Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2012, 12:47   #436
BHPian
 
accentgiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 60
Thanked: 18 Times
Default re: Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I have gone for stock size updation only..
Please find the images of my car tires captured just now with my mobile phone uploaded

Let me leave it to the experts opinion for my car offering good mileage, I am sure I haven't made any changes other than replacing the tyres with new ones (that too stock size)
Attached Images
  

Last edited by accentgiri : 21st September 2012 at 12:51.
accentgiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 13:38   #437
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hemanth.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,159
Thanked: 5,933 Times
Default re: Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by accentgiri View Post
I am sure I haven't made any changes other than replacing the tyres with new ones (that too stock size)
"Kitna deti hai?" is easy to answer, "Itna kaise deti hai?" is difficult to answer
  • Road condition
  • Driving
  • Traffic on the day of recording
  • Tyre pressure
  • Fuel quality
  • Load in the vehicle
The good FE you are getting may not be entirely because of the tyres, but a combination of all the above factors.
So just enjoy the 20+ kmpl that you are getting and answer anybody who asks "Kitna deti hai?" with your chest raised
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 01:26   #438
BHPian
 
namit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 392
Thanked: 49 Times
Default re: Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

thanks Akshay ! i got Michellin XM2 185/60/r14 fitted in my Punto and used it over 3000 kms so far and its a fantastic ride yet again.

i think what went wrong earlier was the tyre upgrade was not right / not within the specified upgrade of less than 2 and the hard ribber of ER60s
namit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 09:19   #439
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 197
Thanked: 108 Times
Default re: Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Guys,
If you can help me out i'd be insanely grateful.
I ve been reading this thread and other threads for the upsizing of tyres and alloys and i have my own set of apprehensions.

I own a punto emotion which came with JK tornadoes 165 R14. Its done almost 45k on the ODO and i am running a risk of using it more. So i need to change the shoes and also am a lil tight on the wallet. So

1. I would like to upsize definitely to 195 R14.

2. If i upsize, options would probably be ZLO, XM2 and A drives in the same priority with ZLO's still being debated for the water channeling problem albeit i saw Nikhils post on MRF's response.

3. I am tempted here. I have a liking towards R15. The car looks more taller and more stable. Since i am a lil tight on the budget i have decided to go in for R15 Rims for time being.

4. Is it good to go for the R15 rims. How long can i take the rims for a ride. Is it better to go for any linea stock rims?

5. Is it really worth the go .. the R15's.

6. I saw someone selling their Linea R15 alloys. Is it good to go for a used up alloy?

If some one could answer my 5th question, that would put an end to the R15 temptation !

Thank you !
Rubbertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 09:33   #440
BHPian
 
Rufus_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 103
Thanked: 34 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
Guys,
If you can help me out i'd be insanely grateful.
I ve been reading this thread and other threads for the upsizing of tyres and alloys and i have my own set of apprehensions.

I own a punto emotion which came with JK tornadoes 165 R14. Its done almost 45k on the ODO and i am running a risk of using it more. So i need to change the shoes and also am a lil tight on the wallet. So

1. I would like to upsize definitely to 195 R14.

2. If i upsize, options would probably be ZLO, XM2 and A drives in the same priority with ZLO's still being debated for the water channeling problem albeit i saw Nikhils post on MRF's response.

3. I am tempted here. I have a liking towards R15. The car looks more taller and more stable. Since i am a lil tight on the budget i have decided to go in for R15 Rims for time being.

4. Is it good to go for the R15 rims. How long can i take the rims for a ride. Is it better to go for any linea stock rims?

5. Is it really worth the go .. the R15's.

6. I saw someone selling their Linea R15 alloys. Is it good to go for a used up alloy?

If some one could answer my 5th question, that would put an end to the R15 temptation !

Thank you !
Hi,
If you're planning for an upsize, please go for 195/60/R15. It's the stock size of Punto Emotion(previous Emotion Pack). If you are tight on budget you can certainly go for the stock rims. They aren't expensive & the black rims do look good.

Do not buy used up alloys. You can use the stock rims until you've saved sufficient vitamin M & then buy alloys. But the OEM alloys supplied by Fiat arent known for their strength & you've got to be careful while taking sudden potholes. I've already bent two of them & they sure cause a huge dent to the pocket :-(. Aftermarket alloys would also be a good option.
Rufus_M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 21:09   #441
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 197
Thanked: 108 Times
Default re: Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-wp_000024.jpg


There appears to be a bend in my steel rim when i went in for a puncture. Will it cause a difference in any form be it steering wobble or stuff like that. Can this be repaired?
Rubbertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 21:27   #442
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,668 Times
Default re: Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
Attachment 1036058


There appears to be a bend in my steel rim when i went in for a puncture. Will it cause a difference in any form be it steering wobble or stuff like that. Can this be repaired?
It can be repaired, please try and do it as soon as possible. This is dangerous since there is a chance of air leaking out of the tyre.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 21:27   #443
Senior - BHPian
 
Schoudhury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Blore/Dallas-TX
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 470 Times
Default re: Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
Attachment 1036058


There appears to be a bend in my steel rim when i went in for a puncture. Will it cause a difference in any form be it steering wobble or stuff like that. Can this be repaired?
Oh yes, it might cause some balancing problem along with tyre pressure loss.
It can be repaired easily and you can swap the same with the rim used in the stepney tyre .

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 22:17   #444
BHPian
 
accentgiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 60
Thanked: 18 Times
Default re: Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
Attachment 1036058


There appears to be a bend in my steel rim when i went in for a puncture. Will it cause a difference in any form be it steering wobble or stuff like that. Can this be repaired?
At Salem I have seen a wheel bending rectifying machine available in a Wheel alignment center " Star Tyres" exactly opposite to "Central Tyres - Bridgestone Dealer" on Salem National Highway Byepass....
Hope the same will be available at Mumbai too in some tyre center... kindly check up. Until then use the wheel as a spare one with tube, so that you will not have any air loss
accentgiri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 21:12   #445
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,726
Thanked: 823 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

I can't really hold my excitement - the first car entirely driven by me to reach this milestone: 77777kms. It took my Punto 1.3 E exactly 10 days, 2 months and 3 years to reach here.

Fiat Punto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_1023.jpg

My Punto's bigger cousin - our Innova crossed a lakh kms last week - but her majesty took a good 7 years to reach the lakh mark. The little cousin did the 77777kms feat in three years.

I need to change her shoes shortly - her second shoe change (third set of tryes to come soon). Any suggestions? I am not looking a performance - but at life. The car does about 90kms per day - about 50 in horrible city traffic, and the rest through NICE road (Bangalore). So a mix of ride quality and long life is what I am looking at.

She is currently shod with 175/70R14 Bridgestone tyres - I plan to upsize to 185 this time - and looking at MRF ZLO. Any pointers?
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 22:19   #446
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,429 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
...She is currently shod with 175/70R14 Bridgestone tyres - I plan to upsize to 185 this time - and looking at MRF ZLO. Any pointers?
I am infact about to purchase ZLO for my Swift D too. The reviews say good grip levels & comfort, but high road noise at highway speeds. Michelin looks like the best bet among ride quality + low tyre noise. But too much of premium.

The life of tyres are almost similar, the max you can extract out of it by rotating it properly every 5K kms. To refer, my Potenza GIIIs lasted a cool 55K kms (front) and rear ones are almost 81,000 kms now! Car was driven till 50,000 kms in Bangalore with whole lot of highway trips.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 20:54   #447
BHPian
 
hiren.mistry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bombay, London
Posts: 913
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post

She is currently shod with 175/70R14 Bridgestone tyres - I plan to upsize to 185 this time - and looking at MRF ZLO. Any pointers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I am infact about to purchase ZLO for my Swift D too. The reviews say good grip levels & comfort, but high road noise at highway speeds. Michelin looks like the best bet among ride quality + low tyre noise. But too much of premium.
Congrats binaiks on those kms!!
I would strongly recommend Yokohama C-Drives to both of you. I have them on my car and they're wonderful.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 20:56   #448
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,429 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Congrats binaiks on those kms!!
I would strongly recommend Yokohama C-Drives to both of you. I have them on my car and they're wonderful.
Do you have a small review of those tyres? Would love to read thru.

Edit:: Problem # 1: C-Drives are NOT available on 185/70 R14!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th February 2013 at 21:07. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 22:12   #449
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 243
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Do you have a small review of those tyres? Would love to read thru.

Edit:: Problem # 1: C-Drives are NOT available on 185/70 R14!
Hi ,

You could buy the yoko A drives. I have used them on my ritz for 25k km now. 185/70/R14.

Brilliant tyres, road noise is very less, grip in fantastic and ride quality there is no need for me to tell anything about it, awesome is the right word. I have driven a lot on highways and city.

my usage is 70% city and 30% highway. I rotate the tyre every 9k kms and i think looking at the amount of thread left on my tyres i can use them easily for another 25k kms without any doubt. They are still brand new after every wash !!

The FE on my car is between 19 to 21km/litre now.

Cheers

Last edited by Crazy4.Cars : 4th February 2013 at 22:13.
Crazy4.Cars is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 22:50   #450
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,429 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
Hi ,

You could buy the yoko A drives. I have used them on my ritz for 25k km now. 185/70/R14.

Brilliant tyres, road noise is very less, grip in fantastic and ride quality there is no need for me to tell anything about it, awesome is the right word. I have driven a lot on highways and city....

Cheers
I had checked A Dives. What I was told is that I might get a 30K kms or so in my native roads. If the dealers say 30K, it might as well wear out at 25K. I was put off by this, plus the Z.L.O quotes are a good Rs. 400/- per tyre lesser. Even if I manage a 30K on this, I still think it's worth.

More than this, I want to try Z.L.Os because of all these positive reviews.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread Screwdriva Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 333 25th November 2017 20:12
Fiat Linea : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread vancity Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 235 8th June 2017 16:13
Toyota Etios & Liva : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread nkrishnap Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 60 8th May 2017 09:17
Fiat Palio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread shahmotors Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 637 26th March 2017 12:56
Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread jkdas Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 10 29th August 2016 17:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks