Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 9th December 2014, 23:31   #121

Default re: Yokohama AVS dB (decibel) tires

I've been using the AVS db on my c class (w203) for the last 2 years. Very impressed by the comfort and low noise levels. It was a noticeable change over the Goodyears the car had come with. However the sidewall is very soft. I brushed against a manhole that was protruding in the middle of the road and the sidewall got ripped real badly and had to replace the tyre.
AmGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2014, 11:32   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Have been thrashing my set on every sort of terrain and they have come out surprisingly good, no bulging/ damage noticed till now. Nearing 30k kms.

There was one drive where I was thought the tyre will defenitly get damaged - where we decided to ignore speed breakers on a 2-lane highway while taking it on at 80kmph. Yet they survived! Similar experience with fellow member autocrat with his linea MJD.

No harm in being careful, however I dont think you need to be apprehensive.
Update-

Done approximately 33k kms. The tyres have become rock hard recently, and also seems to have lost the 'silence' advantage over competition. I'm not worried about the NVH, but the ride quality has really pissed me off. I won't be buying these tyres for the next change.

Not sure why the tyres went from soft and plush to rock hard (No. It's not due to air pressure). Recently I am forced to park in the open during daytime. Wondering if the heat has something to do with this!

On the plus side- No punctures, deformations or side walls cuts till date.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 12:03   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Update-

Done approximately 33k kms. The tyres have become rock hard recently, and also seems to have lost the 'silence' advantage over competition. I'm not worried about the NVH, but the ride quality has really pissed me off. I won't be buying these tyres for the next change.

Not sure why the tyres went from soft and plush to rock hard (No. It's not due to air pressure). Recently I am forced to park in the open during daytime. Wondering if the heat has something to do with this!

On the plus side- No punctures, deformations or side walls cuts till date.
Don't think its the heat. I am facing the same problem with my Michelin PS3s. The rubber was very supple and delivered superb ride quality for the first 23,000 kms. But in the past 2,000 or so kms the rubber has hardened quite a lot. As a result the ride has gone for a toss, not to mention the increased noise. The tread is deep enough for the tyre to last another 5,000 kms. I'll have to put up with the hard ride for another 5,000 kms or bite the bullet and replace the tyres, which are damn expensive.

I guess this is a pretty standard phenomenon with tyres as they near the end of their service life.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 01:24   #124
BHPian

Does anyone know a decent tire shop in Bangalore where I can find AVS DBs? I'm planning on getting them for our 2004 Corolla. The OEM Potenzas RE88s are not great at anything in particular, though they aren't too noisy. Considering the car is driven almost exclusively within the city, softer sidewalls and a quiet ride are top on our priority list.
Hoping I can get 5 tyres for 25k.
amartyasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2015, 11:44   #125
BHPian

Default Re: Yokohama AVS dB (decibel) tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartyasg View Post
Does anyone know a decent tire shop in Bangalore where I can find AVS DBs? I'm planning on getting them for our 2004 Corolla. The OEM Potenzas RE88s are not great at anything in particular, though they aren't too noisy. Considering the car is driven almost exclusively within the city, softer sidewalls and a quiet ride are top on our priority list.
Hoping I can get 5 tyres for 25k.

Hi, You can check at Millivision Marketing near Lalbagh, Bangalore. They are the exclusive dealers of Yokohama tyres. For my Punto (195/60 R15) it costed me 20700 for 4 tyres a year back. Not sure about the present cost.

Last edited by srivatsahg : 22nd June 2015 at 11:45. Reason: information on number of tyres included
srivatsahg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2015, 13:05   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivatsahg View Post
Hi, You can check at Millivision Marketing near Lalbagh, Bangalore. They are the exclusive dealers of Yokohama tyres. For my Punto (195/60 R15) it costed me 20700 for 4 tyres a year back. Not sure about the present cost.
I got the tyres installed through a known source on Saturday. It worked out around 30,500 for 5. So far initial impressions are quite good. The ride has a slightly softer, smoother edge than the stock Potenza RE88. Haven't really driven on a highway to check for noise, but on concrete surfaces, its noticably quieter. Also, the tread is quite deep, so wet weather grip should be good.
amartyasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 20:00   #127
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore is very expensive. I am getting the same tires in the same size for 4950/- each here in Dilli.

I already have these on my ride and am looking to replace them. These are pretty quiet on concrete roads with some noise on tarred roads depending on how the top surface is finished.

The only negative is that these are unidirectional tires and if mounted incorrectly will self destruct very quickly. Trust these are mounted in the correct rotation of direction in your ride.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 14:09   #128

Hello guys,

I replaced my Swift's(Zxi) tyre from MRF ZVTV(185/65/R15) to Yokohoma AVS DB - V550(195/60/R15) yesterday and here's my initial impressions:

Ride quality has improved noticeably.Road grip is very good now.

Just went out for a small test drive on the NICE road and I am still able to hear the tyre noise. Is it because of the fact that the tyre is new and would it reduce after some initial run-in? Has anyone faced the same issue?
500HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 11:04   #129
BHPian

I know I'm resurrecting a thread that's more than a year old.
Way back in April 2011 I bought an SX4Zxi. Replaced the original JK 205/60/16 that came on it immediately on purchase of the car, with Yokohama ES501 Db tyres of the same size.
I have , just last week, replaced the tyres after 54500 km running. a couple of the tyres still had a bit of tread left above the indicator, but considering the length of time, and since I had a long trip out of state coming up I decided to replace them.

Over these few years I have religiously rotated them every 5000 km. Front to back only, as they are directional tyres, along with balancing and alignment also each time. Used nitrogen almost throughout. I had maybe three or four punctures, nothing too bad, and was able to notice them in time.

These tyres are highly recommended, the noise was non-existent and the ride was superb. However there wasn't any dealer offering them in Goa this time, and I chose Michelin Primacy 3ST, made in Thailand. When it comes to tyres I don't believe in stinting, and also I plan to keep the car for another few years!
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote