Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2012, 19:20   #286
BHPian
 
ultimatechamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 422
Thanked: 92 Times
Red face Re: Michelin Primacy LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
MRF's and Indian manufacturers may be unsexy but they have very sturdy double ply sidewalls and deep treads to counter such situations, they may lower ride comfort but guarantee higher margin of safety to passengers. Can't say what technical changes they have done in ZLo's in this regard.
Rightly said lurker. Imported tyres may be too good overall,but may lack the sturdiness of locally made tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The thing with tyres is that you can't actually test a set before purchasing.
Absolutely true R2D2,and that is why the dilemma.
The amount of conflicting information on the internet,about the pros and cons of so-called reputed international tyres on Indian roads have increased our woes rather than mitigate it.
ultimatechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 20:26   #287
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,866
Thanked: 2,231 Times
Default Re: Michelin Primacy LC

I forgot to mention here. I got the Primacy MXV4 205/65R15 for my Civic 2 weeks ago. The tyres have changed the way my car treads now. Literally!!! Super comfortable ride, tons of grip and very confidence inspiring at speeds in excess of even 150. They are a replacement for the stock Bridgestones that had done 41k odd km and were five years old. I am very happy!! Michelin does know how to make their rubber, and this is my second set of Mich's after the 'overhyped' Pilot Preceda 2 (I liked their grip, but everything else was ordinary and ride was APPALING)


PS: Michelin Primacy MXV4 are guaranteed for 60k miles in USA. Which speaks a lot about how long they will last me!
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 16:16   #288
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,799 Times
Default Re: Michelin Primacy LC

I got the Primacy LCs for my Civic about a month back.

The ride quality has improved by leaps and bounds. Grip levels are also better and the noise level is extremely low.

I was convinced of the PLCs before I bought them but with regular usage over the last month, I am even more convinced.

I did cut the sidewall of my front left when I tried to climb onto a footpath by mistake! The tyre instantly burst and I had to fit my spare tyre.

In any case, these tyres are very expensive but worth it if comfort and silence is your primary objective.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 17:29   #289
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,782
Thanked: 3,009 Times
Default Re: Michelin Primacy LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I got the Primacy LCs for my Civic about a month back.

The ride quality has improved by leaps and bounds. Grip levels are also better and the noise level is extremely low.

I was convinced of the PLCs before I bought them but with regular usage over the last month, I am even more convinced.

I did cut the sidewall of my front left when I tried to climb onto a footpath by mistake! The tyre instantly burst and I had to fit my spare tyre.

In any case, these tyres are very expensive but worth it if comfort and silence is your primary objective.
Glad to know that you are happy with the PLCs. I've got them on my Laura and have completed about 30K kms on them. THe tread wear is very even. I have rotated the tyres every 7.5k kms. They are going strong and looks like my car will go well past 50,000 kms on this set. The best part about the tyre is that even after 30,000 kms they have not changed in their behaviour. THe grip, ride comfort and silence seem to be just like when they were new. I am very happy with these tyres I must say.

I have had a sidewall bulge on one tyre at 12,000 kms which Michelin replaced under warranty, which has been the only black spot in the otherwise flawless performance of these tyres. Since then no issues , not even a puncture. But I am concerned that your one of your tyres burst upon accidently climbing on to a footpath. Are the sidewalls so delicate?
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:48   #290
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,136 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I did cut the sidewall of my front left when I tried to climb onto a footpath by mistake! The tyre instantly burst and I had to fit my spare tyre.

In any case, these tyres are very expensive but worth it if comfort and silence is your primary objective.
The PLCs are the best tyres I have purchased. Period. I'd recommend them to anybody with a caution about the soft sidewalls.

Have you by any chance upsized your tyre to 205/60 R15 (common with Civic owners ) or wider and in the process reduced that all important sidewall profile with softer tyres? My guess is the sidewall got pinched between the footpath and the rim and tore.

I have hit some potholes pretty hard at high speed (~110-120 kmph) on the GQ and fortunately there's no damage. I use the OEM size 195/65 R15 and up the tyre pressure by 2 PSI for highway driving.

Last edited by R2D2 : 22nd November 2012 at 14:58.
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 18:28   #291
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,799 Times
Default Re: Michelin Primacy LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The PLCs are the best tyres I have purchased. Period. I'd recommend them to anybody with a caution about the soft sidewalls.

Have you by any chance upsized your tyre to 205/60 R15 (common with Civic owners ) or wider and in the process reduced that all important sidewall profile with softer tyres? My guess is the sidewall got pinched between the footpath and the rim and tore.

I have hit some potholes pretty hard at high speed (~110-120 kmph) on the GQ and fortunately there's no damage. I use the OEM size 195/65 R15 and up the tyre pressure by 2 PSI for highway driving.
I'm using 195/65-15.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 00:32   #292
BHPian
 
pc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 89
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Michelin Primacy LC

I upgraded my Vento tyres from Aceleres to PLC (195/60 R15). Significant difference in handling, ride and noise (almost noiseless). More details in my Vento ownership thread.

What would be the recommended tyre pressure for these tyres (city, highway, 2 people, 4 people, front, back) ? Should I just follow what VW suggests for stock Aceleres (I doubt!). Dealer mentioned 34psi but I am not so sure.

Thanks!
pc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 19:22   #293
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,136 Times
Default Re: Michelin Primacy LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc73 View Post
I upgraded my Vento tyres from Aceleres to PLC (195/60 R15). Significant difference in handling, ride and noise (almost noiseless). More details in my Vento ownership thread.

What would be the recommended tyre pressure for these tyres (city, highway, 2 people, 4 people, front, back) ? Should I just follow what VW suggests for stock Aceleres (I doubt!). Dealer mentioned 34psi but I am not so sure.

Thanks!
Tyre pressure is critical with PLCs due to the softer sidewalls. Low pressure can lead to the sidewall being damaged should you hit a pothole.

Since you have stuck to stock tyre size you can continue using the same pressure as VW recommends in the car owners manual.

However, I fill 2 PSI extra by default to 32 PSI (195/65/R15) as it helps in reducing the # of trips to the tyre shop (for a nitrogen top up) to once in 2 months. It makes the ride very slightly hard though temporarily.

Some people suggest increasing the pressure by 2-3 PSI when going on a highway run.
R2D2 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 20:14   #294
BHPian
 
pc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 89
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Michelin Primacy LC

Thanks R2D2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
T Since you have stuck to stock tyre size you can continue using the same pressure as VW recommends in the car owners manual.
No, I am not using stock tyre size. Vento stock tyre size is 185/60 and PLCs are 195/60.
pc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 18:46   #295
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,136 Times
Default Re: Michelin Primacy LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc73 View Post
No, I am not using stock tyre size. Vento stock tyre size is 185/60 and PLCs are 195/60.
I'd say stick to VW recommended pressure and increase it by 1-2 PSI if you find the car rolling or the steering becomes stiffer.

Since you have put in wider tyres and the profile has not changed compared to stock size I hope you are aware that it if you car is new, VW MAY void warranty related to the suspension.

As per this site http://www.tyrestore.in/upsizing.htm the new tyre size will result in a 1.99% difference which according to them is within limits. So you will be doing 114 kmph when the speedo shows 112. Not much
R2D2 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 07:26   #296
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 209
Thanked: 72 Times
Default Re: Michelin Primacy LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I'm using 195/65-15.
You were using 205/65/R15 on your Civic earlier -right? Any particular reason for going back to Stock size?Having done 56 K on Stock Bridgestone B250, Am planning to upgrade to 205 size.Curious to know whether you faced any issues in 205.Would also like to know whether a Stock Rim change is required for 205 upgrade?

Thanks.
ramanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 19:10   #297
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,799 Times
Default Re: Michelin Primacy LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
You were using 205/65/R15 on your Civic earlier -right? Any particular reason for going back to Stock size?Having done 56 K on Stock Bridgestone B250, Am planning to upgrade to 205 size.Curious to know whether you faced any issues in 205.Would also like to know whether a Stock Rim change is required for 205 upgrade?

Thanks.
I changed only because Michelin Primacy LC is not available in 205/65-15. I was very keen on the tyre so I went back to OEM size.

Ideally, I would have installed 205/65-15 PLC on my car.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 19:12   #298
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,866
Thanked: 2,231 Times
Default Re: Michelin Primacy LC

I have the 205/65R15 Primacy MXV4 for my Civic bro. Win-win situation. Got the size I wanted AND the MXV4 are longer lasting than the LC.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2012, 08:02   #299
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 209
Thanked: 72 Times
Default Re: Michelin Primacy LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I have the 205/65R15 Primacy MXV4 for my Civic bro. Win-win situation. Got the size I wanted AND the MXV4 are longer lasting than the LC.
Thanks.Is MXV4 reliable on rough roads or is it prone to Sidewall issues like PLC? I am inclined at the moment towards Turanza since I need reliability when I drive through rough roads.And how much did MXV4s cost you?

Last edited by ramanak : 22nd December 2012 at 08:03.
ramanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 16:10   #300
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 14
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Michelin Primacy LC

Hi all,

I want to replace the Goodyear GT3s on my Linea. I went through the entire 20 pages of this thread and still can't seem to make up my mind.

My daily drive is around 22-24 Km (from Baner to Hinjewadi and back, for Pune ppl), which is mostly on a decent road.

1) If I go for Michelin PLC, what care do I have to take while driving due to soft sidewalls? Are PLCs good tyres for Linea's weight? I was told by Darshan tyres that as Linea is heavy and PLCs have soft sidewalls, they won't last long.
What's the current cost for PLCs?

2) If somebody has to pick one, which one would you pick?

a) Michelin PLC
b) Continental CPC2
c) Yokohoma AVS DB
d) Yokohoma A Drive
e) Bridgestone Turanzas ER300

Thanks a lot!!

Nilesh
nileshdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Michelin Primacy LC - Bad experiences privin Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 82 17th February 2010 22:39
Bridgestone Potenza RE88 or Michelin Primacy LC rishi_kapoor Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 10 8th September 2009 15:21
Michelin Pilot Primacy MC Mayank Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 16 30th December 2008 23:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks