Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

View Poll Results: Which of the following is cheaper, better and reliable Tyre
Bridgestone Potenza G-III 29 33.33%
Michelin Pilot Preceda 2 34 39.08%
Yokohama S-Drive 24 27.59%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th February 2009, 11:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
IMO I would rate the tyres in the follwing order:

1. PP2
2. S-Drive
3. GIII
Is Bridgestone GIII used in old Corolla (3/2007). My car tyres are now 37K old with one brand new spare tyre. I was planning on buying a Michelin MXV8 next year at 50K. Will that be better than GIII or Bridgestone's RE88??. If I do change all 4 tyres, what will happen to the 5th tyre. Should I just keep it and will there be a problem if I use it in an emrgency (provided the other tyres are different). Size will be the same 195/60 R15.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 12:06   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

I think Corollas came with RE88s as OEM tyres.

IF the size is same, you can keep the RE88 as a spare. Run 4 MXV8s on the car. There will be NO problems whatsoever if you use it in an emergency.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 13:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
They were out a while back, .. nikhil said they wont be out until mid 09 and then again they definately wont come to india.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
They will come but after a time. Jun/July 2009 for other countries. I dont expect them to come to India before nov/dec at the earliest.

I spoke to the company guy. He said he will let me know asap.
They're coming Nikhil, plans have been confirmed. Gradual roll out beginning in the next 6-8 months time. So you'll see them here before the end of the year for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Is Bridgestone GIII used in old Corolla (3/2007). My car tyres are now 37K old with one brand new spare tyre. I was planning on buying a Michelin MXV8 next year at 50K. Will that be better than GIII or Bridgestone's RE88??. If I do change all 4 tyres, what will happen to the 5th tyre. Should I just keep it and will there be a problem if I use it in an emrgency (provided the other tyres are different). Size will be the same 195/60 R15.
No, the Corolla only came with Potenza RE88's, different from the GIII's. And yes, there'll be a marked difference if you go in for the MXV8's. Fifth tyre can be the one that is the best amongst the current 5 (let the tyre dealer pick it) and can be used without any issues at all in the case of a puncture/emergency.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 13:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, the Corolla only came with Potenza RE88's, different from the GIII's. And yes, there'll be a marked difference if you go in for the MXV8's.
Based on the recommendations in this thread, I did buy Michelin XM1+ 175/70 R13 for my Corsa last year.

Perhaps the marked difference/higher quality of Michelin MXV8 be reflected in lower noise and comfort (satisfied with present Corolla Bridegstone tyres on this, but have not used MXV8 so they could be better in this regard).

Thanks a lot for this.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 13:21   #35
Senior - BHPian

I've never used S Drives, so cannot comment on them. From what users tell me, they are very good.
I have been using PP2s for the last 1.5 years or so, and I've been extremely pleased with them. Handling is great, in dry or wet conditions. Very low road noise, and pretty comfortable for a performance tyre. I would recommend them very highly.

Used G3s for a while - they are decent tyres, but nowhere close to the PP2s.

Poll topic is slightly confusing - cheaper, better and reliable - not sure all three aspects can be clubbed together. Also, "better" in what sense?
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 14:05   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
I am currently looking at replacing my Octavia tyres which are Bridgestone POTENZA GIII. Should I go for GIII again?
Ardy, you seem to have used GIIIs quite well, so why dont you put up your detail review about GIIIs is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
G-III Potenza's are the best set of tyres i've ever driven.
pavan i understand your point, there are many people who really appreciate GIII, yet there are many who dont really like GIII, plus you have used them on smaller vehicle and not on performance vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Stay away from G-IIIs.
Quote:
IMO I would rate the tyres in the follwing order:

1. PP2
2. S-Drive
3. GIII

And please, avoid the GIII's unless you have no other option.
v1p3r, iraghava it would be great if you could tell us the reason as why to stay away from GIIIs
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 14:09   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
v1p3r, iraghava it would be great if you could tell us the reason as why to stay away from GIIIs
The game has moved on as simple as that. They have been phased out worldwide & replaced with better, newer tyres. All the old moulds from Japan were shipped to India & so the only market where the GIII's are sold anywhere in the world is India.

Don't you think there's a good reason why they're not sold in any developed markets any more?
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 14:41   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Ardy, you seem to have used GIIIs quite well, so why dont you put up your detail review about GIIIs is possible.
2 of the GIIIs (215/55R16 91V) on my Octavia 1.9 TDi have lasted me for 50,000 Kms. But then, driving on Octavia has been pretty sedate and 91V are capable of handling 270KMPH speeds. I use vRS alloys on my TDi as well, which are 16" wheels and the tyres are of a lower profile than the stock tyres on Octavia 1.9 Tdi. I have now started getting bubles on the side walls of one of the tyre. This tyre with a bubble on the side wall did not give way on a long drive from Allahabad to Hyderabad.

The other 2 tyres are newer one with about 20,000 Kms on them. I have really not had much of a complaint with them as such. However, the reasons for 2 newer tyres were because my dad managed to drive the car through a pot holes in a remote location of MP at speeds of over 100Km resulting in one of the tyres busting. Now, I am not sure of the really circumstances, but the alloys got bent on the inside, one tyre busted and one tyre intact after 30,000 Kms driving on them.

To conclude, I have really not had any complaints with GIII. From my perspective they have good life and have good grip. But, I am not receiving enough advices from other BHPians to try PP2 and have been suggested to go for Michelin even by the Skoda dealer here.

PS: This URL would give a good inside on the Tyre knowledge. Tyre knowledge, Tyre information, Know bias tyres, Radial tyres, Tubeless tyres

Last edited by Ardy : 13th February 2009 at 14:57. Reason: Additional information
Ardy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 14:51   #39
BHPian

I have used PP1 and PP2's on my Corolla and now S-drives on My Mondeo. S-Drvies are nowhere close to PP2's in terms of Road grip. And the older PP1s lasted for almost 45K Kms of hard driving, nerver had any problems except the higher level of wind noise. Then moved to PP2s and they are even better. S-Drives grip level is pathetic although they handle well around corners.
novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 16:20   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They're coming Nikhil, plans have been confirmed. Gradual roll out beginning in the next 6-8 months time. So you'll see them here before the end of the year for sure.
That is what I said . End of the year. Not anytime soon!
Old 13th February 2009, 19:16   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Poll topic is slightly confusing - cheaper, better and reliable - not sure all three aspects can be clubbed together. Also, "better" in what sense?
I get your point, if not cheaper but better and reliable can be clubed together. i am purely talking about tyre for performance car and better mean which is better amongst the listed three.
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 19:47   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mainly because they are hard, noisy, just about average in terms of grip, and quite expensive, ridiculously so for their price.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 18:58   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008
Plus, very frankly, I expect India to be the dumping ground for AD07s from other countries. Since we are a third world country, they wont expect us to want the very latest and best. So, we'll have to wait for them to launch it.
I won't mind that if is also translates into big discounts???
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 21:09   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

No! No big discounts unfortunately.
Old 13th April 2009, 21:22   #45
Senior - BHPian

Been using G3s for 20K kms now. Pretty happy with the grip and wear levels. Have driven them hard on diff road surfaces but haven't had a single puncture so far.

Then again, i will wait till i do a track-day on these tyres before i give my final verdict.

But for day to day use, they're definately good.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 13th April 2009 at 21:23.
Shan2nu is online now   Reply With Quote