Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 4th February 2009, 12:06   #1
BHPian

Exclamation Warranty on new tyres

hi all , i changed my tyres y'day from bridgestone performance club store , i have taken Bridgestone B250 . on enquiry found out that the tyres are covered for 3 years unlimited mileage .When i insisted on warranty card , dealer said no warranty card is available and is the bill is sufficient . I am wondering whether this would be true? . Requesting forum members to provide some info and pls inform on the scope of warranty .

P.S: Mods unable to find any thread on the topic , if available pls merge / move to the same .
rm_arjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 18:26   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Warranty cards are very rare. I'm a tyre dealer and I can tell you this for a fact. We are not provided warranty cards from the company to fill in and give the customer.

How it works is like this: You buy tyre from shop A. Shop A gives you a proper bill. Shop A is also an authorised dealer for X brand of tyre. You buy X brand of tyre.

Something happens to your tyre(say it develops a bulge due to a manufacturing defect). You go back to shop A, wave your bill and they will take the tyre back. They will send it to the company directly(as they are an authorised dealer, it is easy for them).

Company then decides to give you a new tyre and you go back to shop A and collect it. No warranty cards come into the picture.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 18:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Warranty cards are very rare. I'm a tyre dealer and I can tell you this for a fact. We are not provided warranty cards from the company to fill in and give the customer.

How it works is like this: You buy tyre from shop A. Shop A gives you a proper bill. Shop A is also an authorised dealer for X brand of tyre. You buy X brand of tyre.

Something happens to your tyre(say it develops a bulge due to a manufacturing defect). You go back to shop A, wave your bill and they will take the tyre back. They will send it to the company directly(as they are an authorised dealer, it is easy for them).

Company then decides to give you a new tyre and you go back to shop A and collect it. No warranty cards come into the picture.
And in the whole scene, what if I decide to go to shop B ? In another City say ?

Unlike Nokia or iPods, dont think these tyres can be tracked using a serial number.

When I asked the tyre dealer about the warranty, he said in general dealers can come up with 10001 reasons why not to replace the tyres. Am talking in general here.
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 18:31   #4
Team-BHP Support

Nikhil can you please clarify the following.

Do the dealers provide any replacement tires when the tire is sent to the company?
Are they under any obligation to do so or is it simply a matter of good will.
How do they identify the tire as the same one that they sold. I have not noticed any serial number as such on a tire.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 18:45   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
And in the whole scene, what if I decide to go to shop B ? In another City say ?

Unlike Nokia or iPods, dont think these tyres can be tracked using a serial number.

When I asked the tyre dealer about the warranty, he said in general dealers can come up with 10001 reasons why not to replace the tyres. Am talking in general here.
He can. It is a little rare, but it's possible. all tyres do have a serial number. They can be tracked like any NOkia or iPod! Even if the customer goes to another city, he should have the bill to prove that he bought the tyres less than a year ago(or 3 years in this case).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Do the dealers provide any replacement tires when the tire is sent to the company?
How do they identify the tire as the same one that they sold. I have not noticed any serial number as such on a tire.
1). Depends on the customer's relationship with the dealer. The dealer is under no obligation to give him a tyre. Afterall, this is when your spare tyre should come in handy!

2). As explained, it is just a matter of goodwill. Problem with giving a tyre to everyone who comes to return a tyre is this: The old tyre is gone. That is why the customer is asking for a replacement. If we give him a good tyre(in decent running condition), then there are chances that the customer will not return at all. He'll just take the one good tyre and disappear!

3). I will post pics of serial number day after tomorrow. I'm already home now and dont have any tyres here to take pics of and post!
Old 4th February 2009, 19:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

When I bought my Michelin XM1+ tyres, I got the Warranty card from the tyre dealer.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 19:40   #7
BHPian

whoa! hold on
Mr Nikhil first and foremost please check these facts
1. no company "REPLACES" the tyre on a one to one basis, there is soething called as PRO RATA measure, wherin the tyre usage is gauged using a tyre gauge to ascertain the amount of usage on the tyre
2. i do not think that the tyres are 'sent ' back to the company, usually there is a authorised service guy in every locality.
3. 'bulge' as you say may not neccesarily be a manufacturing defect
4. ALL TYRES HAVE THEIR CODED SERIAL NUMBERS EMBOSSED ON THE SIDE WALL, YOU CAN ALSO SEE THE DATE OF MANUFACTURING , THE ASPECT RATIO AND THE SPEED RATING ON THE SIDE WALL
4. very few companies do actually issue warranty cards, but the bill is the most imp documents
5, YOU CAN CLAIM WARRANTY FOR A TYRE FROM ANY AUTHORISED DEALER IN INDIA. ALL AUTHORISED DEALERS ARE OBLIDGED TO CATER TO WARRANTY CLAIMS, OR YOU CAN TAKE THE CONCERNED SALES/ SERVICE ENGINEERS NUM FROM THE DEALER AND CALL UP THAT GUY DIRECTLY
Quote:

whitemm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 21:16   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
whoa! hold on
Mr Nikhil first and foremost please check these facts
1. no company "REPLACES" the tyre on a one to one basis, there is soething called as PRO RATA measure, wherin the tyre usage is gauged using a tyre gauge to ascertain the amount of usage on the tyre
2. i do not think that the tyres are 'sent ' back to the company, usually there is a authorised service guy in every locality.
3. 'bulge' as you say may not neccesarily be a manufacturing defect
4. ALL TYRES HAVE THEIR CODED SERIAL NUMBERS EMBOSSED ON THE SIDE WALL, YOU CAN ALSO SEE THE DATE OF MANUFACTURING , THE ASPECT RATIO AND THE SPEED RATING ON THE SIDE WALL
4. very few companies do actually issue warranty cards, but the bill is the most imp documents
5, YOU CAN CLAIM WARRANTY FOR A TYRE FROM ANY AUTHORISED DEALER IN INDIA. ALL AUTHORISED DEALERS ARE OBLIDGED TO CATER TO WARRANTY CLAIMS, OR YOU CAN TAKE THE CONCERNED SALES/ SERVICE ENGINEERS NUM FROM THE DEALER AND CALL UP THAT GUY DIRECTLY
Friend,

You need to read my post carefully. I was hypothesising a lot. Being in the business, I know very well why most bulges are caused.

In Bangalore at least, many times, we send the tyre to the company. Especially for Bridgestone, Apollo, Good Year. For Michelin, generally the company rep comes and rejects or accepts it. Same goes for Falken.

For MRF too, we send it back to the company. Maybe different rules for different regions?
Old 4th February 2009, 22:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
hi all , i changed my tyres y'day from bridgestone performance club store , i have taken Bridgestone B250 . on enquiry found out that the tyres are covered for 3 years unlimited mileage .When i insisted on warranty card , dealer said no warranty card is available and is the bill is sufficient . I am wondering whether this would be true? . Requesting forum members to provide some info and pls inform on the scope of warranty .

P.S: Mods unable to find any thread on the topic , if available pls merge / move to the same .
Recently Bridgestone has also started giving warranty cards. However, i think it's not mandatory. you can get the warranty for manufacturing defects only, which are very rare in branded tyres.
lancer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 01:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Arjuna - As long as the bill is a proper one & mentions what & how many tyres you bought I don't see a problem in taking only that. A few companies provide Warranty cards while others do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post

Tyres have serial numbers for sure but usually the bill is sufficient to get you warranty coverage.

Quote:

1. If you a good rapport with the dealer yes, otherwise no. He's under no obligation to do so.

2. Purely good will unless specified otherwise in the warranty terms & conditions.

3. Usually don't bother. It's the companies headache to check & replace the tyres. They just show them either to the visiting technical rep or send them to the regional/head office.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 12:17   #11
BHPian

Something happens to your tyre(say it develops a bulge due to a manufacturing defect).
Hi nikhil , I had to replace my stock Goodyear GT3 for the same reason with 40K on the odo in 2.5 years .when i checked with showroom they insisted i change the tyres. now how do i enforce the warranty ?(technically the tyre is within 3 years warranty period from delivery date )
2) what is the scope of the warranty. cud u pls explain
rm_arjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 13:50   #12
VEA
BHPian

Quote:
Most companies wont give you warranty cards but will accept genuine warranty claims. I had an occassion where one of the OE fitted tyres on my SKoda Superb developed a blister sort of thing on the side wall. Goodyear changed all five tyres (including the unused spare). Of course, it could be something to do with the OE supplier/buyer agreements. I have very good experience with Bridgestone accepting my claims too.

Now, the only company who provided me with a warranty card was michelin. I soon found out the warranty card is useless rubbish paper. My innova had a bump in the sidewall after 2000 kms and when contacted, michelin explained it was due to a stone chip. There was no visible scratch marks on it to conclude that way. I dont know how they identified it as a stone chip without any visible evidence inside or outside the sidewall. Even if its a stone chip, arent they responsible for thier tyres? I didnt take it off-road anyways. The tyre should ideally withstand anything on the road! So to conclude, a manufacturer who doesnt give you a warranty card may actually be better than one who gives you a colourful peice of paper and doesnt accept any claims!
VEA is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 14:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
1). Depends on the customer's relationship with the dealer. The dealer is under no obligation to give him a tyre. Afterall, this is when your spare tyre should come in handy!
I do not agree with this at all.Spare should be used only as a stop gap mechanism (say you have a puncture and you need to fix the puncture in a day or two) not for more than 100 km of driving. if you do that you will be putting yourself at a risk of being stranded with a flat tyre.

Better solution would be to buy a replacement tyres on an assurance from the dealer that if the company accepts the fault as manufacturing defect then the dealer will provide an equivalent refund (pro rated).

Last edited by DieselFan : 5th February 2009 at 14:47.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 14:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

given the fact that a tyre warranty is virtually useless, how come there is no flourishing grey market for tyres, like we see with ICE
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 07:47   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Something happens to your tyre(say it develops a bulge due to a manufacturing defect).
Hi nikhil , I had to replace my stock Goodyear GT3 for the same reason with 40K on the odo in 2.5 years .when i checked with showroom they insisted i change the tyres. now how do i enforce the warranty ?(technically the tyre is within 3 years warranty period from delivery date )
2) what is the scope of the warranty. cud u pls explain
tyre warranty is very iffy.

It safeguards you only against "Manufacturing Defects". The company reps decide on this.

Warranty is for 3 years from the time of your first purchase. If they replace a tyre after 1 and a half years, then your warranty is valid for another 1.5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post
Most companies wont give you warranty cards but will accept genuine warranty claims. I had an occassion where one of the OE fitted tyres on my SKoda Superb developed a blister sort of thing on the side wall. Goodyear changed all five tyres (including the unused spare). Of course, it could be something to do with the OE supplier/buyer agreements. I have very good experience with Bridgestone accepting my claims too.

Now, the only company who provided me with a warranty card was michelin. I soon found out the warranty card is useless rubbish paper. My innova had a bump in the sidewall after 2000 kms and when contacted, michelin explained it was due to a stone chip. There was no visible scratch marks on it to conclude that way. I dont know how they identified it as a stone chip without any visible evidence inside or outside the sidewall. Even if its a stone chip, arent they responsible for thier tyres? I didnt take it off-road anyways. The tyre should ideally withstand anything on the road! So to conclude, a manufacturer who doesnt give you a warranty card may actually be better than one who gives you a colourful peice of paper and doesnt accept any claims!
Actually, hitting a stone on the road and damaging your tyre doesnt qualify for replacement under warranty. Very few companies will entertain you.

It is like taking your car, hitting a pole and then coming back and asking your service centre to change the bumpers under warranty. Taking your iPhone, dunking it in water and then asking for a replacement under warranty.

No one will entertain you. Tyres are subjected to a lot of abuse, especially on our roads. You need to be careful. SOmetimes, it is just bad luck. You have to take it like that.

Most of the damage isnt visible on the sidewall. The company rep sees the inside of the tyre before making a decision. Michelin tyres are very soft compared to most of the other brands. Their tyres will develop a bulge even without a physical mark. They are the ones who are very strict when it comes to warranty claims.

They have almost no exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I do not agree with this at all.Spare should be used only as a stop gap mechanism (say you have a puncture and you need to fix the puncture in a day or two) not for more than 100 km of driving. if you do that you will be putting yourself at a risk of being stranded with a flat tyre.

Better solution would be to buy a replacement tyres on an assurance from the dealer that if the company accepts the fault as manufacturing defect then the dealer will provide an equivalent refund (pro rated).
It will take the company about 2 days (at max) to decide whether they are replacing the tyre or not. 99.99% of people will be doing only city driving in those 2 days. How many will run for more than 100 kms on the spare tyre?

Also you need to consider the fact that most car manuals recommend 5 wheel tyre rotation. So, their spare tyre is not brand new. IF they run with the spare for more than 100 kms, what is the harm? Only if you upsize and have 4 tyres of one size and the spare is of a smaller size can it be a problem.

Depending on your relationship with the dealer, you can work out a deal like you mentioned. Buy a tyre for temporary use and then if the company accepts to give you a replacement, the dealer can pay you back the amount you spent on the tyre.

What

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
given the fact that a tyre warranty is virtually useless, how come there is no flourishing grey market for tyres, like we see with ICE
Dont say that!! I'll go out of business!!

On a serious note, there is aa very good grey market. Earlier, how do you think you used to get Yokohamas?(pre June 2007 i.e). Nowadays, how do you think you get most Nankangs, Coopers, Maxxis, etc?

Here, the warranty is from the dealer. The company doesnt even come in the scheme of things.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote