Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 2nd March 2009, 19:30   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Dushyant - Make out a full report about what happened, including the fact that you are seeing adice to take this to a consumer court and the fact that its one a forum with other pottential customers and then blast it off to as many big wigs, that you can find across Michelin all over the world.

I will be veryyy shocked if something is not done about it then.

CEO Michelin India is Herve Dub or Jean Paul Caylar.

I am following up with Michelin India. Any help in letting me get the email id of people who matter at Michelin Worldwide is welcome!

The CEO India is Jean Paul Caylar, dont know his email id though. Michelin follows firstname.lastname@in.michelin.com This fellow has a middle name, so what do I do now!
dushmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 20:13   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Mr.Dushyant Mishra - hello to you. please read carefully.

The tyre is the single most important part of the car because it is the only point of contact with the road. Everything else is floating above the road, including you. Therefore you just cannot take any chance with your car tyres. That said, in our country, we have now achieved a reasonable level of manufacturing quality as far as tyres are concerned. Therefore I would essentially buy "made in India" tyres only, for two reasons. It makes me proud to buy an indian product, but more than that, it helps me to steer clear of all sorts of "imported" tyres floating all over the place in India. I WOULD STRICTLY ADVISE YOU TO REFRAIN FROM BUYING ANY TYRE WHOSE MANUFACTURING CREDENTIALS ARE QUESTIONABLE. e.g. something made in Taiwan or something made somewhere else, where YOU JUST DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE BUYING. At least if it is MRF or JK or Bridgestone you know what you are buying.

All above said, let's come to specifications. I presume you know the basics (like you know what 175/70R14 stands for). That said, please note that for any size of tyre, there is a correct wheel rim and an alternate wheel rim mentioned in a manual known as the ITTAC manual. e.g. a 235/70R16 (Scorpio) will go on a 6.5J but a 6J may be "alternately tolerable" (I am just citing some example, please do not take this data to be as per ITTAC). I would hazard a guess that most of the "typical folks" that you will meet at a swanky tyre shop will not know that an ITTAC manual exists. TeamBHPians know but I do not know about others. Now come to wheel rim offset. This is a design dimension between the centre line of the tyre and its mounting face. It is positive if the centre line is inside the mounting face. If you change your wheel rims where this offset is different (as many people do - pay good money to spoil the car), you change the complete vehicle dynamics because if you change the offset, you change the scrub raduis which is an extremely important suspension design parameter. Again ask the "folks" whether they know? The reply you will get is "hum hai naa, aap fikar mat karo". Arre baba, it is your lfe, not theirs. Now come to the number of mounting holes in an aftermarket alloy wheel. Normally cars have 4 holes per wheel but you wil see a dime a dozen wheel rims floating around having 8 or even 12 holes. That is done to enable the same wheel rim to fit onto cars with different PCDs (pitch circle diameter). You have 100 mm, 114.3 mm (4.5 inches), 139.7 mm (5.5 inches) et al. Please stay away from such junk. Remember, the tyre is the most important part of the car and it's your life.

By the way, the ITTAC manual also specifies shelf behaviour for storing tyres. If I remember correctly, if stored horizontally, the maximum number per stack is 12 provided the weight of all tyres is almost equal. Complete details are available.

Why am I telling you all this? I have seen no improvement in the way the tyrewallahs deal with customers for years. All are like this only. There are swanky shops where you will get tea and lots of "advise" from "so-called knowledgeables". I just do not go only to such establishments. But don't worry, I will guide you in totality on what to do so that you realise good value for your money which must be spent wisely if at all. Please PM me, I will give you all details and I will also give you my mobile number, then we will talk.

Please accept my best personal regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 2nd March 2009 at 20:17. Reason: add info
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 20:14   #33
BHPian

Try it as Jean.Caylar
Samir Taheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 21:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Dushyant - Like I told you the other day, let me know if you need any help from my side.

Tyre bhagwan prakat hue hain, Dushyant, take his advice, most things should sort out with Tyre bhagwan's guidance.

Cheers
M M
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 22:20   #35
BHPian

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Tyre bhagwan prakat hue hain, Dushyant, take his advice, most things should sort out with Tyre bhagwan's guidance.

Cheers
M M

Dear MM,

I just returned from office after a long day. Thanks to stupid people at Michelin there weren't many happy things around. Logged in to check whats up on TBHP and saw your post. Had a hearty laugh for good five minutes.

Your post made my day dear! I knew Ishaan is knowledgble when it comes to tyres, but tyre bhagwan was absolutely out of this world that we lesser mortals belong to.

Cheers!
Tyre Bhagwan ka Bhakt
Dushmish
Old 3rd March 2009, 10:40   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
That said, in our country, we have now achieved a reasonable level of manufacturing quality as far as tyres are concerned. Therefore I would essentially buy "made in India" tyres only, for two reasons. It makes me proud to buy an indian product, but more than that, it helps me to steer clear of all sorts of "imported" tyres floating all over the place in India. I WOULD STRICTLY ADVISE YOU TO REFRAIN FROM BUYING ANY TYRE WHOSE MANUFACTURING CREDENTIALS ARE QUESTIONABLE. e.g. something made in Taiwan or something made somewhere else, where YOU JUST DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE BUYING. At least if it is MRF or JK or Bridgestone you know what you are buying.
Thanks Behram for your advice. About buying made in India or made in Taiwan. Well I am as patriotic as one can get! But I did not understand the logic of "knowing what you are buying" in both conditions I am buying tyres is what I know. My moment of truth is my interaction with the dealer.

Reading your post, I could make out you know a lot about tyres. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

guess this is making me strike the XM1s off my list for tyre upgrads for the palio & Lancer!
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

I put XM1's in my old Santro last year. They were fantastic Tyres !! Even the Michelin dealer in Agra gave me a 2000 rs Reebok Tracksuit free with purchase of 4 tyres.

I guess your experience with Michelin has been bad - The dealer & tarini.

I am sure once your mail reaches the top concerned boss in Michelin. The dealer would be in a tight spot. Michelin should be really careful with dealers like tese as they can tarnish their image.

Someone send them this link !!
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:09   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I put XM1's in my old Santro last year. They were fantastic Tyres !! Even the Michelin dealer in Agra gave me a 2000 rs Reebok Tracksuit free with purchase of 4 tyres.

I guess your experience with Michelin has been bad - The dealer & tarini.

I am sure once your mail reaches the top concerned boss in Michelin. The dealer would be in a tight spot. Michelin should be really careful with dealers like tese as they can tarnish their image.

Someone send them this link !!
The dealer will NOT be in a tight spot. They will just talk to him, tell him not to do this again and vanish.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 15:17   #40
Senior - BHPian

I think this Tarini fellow must have been already fired by the company and is in "notice period" which is why he is behaving like this to the customer..

Dushmish - keep this thread alive on how things are going. I know the corporate communications manager of Michelin India. If you are not able to get redressal through any means, we can write to this gentleman
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 15:23   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Dushmish, please check your PM.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 15:50   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Moral No.1:
Before letting them touch your existing boots ask them to bring and display the new tyres which they are going to install.

I have always been a big fan of Michelin and Pirelli. Now I will keep my eyes are ears open!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 15:59   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
I am following up with Michelin India. Any help in letting me get the email id of people who matter at Michelin Worldwide is welcome!

The CEO India is Jean Paul Caylar, dont know his email id though. Michelin follows firstname.lastname@in.michelin.com This fellow has a middle name, so what do I do now!
try JeanPaul.Calyar@in.michelin.com or Jean.PaulCaylar@in.XXX or Jean.Caylar@in.XXX do it once you'd know which is a valid ID pester this CEO for a week 3 times a day saying that it's pathetic, you expect a response from him blah blah etc....

btw I came across another Michelin dealer's horror over here on tbhp -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-energy-2.html (Grey Market Michelin XM1 Energy)

All this done by dealers mentioned on their site makes one worry even more....
sonirohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 10:38   #44
BHPian

Default Response from Michelin

Mr Vishal Singh (Regional Manager, West, Michelin India) has replied to my mail. I am pasting his response below for your reference:

Sir,
The initiated corrective action will take sometime and as far as my knowledge his accent is a bit blunt and he is like that and has just joined the organization, its his learning phase.
Best RegardsVishal Singh
Michelin India Tyres Pvt Ltd
Unit 401-404, 4th Floor,
Copia Corporate Suites,
Jasola District Centre,
New Delhi 110076
Michelin India - Home
Hand Phone +91 9892767736

I really don't know how do I respond to this mail. Michelin India should inform all prospective customers that "We at Michelin are like that". I am actually at the end of my wits. I really don't know what to do now.

Dushmish

Last edited by dushmish : 4th March 2009 at 10:54. Reason: removed formatting tags
Old 4th March 2009, 10:50   #45
Team-BHP Support

Horrible.

How about looking some of Michelin guys on LinkedIn ? India and worldwide. And then blasting them. If nothing happens, then I am sorry but don't think anything would be possible. Remember how the movie "Jane bhi do yaaron" ended ?
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote