Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 16:32   #1
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,642 Times
Default Are Bridgestone HT Tires sub standard?

My Indica has done 108000kms, and has seen countless highways, mountain roads, no roads, high passes. All this has been accomplished in the Apollo Aceleres, a low budget tire. without frills.
I have never suffered blowouts, sidewall bulges etc.,

Now lets come to Bridgestone HTs.
First incident. The tire blew up. Yes at 90kmph on the highway, it lost pressure suddenly. Sidewall impact? Somebody shot a bullet? No. It just blew up.
And since I had to slowly come to the side, in the ensuing 500mts I drove after that, the sidewall got more cut. Something like when you drive after a puncture.
I have had many punctures in the Aceleres. In one case there was a 1/2" thick bolt which pierced the tire and went till the rim.
but still I did not loose air for a day.
Even with smaller punctures, tubless tires hold air for atleast some time.
But in this case, it happened within seconds.
One moment I am going fine, the next the tire is totally flat.

what to do? Get a new tire, since blowouts are not guaranteed.

Now comes the second incident. I go to the OTR, and the fun has just started, and I notice a bulge on the sidewall.
I take to a bridgestone dealer, he says that I probably hit a pothole etc., too hard, so no warranty benefit.

Well it looks I have to get another Tire soon.
So my question is that does Bridgestone make sub standard products which cannot bear the potholed highways of this country,
If so, they should stick to selling the west, and not pawn of such delicate tires here.

I think I will stick to JK/Apollo etc.,
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 16:36   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Two of my tyres got cuts (I had posted pix here) which surprised me. Maybe its vandalism :( I dont think my driving style caused it.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 16:40   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,799 Times
Default

OT: I think your Indica is running Amazers. Not Acceleres.

OTOH, I dont think BS HTs are bad tyres. They arent meant for hard offroading. They are HT tyres and not AT. How can you say they are bad if they develop a bulge due to hard offroading? It is like taking a Ferrari to an OTR and when it gets stuck or spoilt, you say it's a bad unreliable car!

About the blowout, I would say PURE BAD LUCK. And good luck too since you could retain control and there were no injuries. You should have still pressed a claim with the company as a blowout at high speed is ridiculous.Of course, you would have had a hard time proving your case but then the company too would have had a hard time proving that it was NOT a manufacturing defect.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 16:52   #4
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,642 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
OT: I think your Indica is running Amazers. Not Acceleres.
Nope, unless the dealer sold me Amazers and changed the lettering on the side, my Indica runs 3 Accellers and one Ducaro
Quote:
OTOH, I dont think BS HTs are bad tyres. They arent meant for hard offroading. They are HT tyres and not AT. How can you say they are bad if they develop a bulge due to hard offroading? It is like taking a Ferrari to an OTR and when it gets stuck or spoilt, you say it's a bad unreliable car!
The bulge did not appear after offroading, but right at the beginning, before I hit the rocky path, Before this all I went into was loose sand. Moreover, the slight cut mark is near the main tread, however near the peak of the bulge, there are no cuts.
Forget offroading, I am talking about extremely bad roads. If Apollos do them, why not Bridgestones.
Quote:
About the blowout, I would say PURE BAD LUCK. And good luck too since you could retain control and there were no injuries. You should have still pressed a claim with the company as a blowout at high speed is ridiculous.Of course, you would have had a hard time proving your case but then the company too would have had a hard time proving that it was NOT a manufacturing defect.
I drove half a km after blowout as I slowly moved to left lane. What happens when you do that? You cut more sidewall.
So its my word against theirs, and they are not ready to believe. So I have bought better tires... JK Elanzo
I guess the second replacement will also be Elanzo
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 16:59   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Shan2nu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hubli - Karnata
Posts: 5,525
Thanked: 87 Times
Default

Are these tyres made in India?

Coz even i had a blow out in the S322's, the sidewall was slit horizontally.

But absolutely no issues with the G3s (which has seen worse driving conditions).

So its either a defective batch or a prob with tyres made here.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 16:59   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,799 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Nope, unless the dealer sold me Amazers and changed the lettering on the side, my Indica runs 3 Accellers and one Ducaro
Hehe. My bad then. Generally the Amazers are the ones which can take all the abuse you throw at it. The Acceleres are a little softer and more prone to damage. the Amazers are OE on the Indica, so I wrongly assumed that you were running Amazers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The bulge did not appear after offroading, but right at the beginning, before I hit the rocky path, Before this all I went into was loose sand. Moreover, the slight cut mark is near the main tread, however near the peak of the bulge, there are no cuts.
Forget offroading, I am talking about extremely bad roads. If Apollos do them, why not Bridgestones.
Well, that is why Apollo is Apollo and BS is BS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I drove half a km after blowout as I slowly moved to left lane. What happens when you do that? You cut more sidewall.
So its my word against theirs, and they are not ready to believe. So I have bought better tires... JK Elanzo
I guess the second replacement will also be Elanzo
This is terrible luck. I agree. On the other hand, the JKs are supposed to be much more rugged and long lasting.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 17:03   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Two of my tyres got cuts (I had posted pix here) which surprised me. Maybe its vandalism :( I dont think my driving style caused it.
Vandalism on an SUV tyre? Unless one uses a powered drill, I think that would be very difficult. No ordinary knife will do any sizeable damage to a tyre like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Are these tyres made in India?
Yes, they are.

Last edited by iraghava : 30th March 2009 at 17:05.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 17:25   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,837
Thanked: 1,315 Times
Default

just curious, what about apollo hawkz? they've been on an advertising spree lately
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 18:45   #9
BHPian
 
WasavaTyres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indore
Posts: 729
Thanked: 239 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Nope, unless the dealer sold me Amazers and changed the lettering on the side, my Indica runs 3 Accellers and one Ducaro
Heh heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So I have bought better tires... JK Elanzo
I guess the second replacement will also be Elanzo
You find them more comfortable to drive in than the Bridgestone's ??
WasavaTyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 23:28   #10
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,642 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
You find them more comfortable to drive in than the Bridgestone's ??
Safari has a pretty soft suspension. So a harder tire isn't going to make much of a difference to ride quality, however a harder tire will be more durable on bad roads. I can't keep buying tires every month.
I guess bridgestone should have stuck to countries where there are no potholes.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 23:44   #11
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore / Madras
Posts: 1,980
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Going by what I read today on Team-BHP, Bridgestone Dueler H/T tubed (OEM for the 3.0 DiCOR) seem to be better than the tubeless versions (OEM for the 2.2 DiCOR).
Mine wore out early (58.6K km + 5-6K km expected life) compared to the JK Tornados on the Indica (64K km front / 74K km rear + spare).
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 03:43   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,553 Times
Default

My Bolero has been running on Bridgestone Dueler H/T's since 8 years and 160K kms now.
I have never faced any issues with them.
But then I may be wrong since Bolero does not make enough power to test these tyres to their limits.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 07:04   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,837
Thanked: 1,315 Times
Default

I dont think all bridgestone tyres are universally bad. The S322's (tubed) that came on my indica have been abused a lot - bad terrain, getting their sides scuffed by the edges of concrete slabs ( the wheelcaps got broken), and still no issues
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 07:39   #14
BHPian
 
Spinnerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 346
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
....Bridgestone Dueler H/T tubed ....
Mine wore out early (58.6K km + 5-6K km expected life) compared to the JK Tornados on the Indica (64K km front / 74K km rear + spare).
Arent those Bridgestones made of a softer component? So I feel you got them last for over 50K kms is good. I thought they lasted max for about 35-40K and not more on heavy vehicles like Safari/Scorp/Bolero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
My Bolero has been running on Bridgestone Dueler H/T's since 8 years and 160K kms now.
So how many kms does a set last for? Do they last for more than 40K kms?


There are a couple of long term Bolero owners around, and I believe Boleros were mostly shipped with Bridgestone Dueler. Could you guys tell us how many kms these tyre last.
Spinnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 07:47   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,553 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Arent those Bridgestones made of a softer component? So I feel you got them last for over 50K kms is good. I thought they lasted max for about 35-40K and not more on heavy vehicles like Safari/Scorp/Bolero.



So how many kms does a set last for? Do they last for more than 40K kms?


There are a couple of long term Bolero owners around, and I believe Boleros were mostly shipped with Bridgestone Dueler. Could you guys tell us how many kms these tyre last.
I would say 35-40K(this is when we replace them) would be more apt for them
they wear out quite fast on road,and our Bolero wasnt subjected to any kind of offroading.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 31st March 2009 at 07:50.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Query : Tubeless tires / Normal Tires nicejits Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 12 10th June 2009 09:59
Which one: Dual 8" sub V/s Single 10" sub? Invinsible In-Car Entertainment 53 28th May 2009 13:33
ground zero Sub vs image dynamics Sub rohanGT In-Car Entertainment 105 29th March 2009 05:01
Bridgestone Potenza G3 - First Impression.... Shan2nu Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 33 12th October 2007 20:19
Bridgestone accepts Ferrari blame moralfibre Int'l Motorsport 2 23rd March 2005 14:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:30.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks