Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 31st August 2009, 18:22   #1
BHPian

Smile Bridgestone Potenza RE88 or Michelin Primacy LC

Guys,

Picking up my new Cedia Sports tomorrow, it has factory fitted Bridgestone Potenza RE88. Being a Michelin fan I am drawn towards Primacy LC.

I request you all for advice whether it is worth changing to Pimacy LC or to continue with Potenzas. Thanks.

Tyre size: 195/65 R-15
rishi_kapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 18:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

This is a no brainer. Michelin wins hands down anyday.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 18:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
This is a no brainer. Michelin wins hands down anyday.
Thanks Nishant, I am looking for experts' advice on advantages and any info that I may be missing.
Old 31st August 2009, 18:54   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

No brainer! It's like asking, "what do you want? Ferrari or Maruti?"!!

Primacy LC is quieter, brakes better, is more comfortable. Grip is more or less equal with RE 88.

However, given the fact that you are going for a Cedia, I would recommend a Continental CPC2 at the very least or if you can afford it, a Michelin PP2.

Both these tyres will grip very well which you need given the fact that the Cedia is a fantastic driver's car. CPC2 is cheaper but doesnt grip as well as the PP2. The PP2 is quite a bit more expensive, but it's one of the best tyres available in the market as of now.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 19:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
No brainer! It's like asking, "what do you want? Ferrari or Maruti?"!!

Primacy LC is quieter, brakes better, is more comfortable. Grip is more or less equal with RE 88.

However, given the fact that you are going for a Cedia, I would recommend a Continental CPC2 at the very least or if you can afford it, a Michelin PP2.

Both these tyres will grip very well which you need given the fact that the Cedia is a fantastic driver's car. CPC2 is cheaper but doesnt grip as well as the PP2. The PP2 is quite a bit more expensive, but it's one of the best tyres available in the market as of now.
Thanks Nikhil, PP2 is not available in 195/60 R15 profile and I dont want to change the profile or original OZ alloys. By the way, the car is for my wife, I am very happy with Invex till I upgrade to Outlander
Old 31st August 2009, 19:59   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Aaah. My bad! I would still suggest you upsize to the PP2.

However, seeing that this car is going to be for your wife, then the Primacy LC is a wonderful choice! But when you do drive it, dont expect too much grip from the tyres!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 21:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

I am using Michelin Primacy LC 195/60 R15 on my Elantra and i am very happy and satisfied with the comfort and noise levels so far..
undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 21:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Rishi,
I assume the Cedia comes with 195/60/R15 and not the 65 profile as mentioned in your 1st post.

In that case you can upsize to 205/55/R15, since both have 88 profile. And the PP2s are the best here!
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 21:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

You can use 205/60 R15 PP2. I've been using the same for a couple of years. No scraping problems or anything. Fills the wheel well a bit more and hence the car looks nicer too.

The grip is way way better than RE88, way less road noise and surprisingly much better ride quality. Try PP2, you'd not be disappointed.

@Fountainheader: 88 is the load index. Anything higher will do as well.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 31st August 2009 at 21:59.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 11:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Aaah. My bad! I would still suggest you upsize to the PP2.

However, seeing that this car is going to be for your wife, then the Primacy LC is a wonderful choice! But when you do drive it, dont expect too much grip from the tyres!
I would second that. I changed from Bridgestone Potenzas to Michelin Primacy LC on my Corolla recently and I have to say the noise levels are much much lower,and comfort has increased manifolds. But at high speeds ( above 140 kmph )the grip does not inspire too much confidence. This is a combination effect of Corolla also, so, may not be entirely Tyre's fault. Cedia should definitely be better. Around 120 kmph, it is much much better than Bridgestone. So make your choice based on the driving habits., Wifey driving, not beyond 100-120 kmph, Michelin Primacy LC will be a good choice.

Nainar
anainar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 15:21   #11
BHPian

Hi guys,

I drive a Magnum Diesel - which I am surely most of you would agree is an outright driver's car. Now the stock tyres are GT3 (don't want to debate on them at all!!!) I have front two tyres as RE 88 and rear two as GT3s (OE). Now I am thinking of buying two new tyres and put them in the front.

Although your arguments above would convince me that Michelin Primacy LC could be the best choice but if I were to say that I do a lot of weekend getaways wher the roads are not the best at times, wouldn't Michelines with a softer compund (in my opinion ) be inferior to the harder Bridgestones.

I would prefer a tyre with decent grip and little tyre noise - basically it would be Micheline Primacy LC or RE 88 as I have geard g3s being unidirectional may be pose problems while rotating and also on tyre noise
ferrari_driver is offline   Reply With Quote