

I think this discussion should be revived.
Well if you see in road transport also most used / abused vehicles on Indian roads are Trucks and buses and they run far more KM then individual owned cars and the whole industry runs on re-treading.

Last edited by amitk26 : 3rd July 2014 at 16:39.
amitk26 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 16:57   #17
Distinguished - BHPian
Default Re: Retreading of Car,SUV tyres

I remember my dad getting advice for re-treading the tires instead of getting new set for our 1100D. There were 2 techniques used - Hot & Cold resoles. However, that time, a lot of cars that used to run on 'resoled' tires showed signs of the new treads coming out from rest of the tire. One acquaintance of ours was left stranded on a ghat section because one of the resoled tires gave up completely. Needless to say, we went for a set of new tires for our Fiat.

Today, I don't know if technology or workmanship has changed for better, but still when my car's tire will be worn, I will change them, like always. I don't remember if resoling or retreading ever came into my mind as an option.
I am never putting my life on compromised rubbers, as important as tires!
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote