Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 2nd September 2009, 23:26   #1
BHPian

Default Wanted - Wheel & Tyre set for BMW E90 320d - 17" or 18"

Hi,

I am looking for a set of 4 wheels & tyres for the 2009 E90 320d.

ideally a 5 or 6 single or twin spoke design.
17" or 18" wheels
Preferably - Run Flat Tyres

Tyre Sizes:
17" - 225/45
18" - 225/40

i would also like to be able to continue using the tpms (tyre pressure monitoring system) that the car comes with. does anybody have any ideas on how to do this?
BikerSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 01:03   #2
BHPian

The ride with the stock 16 inch wheels on the 320d is quite harsh.
Are you sure you want to upgrade to 17/ 18 inchers ?

If so, try among the several tyre wheel/dealers.

You can also try with KUN BMW; they sent me their accessories brochure recently and has a decent selection of bigger wheels too !!
ecclipse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:29   #3
Team-BHP Support

If I am right the TPMS will continue to work as it senses differential circumferences based on wheel speed as opposed to actual wheel pressure (at least in the skoda!)
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:49   #4
BHPian

hi ajmat - i thought the tpms works with sensors on the valves of each tyre. i think i'll have to look at the owners manual or the bimmerpost for more info on this.

the ride with 16" run flats is quite hard. i am looking to upgrade to 17s or 18s and use non-run flats, so that the ride doesnt get any harder.

i have contacted BMW dealer in chennai. they re yet to get back to me on availability & pricing. but i got prices of 3 models from them and they are all above 3.5Lakhs for the wheel & tyre set. a bit expensive for me right now.

thats why am looking at aftermarket wheels.
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclipse78 View Post
The ride with the stock 16 inch wheels on the 320d is quite harsh.
Are you sure you want to upgrade to 17/ 18 inchers ?

If so, try among the several tyre wheel/dealers.

You can also try with KUN BMW; they sent me their accessories brochure recently and has a decent selection of bigger wheels too !!
can you PM me the contact details of the dealers in Chennai?
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure about the run flats?

IMHO, tubeless would be less worrying. A friend has changed 3 tyres already on his 530D. Now the car runs on tubeless.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 11:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

I agree. RFTs should be exchanged for regular tubeless at the time of vehicle delivery.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:20   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSG View Post
hi ajmat - i thought the tpms works with sensors on the valves of each tyre. i think i'll have to look at the owners manual or the bimmerpost for more info on this.
At least on M5's it is based onthe ABS. more here
Old 3rd September 2009, 13:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I agree. RFTs should be exchanged for regular tubeless at the time of vehicle delivery.
I've never heard this before. Can you explain why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Are you sure about the run flats?

IMHO, tubeless would be less worrying. A friend has changed 3 tyres already on his 530D. Now the car runs on tubeless.
runflats are also tubeless tyres.

its a question of runflats versus non-runflats (or regular tubeless tyres). runflats allow you to drive the car at a specified max speed for a specified distance. usually around 50kmph for 80kms. i can only think of this as a good thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
At least on M5's it is based onthe ABS. more here
i was wondering why the tyre pressure should be 'set' on the idrive. now it makes sense.

thanks ajmat.

Last edited by GTO : 4th September 2009 at 13:34. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:01   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSG View Post
i was wondering why the tyre pressure should be 'set' on the idrive. now it makes sense.

thanks ajmat.
When you set it, it gets a reference point to work with. Some folks might want to drive with 40psi, some with 20 psi. If it was fixed sensors, you are stuck with settings of the manufacturers choice
Old 3rd September 2009, 20:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

well i had 5 nails on my car's tubeless tire and they were due to be replaced soon.so i ran them for 2 months without getting the puncture repaired and only topping up the air once in 4-5 days.mind you only city driving.

and then i got them replaced.

Another issue is that the tubeless tires are far cheaper than the similarly sized run-flats.

moreover you can get a tubeless tire's puncture repaired but you cannot get a runflat tire repaired.its only replaced and this gets to be pretty expensive.I hope i'm not wrong here.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 13:35   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

BikerSG, whatever the size, you'd do well in choosing regular tubeless over runflats. They are slowly losing popularity worldwide.

A related post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I've never been a fan of runflats. And if & when I ever buy a BMW in India, the tyres will be changed to regular straight at the showroom itself.

Firstly, BMWs are anyways tuned for handling over comfort. And the runflats, with their stiffer compound & poorer sidewall flex, firm the ride up even more. I was shocked when I drove the new 7 series for the first time. The difference in comfort - to the S Class - was glaringly obvious.

Second, even if a car is equipped with runflats, why the heck won't they provide a spare? If I'm mid-way to Goa (300 kms either way to the nearest BMW dealer) and damage my runflat tyre, what the hell do I do?

Not to mention, the cost of replacement. I remember Sahil posting it cost him 20 - 22K for a new tyre! Even if there is a BMW dealer 50 kms away, and I drive to his shop, the runflat is entirely damaged with that drive. Thus, I have to shell out 20,000 for a new tyre?! I'd much rather switch to a spare which doesn't take more than 15 minutes.

Runflats are more a stop-gap to something better. No thanks for the moment, regular tyres have served me just fine. Good move in dropping 'em, Honda!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 21:17   #13

Default Need Help BMW alloys and Shipping Queries

Hello members,

Need help in choosing a right set of wheels for the E90 320d. Found a good deal on M (style 441) 18” wheels+tires which are from a F30.

The measurements are as follows:
Front rim: 8J x 18 H2 ET: 34 (225/45/18)
Rear rim: 8.5J x 18 ET: 47 (255/40/18)

The question I have is does this type of setup fit the E90? Would 18” be overkill for the Indian roads? The model we have is a dynamic and the stock wheels doesn’t match the looks of the bimmer.

The other question is, these wheels are in USA and I am travelling to India soon, would it be advisable to get them in place of check-in luggage? (I would be travelling by emirates) Or the Usps would be a better option? If yes what would be the customs duty I would be looking at?
ldk2 is offline   Reply With Quote