Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 2nd June 2009, 13:26   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Throw out everything you thought you knew about tyres. Auto Bild India knows best

Yes. In the latest issue of Auto Bild India, they 'brains' behind the magazine probably think they command too much respect in the industry and so have decided to put their foot in their mouth.

According to them, JK Ultima XPS is a highperformance tyre! Ultima NEXT in 12"is high performance too whereas Michelin XM1+ is just comfort/economy. JK Tornado is also high performance. Actually, almost ALL JK tyres are high performance according to the brains in the magazine.

MRF ZVTS is sports. Goodyear GT3 is high performance. Potenza GIII is an ultra high performance tyre. Michelin XM1+ in 13" is economy but in 14", it suddenly becomes high performance. MRF ZSLK is high performance as well.

Bridgestone ER 60 in 13"is high performance but in 15", it is just a sporty tyre.

Oh man!! I give up. I've had it.

Ishan, KPzen, others, you are all wrong. Guys, no more Yokohama/Michelin for us enthusiasts. Only JK!

PS: I dont think it's too hard to figure out which company has sponsored this feature in this rag.

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 2nd June 2009 at 13:30.
Nikhilb2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 13:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sure.
Those JK Tornados on the swifts are real high performance.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 13:44   #3
BHPian

Another one added to the seemingly unstoppable list of blunders of the Indian 'Automobile Journalism' industry.

Chances are they have never ever sampled one of the finer specimens of rubber from the stables of Yokohama and Michelin. And to add to this, I have to try really hard [still trying] to dismiss all this JK glorification as genuine results and not a part of a arranged deal.

@ Nikhil- I don't buy Autobild and don't want to, if possible so can you briefly let us in on what scientific/unscientific tests did they use to arrive at their brilliant, seemingly unbiased conclusion?
doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 13:46   #4
Team-BHP Support

Nikhil,

Forget those ER60s we talked about. I'll now be coming to your shop for JK Tornados on ultra-performance steel wheels.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 13:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
Another one added to the seemingly unstoppable list of blunders of the Indian 'Automobile Journalism' industry.
This is sad, but it works! There are a very few who go indepth to find out the right tyre or upsize (they will be ushered to T-Bhp by google ). The majority will read such 'sponsored' content and go buy a 'performance' tyre.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 14:00   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Nikhil,

Forget those ER60s we talked about. I'll now be coming to your shop for JK Tornados on ultra-performance steel wheels.
Hehe. I guess so.

@doomasday --- There were NO scientific tests whatsoever. You've seen any mag's car buying guide right? This is something like that. But at least they do make an attempt to review cars. Not tyres.
Nikhilb2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 14:09   #7
Team-BHP Support

Yes I'm already running the sporty MRF ZVTS on my alto. No wonder the handling is so good.

Thank god I didn't upgrade to those crappy Michelins.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 14:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Hehe. I guess so.

@doomsday --- There were NO scientific tests whatsoever. You've seen any mag's car buying guide right? This is something like that. But at least they do make an attempt to review cars. Not tyres.
Oh.. Sheesh. What a blunder!!! I thought they would have used a VBox and done some logical testing. Wishful thinking I guess. I'm sure most of the Autobild India crew even know what a skidpad test is- otherwise they would have used that rather than adding useless sponsored info which the unsuspecting readers would buy at face value since they're no experts themselves.

I am constantly saddened at the melee of gargantuan errors of this industry. It looks like they've indeed given up on all their commitments to their end consumer- the reader and have made advertisers their end consumer.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics is STRICTLY prohibited.

Last edited by ported_head : 2nd June 2009 at 14:41. Reason: Please see note above
doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 14:13   #9
BHPian

This is the sad part of auto industry in India. In fact, it is the same with many other such nascent industries in India. Someone with good speaking ability needs to stand up and over night can become an expert. Sad.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 15:30   #10
BHPian

Maybe JK took the magazine team out to coffee and gave them toffees to write goody goody things about them.
toiingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 15:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

JK 'Tornado' sounds cool, need to try them out!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 15:58   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

@tolingg: I fully agree with you. Maybe "loaded" hampers as well.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 16:05   #13
BHPian

Oh Man, if only I had known sooner.
I'd have kept my MRF Zvts, which lasted 28k kms and used scream in protest (err... sing along with the car) when I took a turn with too much "enthu"

I sold the brand new JK "performance" tyres which came with the swift.
Reason: it was giving so much performance and grip I couldn't drive the car
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 16:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@tolingg: I fully agree with you. Maybe "loaded" hampers as well.
Ofcourse! Welcome to the world of sponsored journalism. Why else do you think someone would rate a Michelin lower to some JK. Same with most awards. Remeber the U-VA? Best hatch award, within 3 weeks of launch
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 16:32   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm not surprised....remember reading something as absurd as the 1.2L i20 being quicker (or was it more fuel efficient) than the Swift as well.

A look at their flawed points system (German Mag "AutoBild" all set to hit India) :

Quote:
I thought I'd read a comparo-report by Auto Bild over lunch....what a royal farce it turned out to be. Utterly disappointing. Their Accord vs Camry vs Passat review:

- Praises showered big time on the VW Passats engine. Not even a mere mention of its annoying turbolag, which can be a pain in the city.

- According to Auto Bild, the Accords engine has been "updated and now produces upto 160 BHP." Huh?

- For all their talk of a uniquely decisive points system, the Accord gets equal points on equipment as the Passat & Camry. This is despite the fact that the Accord does NOT offer traction control, xenon lights, or even a tripmeter. The Passat on the other hand does offer electric blinds, a sunroof and more. But still, all three get the same points.

- The Accord is fastest in the 0 - 60, or 80, or 100 or 160. Their own times say so. But it receives lower marks in "acceleration" compared to the other two. Go figure!

- The Camry has good torque delivery at lower rpms, and offers superb urban driveability. This is a known fact. In their words, the Camrys engine : "with a strong bottom and good torque characteristics.....". The turbo-lagged Passat still gets an equal amount of points for driveability as the Camry. Surprisingly, the Accord with its high revving torque@max rpm engine gets full marks for driveability.

- According to Auto Bild, the Camry will retain as much of its resale value (in %) as the Accord. This is despite the Accord being locally built, and the Camry an overpriced CBU.

- According to their report, the Passat has the widest turning circle. But gets better marks for "steering element/turning circle" anyways.

- Statement of the month "It seems less spacious but the Passat cabins rear is quite roomy." Go figure!

Voila! The Passat wins this slugfest. This is yet another misleading car report that is (unfortunately) making its way toward the Indian reader. Reading the review makes you feel like it was done for the heck of it, in a hurry and only to checkmark something off a to-do list. The Indian car mag scenario is getting densely populated; unless newcomers do a fantastic job (read, better than market leaders ACI & OD), they are going to fade away.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote