Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 3rd October 2009, 21:59   #16
BHPian

Am eagerly awaiting the rest in this series.
sachinayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 00:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

nice writeup. I guess when finished, this thread may deserve to be parked as a DIY guide.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 01:04   #18
BHPian

Default Day 3 (Dasara, Monday, 28-Sep-2009):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
To be continued...
Continuing from there:

Day 3 (Dasara, Monday, 28-Sep-2009):

Last day of the long weekend and I need to finish it off today (tyres can come later). Wake up with the sound of the doorbell as the maid came. She was taken aback seeing these huge wheels in the living room. Wonder what she thought. She sure has seen some pretty strange things lying around the house as I go about my DIY stuff.

Fortunately the putty had dried (decently) hard. Now time to attack it with emery paper. Maid looks surprised again as she goes about sweeping and I am rolling the tyres into the bathroom.

Fold and tear the emery paper (started with 1000 grit directly). (Tip: Must never cut emery/sand paper with your home scissors as the leading edge of the scissors gets blunt/scratched in the process). Wet the wheel and paper and start off. Again (as usual) is harder than I expected.

Pic: Sanding down excess dried putty with wet 1000 grit WaterProof Emery Paper

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-p1110254.jpg

The putty is tough now and all the extra amount I had put is now harder to remove! Sigh!

Pic: Sigh! Why did I have to apply so much? It's so hard to level it down! Areas filled in scratches around the edge of the rim were especially tricky!

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-p1110255.jpg

For a short time take the 400 and try. But I prefer the feel of the 1000, even tho’ it takes longer. At a small crack, aggressive sanding lead to the putty patch coming off. Didn’t bother, couldn’t wait another day for a new layer to dry. It is a small scratch anyway.

Soon realised a good combination of touch and sight is needed to ensure it gets levelled. A good indication is when you can clearly see the edge of the erstwhile crack, now filled with light grey putty.

Another thing that required skill was scratches on the edge. Since these were not on a flat surface, had to sand it down to match the shape of the curve. Took some practice, soon could manage it.

This time the bathroom (and me) again got fully white/grey, because of the putty dust. Washed the wheel clean and up it went on the terrace, to dry in the sun.

Pic: Levelled down and drying up in the late morning sun. (See how the scratches are filled in with putty now)

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-p1110257.jpg

For the next wheel realised that just moistening the emery paper was more effective than wetting the whole wheel and paper. Just a final wash in the end. Also had to clean off missed areas from the earlier day. Soon this one went on the terrace too.

At this time I realised I may need paint brushes. Sent my wife to get a couple from the nearby stationary store. She returned with two Camlin brushes, in the exact size I wanted.

Now came the part I was waiting for. The painting! Took up a lot of stuff to the terrace entry room (spray painting with all the solvent would be difficult in my apartment. Wouldn’t want fine silved dust settling on furniture or electronics). Bottles of Com-Paint, acetone solvent, paint brushes, empty (take-away food) dabbas (for paint), news paper, rag cloths etc.

Spread the newspaper, keep the wheel, dry wipe it (to take off any dust). Cover off the air nozzle, apply masking tape around the periphery of the rim and extend the coverage with news papers. Now I was ready to go.

Pic: Masking begins! Junked this step for the front wheels

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-p1110258.jpg

Somehow I felt that the (now putty-filled) cracks would need a coat first and you can’t get accurate with a spray can. So followed the instructions on the can. Shook the can wildly for some time and sprayed a little into the dabba. Dipped the fine brush and just applied over the putty areas (not very accurately tho’, had spread around a bit). Just watching the shiny metallic particle move around in the solvent was amazing. Like twinkling stars. Topped it off with the Com-Merge solvent spray.

Before I realised, the paint dried, the brush became hard and I was ready to go for the first coat of spray. Well this for one was easier than I thought. Hardly any skill required and it covers evenly.

Pic: Spray painting begins. (Yes I am not holding the can the right way)!

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-p1110259.jpg

Sprayed the entire outside of the wheel and then sprayed the Com-Merge solvent. Quick transfer the wheel outside onto the terrace into the sun to dry quickly.

Pic: One wheel dries in the sun, while another awaits it's turn to get painted.

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-p1110262.jpg

Realised that the “brushing the putty first” was not a great idea as the paint was not level there. So thought it was not a great idea to do it.

Now for the second wheel. Masked and sprayed without brushing the putty first. Turned out worse. In fact it was worse than what the other wheel was, so brushing was the way to go. Waited for the coat to dry and then applied with the brush. This time the brushed areas didn’t dry rapidly (as they were on fresh paint and not on absorbent putty). Was running out of time. Already past noon. Hence decided to help the drying process.

Pulled out the hair dryer and a long extension cord (from my 3rd floor apartment to the 4th floor terrace room) and started blow drying the paint. Worked, a few minutes later the paint was hard.

Then tried rubbing the excess (brush) paint down with the 1000 grit emery paper. Not a very good idea. The paint was dry, but not hard enough! Scrubbing with emery paper caused the paint blobs to become black (with the emery dust). Anyway, wiped it off with an acetone laden rag and blow-dried it some more.

Soon had Com-Painted (and subsequently Com-Merged) about 3 coats more. Drying in the afternoon sun between coats and finally as well. From a distance, the finish looked great, but I was not exactly satisfied with the finish. Atleast the patched up areas were exactly that... Patchy. But the satisfaction of doing it myself overrode that.

Pic: 12-14 inches away they say! Acetone, rags and Com-Merge in the background.

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-p1110260.jpg

The paint had dried hard and looked good. The colour matched well (at least silver doesn’t need much matching). And since I coated the entire wheel, shade variation was not a bother. Of course the finish was a bit coarse to touch. Needed rubbing (with rubbing compound) to level it out. Before lunch, it was time to fix them back and then do the honour for the front ones. Went down to the basement parking, compared the wheels and the painted ones looked a lot lot better.

Pic: Painted rear wheel beside the un touched front wheel awaiting its turn!

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-p1110263.jpg

Quickly fixed back the rear wheels, moved the spare and jack up front and rolled up the fronts to my flat. These wheels were less scratched than the rears and hence needed less effort.

Pic: Rear wheels fitted back, now the jack can go help the front ones!

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-p1110265.jpg

By now I had learnt the tricks of the trade and had a better process I could follow. Started with the inside of the wheels this time and then went to the outside (works better as you don’t have to wash the outside first). Tho’ these wheels were less scratched the amount of brake dust was immense (being front, atleast for the last couple of 1000 km).

Pic: Dirty, dirty, dirty front wheels insides. Brake dust, mud, cowdung and what not?

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-p1110266.jpg

By the time I was closed to finish, it was already dusk and I knew, no way am I gonna finish this work over the weekend.

Pic: Right one done, left one awaits turn. See the difference. Tired tools all over the place.

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-p1110268.jpg

At that time I also remembered I had used up close to 80%+ of the Com-Paint can (Com-Merge was not even 50% used). So If I needed to continue, I would have to get a fresh can. Called up Auto World and they said they are open for a short time (and would close if no customers turn up). Quickly finished off the washing and put the wheels to dry in the bedroom under the ceiling fan running at full blast.

Got dressed and coaxed wife to join me to JC road. Quickly rode there on wife’s scooter and these guys have kept a box of Ford Moondust Silver ready for me. I asked if I could only get Com-Paint instead of the bundled Com-Merge along with it. They said they’ll offer a rebate off Rs. 50. Decided its not worth it and I could use the Com-Merge for a lot of stuff elsewhere (good solvent). Picked up the pack and to please the wife, snacked at the (World Famous in Bangalore) Khau Galli off Sajjanrao circle and headed back.

Back home the wheels had dried under the fan, hence applied putty and let them dry overnight. This time I was a lot more careful on not going overboard with excessive putty. Anyway the cracks were a lot fewer this time.

The long weekend had come to an end and the work was not yet over! Sigh! The car was standing on a spare and a jack for a couple of days and I could do nothing about it.

To be continued...

Last edited by Glifford : 4th October 2009 at 01:07. Reason: Added a line.
Glifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 01:25   #19
BHPian

Default Day 3 & 4 (Tuesday & Wednesday, 29 & 30-Sep-2009):

Quote:
To be continued...
Continuing from there:

Day 3 (Tuesday, 29-Sep-2009):

Wake up early as the maid came in and after a quick breakfast, roll the wheels into the bathroom to begin leveling the putty. This time it was a lot easier as I had achieved some skill. Was done in under and hour!

Roll the wheels up to the terrace and let them dry in the morning sun. About an hour+ later, they had dried, so I decided to do the brush touching up. Finish that, and head to work. At work, realized how tired I was. Lack of sleep (should have listened to my wife) and the running about had taken its toll. Just wanted to head back and take a nap.

Decided to sleep early in any case. But that was not to be. A close friend of mine called from Mangalore. He was heading back that night with his wife and kid and had some excess baggage and hence needed me to come and help him at the station the next morning. I told him that my car is on the jack, but I will try to finish it off to reach the station at 07:00 AM next morning.

Get back home late and in time for dinner. After that I sit to scrape down the excess brushed paint. Realise a better option would be not to use emery paper, but just a cloth soaked in acetone. This worked like magic and the paint leveled down quickly with no black marks.

By then it was close to midnight. Rolled up the tyres to the terrace entry room. This time I only masked off the air inlet. Didnít bother masking the rest, as I had to change the tyres soon anyway.

3 coats later it was way past 01:00 AM and I rolled them back to the living room to dry overnight. Also finished the first can of Com-Paint somewhere in between and also the first can of Com-Merge in the last coat. So it was a good decision to get both.

Day 4 (Wednesday, 30-Sep-2009):

Wake up at 06:00 AM to fix the wheels and head to the station. Decide it would be great if I could blow dry the wheels before taking them down. Just plug in the hair dryer and spend some 10 minutes drying the wheels. The paint already felt hard.

Pic: Blow drying with hair dryer (in a hurry to fix it back)!

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-p1110273.jpg

Pic: Shiny front wheels ready to go down

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-p1110276.jpg

Take the wheels down with the camera as well. Quickly remove the spare and jack and the wheels go back where they came from. It was finally finished! 2 days longer than expected.

Pic: Wheel less Fusion waits for the wheel (for 2 days)!

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-p1110277.jpg

Pic: (Absolutely Virgin) Steel Spare did the duty of a second jack. Protecting its virginity with a newspaper

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-p1110279.jpg

But by the time I could finish this, I was sweating and it was already 07:05. Frantically call my friend, telling him I am just leaving for Majestic. He says, train arrived on time (07:00) and he is in the prepaid rick counter! Ouch! Apologised for the delay, but he totally understood.

Go back down and put everything back in place (Jack, spare, boot mats). This time I am even more zonked than the previous day. So catch a short 15-minute nap and head to work.

During the course of the day I retrieve the pics from the camera card. Get back home and prepare pictures for the first post!

To be ... No wait! I think it is done. Finally done!
Glifford is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 09:36   #20
BHPian

AhA!! Not even a second of your time has gone waste. Its really mind blowing finish.

Apply some tyre polish and the tyres will also start to look new.
shreyasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 10:06   #21
BHPian

awsome and profrssional DIY. Nice work and +1 for that.
MutantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 21:08   #22
BHPian

Wow !! This is too good Congrats on the job well done.. all yr hard work has paid off !!

btw.. do com paint have a clear coat option also ? to add on a layer of gloss for the deep shine ? I feel it will look even more awesome if u put on a clear coat
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 11:58   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Phew so that's how you did it, its looks great

Great DIY Glifford & boy you do have lots of patience
Technocrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 12:41   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Waiting for your step by step post....
Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Good write-up. Waiting....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Am eagerly awaiting the rest in this series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
nice writeup. I guess when finished, this thread may deserve to be parked as a DIY guide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph View Post
Step by step instructions please... this is fabulous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
Lovely job Gliffy!
And kudos to your taking pains to document each step...
Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
waiting for details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
awsome and profrssional DIY. Nice work and +1 for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Thats unbeleivable piece of work! Do share more information on the DIY.

And some pics with the wheels on the +
Thanks everyone, esp. for the patience shown! I enjoyed it a lot (not sure if my wife did tho' ) For those waiting, the rest of the posts (and details) are up. I will post a follow up consolidated post soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Holy CRAP! That's a fantastic job you've done there!

I'm usually not the DIY guy( a little too lazy), but this is fantastic! Didnt think you could get this kind of a finish irrespective of who did the job. All the more praiseworthy when it's done with your own hands.

Am eagerly waiting for the full description!
Ha ha ha! So Cr*p is your favourite word then. I shouldn't have gotten so agitated on the Assurance thread then.

Thanks for the appreciation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Awesome job done, Gliff.

Quick question though, how did you paint the center plastic hub that covers the nuts on the alloys in this particular model?
Thanks Shubh! At first I didn't. Just Mr. Muscle and Oral-B were good enough for getting them sparkingly clean (as seen in the pics posted). Scratches were minor (hardly visible from a distance).

But yesterday I was a bit dissatisfied that they still carried scratches (itchy fingers and mind syndrome). So at first touched up the scratches. Then 3 layers of Com-Paint. Seem nice now. Not significantly better than before, but yes, I had itchy fingers, and they don't itch now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Amazing job .
Your rear right tyre seems to have traveled on worse roads than others
Thanks Matt! Well I got this car used at 42,000+ km from another BHPian. Done barely 6000 odd after that. I must admit that the car (both exteriors and interiors) had been meticulously maintained. It was only the Alloys that carried such deep scars.

And yes, even bad roads generally cannot create scratches like those. They are mainly caused by brushes with the curb or rough handling during service/balancing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Nice job. Would it be wise to have a clear coat done on this for lusture ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Wow !! This is too good Congrats on the job well done.. all yr hard work has paid off !!

btw.. do com paint have a clear coat option also ? to add on a layer of gloss for the deep shine ? I feel it will look even more awesome if u put on a clear coat
Thanks Wasava & Nirmal. Was fun doing it.

Regarding the clear-coat, I guess Com-Paints are not too clear-quote friendly. At least they don't offer it in their range of products. And here is something from their FAQ Section on their website:

Quote:
Can spray lacquers be put over enamels?
Lacquers have a tendency to lift or raise some enameled surfaces. Spray lacquers will work over most baked enamels. Test carefully in an inconspicuous area before proceeding.
In fact, the finish is a bit rough / matte now. Needs to be rubbed. Not sure if I want to do it tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
AhA!! Not even a second of your time has gone waste. Its really mind blowing finish.

Apply some tyre polish and the tyres will also start to look new.

Thanks Shreyas. Actually the tyres were end of life then (one even lost shape). On Saturday got a new set (separate thread posts on that soon). So the tyres don't have to look new, because they are new! But yes, will get some tyre polish for them as well. Will look better than how they already do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Phew so that's how you did it, its looks great

Great DIY Glifford & boy you do have lots of patience
Thanks Techno. Well patience for me was a lack of choice. I had to wait for the putty and layers to dry hard before the next step. As for my wife. Well she sure has patience!! Ha ha ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Looks like a great job there!

Thats the first question that popped into my mind as well when i realised you had repainted the wheels. Will have to wait and watch i guess, and i'm sure you'll be extra careful to stay away from the curb!

Looking forward to the step-by-step with the pics!

cya
R
Thanks Rehaan.

Yes the durability of the paint is anybody's guess. I hope it lasts. Don't expect much heating tho. so that's not a problem.

My main scare is the putty (minuscule amounts nevertheless) flying off at high speeds. Let's see. Part of the calculated risk I took when staring the DIY.

That said, one part of DIY is it is a continuous learning process, so you know what not to do when fixing what's broken earlier. Add to that, you did it yourself, so you can fix it as well (for free labour value).

As for brushing the curb, well just got a set of (slightly) wider tyres (205). So the chances of curb-encounters is lower now. Add to that I will be careful too.
Old 5th October 2009, 13:36   #25
BHPian

Cool Tools, Materials, Costs etc.

Quote:
To be ... No wait! I think it is done. Finally done!
Ha ha ha! It's never finished, till it is finished they say. So some more information from my side.

Anyway, once I finished my work, before putting the tools and materials away (considering the mess I created), I put them together on the floor and took this pic:

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-p1110292.jpg

Here is what it contains (from the top to bottom)

1. Pril
2. Mr. Muscle (my chemical weapon of choice)
3. Water Proof Emery papers (400 & 1000 grit)
4. Rubber Sheet (to ensure that the wheels don't damage the bathroom floor, but it eventually happened, crack a tile).
5. Scouring Materials (Sponge, Scrubber, Well-worn-ScotchBrite)
6. Putty Knives
7. Broken Hammer Handle
8. Old Tooth Brushes (Oral-B and Colgate)
9. Take-away-food containers (to collect spray-paint for brush application)
10. Long Nose Pliers (used the nose as a blunt, roundish, scraping tool to take off the black super glue residue, not what it is intended for)
11. Asian Paints NO Metal/Wood Putty tin (Costs Rs. 47)
12. 19mm waste plywood sheets (to use as spacers, place under the jack etc.)
13. 2 boxes of Com-Paint Value Pack (not fully used).
14. Some old Acetone / NC Thinner
15. Masking Tape
16. Screw Driver
17. Fine Camlin Brushes
18. Super Long Extension Cord (to take power supply from my flat to the terrace for the Hair Dryer).
19. Waste Rags (old vests of mine)
20. News paper (for masking and to avoid paint spilling on the floor)
21. Hair Dryer

& NOT in this picture:

22. OE, compact jack
23. + type (4 sizes) Wheel Spanner (non-OE)

And here are the major (incremental, not considering what I already had) costs involved:

1. Two Value Packs of Com-Paint (includes Com-Merge): Rs. 300 x 2 = Rs. 600
2. One each sheet of Waterproof Emery Paper of 1000 and 400 grit: Rs. 10 + Rs. 10 = Rs. 20
3. One 2" Putty Knife: Rs. 5
4. One litre of Turpentine: Rs. 40 (did not use this at all)

Intangibles:

1. 3+ days of time (cannot imagine how much that will cost if I estimate based on my billing rate the company used to charge when I was a billable consultant)
2. Water (loads)
3. Electricity (small amount, major being the 2000 W hair dryer).
4. And everything else I already had in stock.

And yesterday morning I decide to wash the car (for a photo-shoot after fitting a new set of tyres) and realise that a short 20 km drive in the city (with minor drizzle) mucks up those wheels easily

Now every wash (I DIY that too, don't allow the building watchman to do it, as I am very possessive and I hardly use the car, so I wash when I need), I will have to carry a toothbrush and some Mr. Muscle. Will not spray directly on alloys as I don't wanna mess with brake lines and discs etc.

Last edited by Glifford : 5th October 2009 at 13:39. Reason: Realised I could add another smiley... hence!
Old 5th October 2009, 17:17   #26
BHPian

Quote:
And yesterday morning I decide to wash the car (for a photo-shoot after fitting a new set of tyres) and realise that a short 20 km drive in the city (with minor drizzle) mucks up those wheels easily
Ha ha ha.

Anyways nice DIY there. You truly have lots of patience.
fast_elegance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 19:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

Mast ekdum. Nicely done. I'm keeping this link. I would require this in the coming months. Thanks for sharing.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 21:49   #28
BHPian

Excellent finish. However you can try white M-Seal instead of putty as filler. It is a bit hard to apply but dries very quickly and is less prone to get dislodged during regular cleaning.
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 13:02   #29

Firstly, Wonderful job!

But, maybe this is a stupid question: Is it 'safe' to apply paint on alloys, given these metal parts attain high temperatures, specially during braking? Or is it trivial to the point it does not really matter?
saptarshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 20:50   #30
BHPian

Thanks for sharing, Glifford. Well documented, let us know how well the paint stays!
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote