Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 26th August 2009, 23:14   #1
Default Ford Fiesta Tyre upgrade - Jiggy wid it!

Getting new boots for your car is a brain racker of sorts, and you have to do your research prior to the purchase.

I was very unhappy with the MRF tires provided by Ford India on the Fiesta. Such a good car definitely deserves something better. The default tires make it look as if the car's got polio.

Anyway, I was just waiting for the tread to wear down, and when it did- rushed to the nearest store to check out the options available..

Hmm.. so I went into the store, and had six people rushing in from all over - one with a chair, another with a brochure, another with a grin on his face, one with an A/C remote, one with a glass of water.. and finally - one with a tyre! (actually that last chap was on his way OUT!)

Settling down on the musty - dusty sofa, I saw the water bearer drift off, the grinner was still there looking over me like a farmer at his cow.. so I tried to concentrate very hard on the brochure in my hand, which said Michelin was giving away a bag with every set of 4 tires.

4 minutes passed, and finally I glanced up to see the grinner standing with a half-grin. I told him I wanted new boots for my car, and wanted an upsize. Apollo, Yokohama, Michelin and Bridgestone came to the chaps tongue quite fast, so I ventured to ask him to let me into the stock room to see the tires for myself.

Went in to the room full of tires, and saw a multitude of zig zags and patterns on black rubber everywhere. I had , in my mind-only considered Michelin, Bridgestone and Yoko's , so had to check out just ONE giant rack full of tires.

Yokos seemed nice, loved the tread, but no.. bridgestones were bullet proof, but.. no.. went ahead, and saw one interesting set that seemed to be tough , and had a nice tread.. Turned it to the side, and saw BF Goodrich as the brand.

Now, I did some reading on team-bhp prior to my tire house trip, and Not much literature on BF goodrich... so was a little skeptical, but being the risk taker, I made up my mind - ordered 5 195/60 's and scooted out.

Life since then has been marvellous... the roads dont trouble me anymore, neither do the road humps. Wider tires, and the dimensions have got rid of the 'polio' look of my car, Now the car finally seems to have got what it deserved.
ascertain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 23:25   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Your post makes for a lovely read! And the BFG GForce sports are pretty good tyres. You just need to live with the tyre noise. Congrats! Now you can do justice to that awesome chassis-suspension combination!

You chose well!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 23:45   #3

@ascertain: Which one of the two Fiestas do you drive - the petrol one or the diesel?
oss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 00:05   #4
Infractions: 0/1 (10)

. Congrats on the buy. How about an extensive review of the BF's. And Ofcourse pics of the ride with the new boots.

bharti22shresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:35   #5

I searched and never came up with anything , but is there like a PDI Check for Tires that can be done.
There is no way for us to check if the tires are new , I think.
RP_812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ascertain, congrats on the new shoes, have fun!
Originally Posted by RP_812 View Post
There is no way for us to check if the tires are new , I think.
Each manufacturer has their set of codes imprinted on the tyre which indicates the month & year of manufacture. That's about the closest you can get I suppose.

Last edited by suman : 23rd September 2009 at 15:39.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote