Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 8th October 2009, 12:37   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Ha ha ha.

Anyways nice DIY there. You truly have lots of patience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Mast ekdum. Nicely done. I'm keeping this link. I would require this in the coming months. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks guys! Have a couple of more updates coming up. Will post when I find the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Excellent finish. However you can try white M-Seal instead of putty as filler. It is a bit hard to apply but dries very quickly and is less prone to get dislodged during regular cleaning.
Thanks Archat. Even I considered that. But there are issues.

Yes M-Seal is much much stronger than putty. But then that's its disadvantage. When set, it dries hard. And by hard, I mean hard like a rock. There is no way you can finish the surface with mere sand/emery paper! To get a smooth surface, excess has to be removed. And for M-seal you would need serious machining. A grinder or flat file would be needed with a lot of effort. And this was not something I wanted to try on these wheels. Collateral damage would be inevitable with these tools (although I have them). Hence gave it a pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saptarshi View Post
Firstly, Wonderful job!

But, maybe this is a stupid question: Is it 'safe' to apply paint on alloys, given these metal parts attain high temperatures, specially during braking? Or is it trivial to the point it does not really matter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
Thanks for sharing, Glifford. Well documented, let us know how well the paint stays!
Thanks Saptarshi and Edmund!

Saptarshi, you would be surprised to know that most OE Alloys are all painted. The ones on the Swift, Hyundais, Hondas are mostly painted (silver). Same like the one on my car. And regarding high temperatures. Well I am not sure if road cars like ours would actually heat up wheels to a large extent. Esp. when they churn the air around.

Now the question is: How good is the replacement Com-Paint I used to cover up? That is a good question, and only time would tell. Will keep you updated! Edmund look out.
Glifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 16:59   #32

Outstanding work Giffy. I am DIY guy and just loved the way you went about doing it. You have encouraged to post one of DIY jobs in such detail. Will record it next time.
Vinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 11:40   #33
JRD
BHPian

giffy... great work.. One thing i would like to add is the use of sanding blocks to the list. This will ensure that there are no flat spots especially in the tight corners when you were sanding the putty/bondo/body filler.

A very detailed and well done DIY job.
JRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 13:17   #34
BHPian

Great job glifford. nothign beats the satisfaction of a DIY.

I too have been frust looking at the scratched alloys on my lancer. however I m too lazy.
Hopefully your enthu is contageous and I will try this DIY myself.

Very well documented.
Rated 5 Star
leadf00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 23:51   #35
BHPian

hi. great work. could you please help me in locating the paint? i am unable to locate it.
S.I.N.G.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 09:39   #36
BHPian

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
hi. great work. could you please help me in locating the paint? i am unable to locate it.
Thanks!

Hey, you are in Delhi, that's where the product comes from:

Com-Paint Touchup Spray Paint, aerosol spray paint, supplier of spray paint,spray, spray paint, touchup, touch-up, aerosol spray paint manufacturers, spray paint,Touchup, Touch-up Spray, Spray Bottle, aerosol spray paint manufacturer, com-paint manuf

Office: Compaint

Dealers: Com-Paint Touchup Spray Paint, aerosol spray paint, supplier of spray paint,spray, spray paint, touchup, touch-up, aerosol spray paint manufacturers, spray paint,Touchup, Touch-up Spray, Spray Bottle, aerosol spray paint manufacturer, com-paint manuf

Last edited by Glifford : 7th November 2009 at 09:40.
Old 8th November 2009, 19:47   #37

Awesome is the only word I have Glifford! Your work and your write-up is impeccable.
Cheers,
Satyam
atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 17:22   #38
BHPian

Cool Painted the hub caps too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
Have a couple of more updates coming up. Will post when I find the time!
So it was regarding this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Quick question though, how did you paint the center plastic hub that covers the nuts on the alloys in this particular model?
Painted the hub caps too!

Well at first I decided it was not needed. Mr. Muscle and some toothbrushing had made it pretty clean. Yes, two of them were scratched, but the scratches not too deep (only visible from up close) and being metallic silver they were hardly visible.

But after I went and got the new tyres, and took it out for a photo shoot, I realised that there is a very slight colour variation between the alloy wheel and the plastic hub-cap. Ever so slight, as can be seen here.

So I had this itch. Which grew and grew and grew and I couldn't control it! And the itch soon became a keeda that made me want to repaint the caps.

Basically it was not needed. But itchy fingers have only one cure.

So started with brushing the scratches as done earlier. Then realised I would have to add a couple of coats of paint.

So used thick masking tape to mask off the central blue Ford oval.

Pic: Getting masked one by one. Note the aero shot rubbing paste tube as well.

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-p1110326.jpg

Then used a stencil cutter knife to cut out extra tape over the edges of the blue logo.

Pic: Cutting off the excess. Painting materials and other mess in the background.

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-p1110328.jpg

Then took them up to the same terrace room and sprayed on some coats of the left over Com-paint and Com-Merge.

Let them dry overnight and after 24 hours, I begin peeling off the masking tape.

Pic: Peeling off the masking tape.

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-p1110332.jpg

Realised later that the paint had managed to scrape through the masking tape and had created a rough surface on the central blue logo. Some rubbing with turpentine (NC Thinner) removed it.

So the hub caps were ready.

Pic: The final result! Not that you can find any difference as compared to this earlier pic

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-p1110336.jpg

They looked nice, not significantly better than before. But the colour shade matched perfectly. And because of the paint, they had a slight matte finish as compared to the glossy ones earlier!

Now when that was done. I had to get them back on to the wheels.

It was now I realised that the caps tend to spin freely (now a little friction-ed because of the added layers of paint) on the alloys, losing the visual alignment. Closer inspection of the wheel revealed a tiny notch that would seat a half pin from the cap and restrict it from revolving freely.

Pic: The Notch!

Name:  Notch.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  327.1 KB

This notch, coincides with the screwdriver notch to take off the spring loaded hub-cap and also the valve tube on the rim.

Inspecting the hub caps revealed that the half-pin on the plastic that seats into the notch was missing from all 4 caps. It was clearly broken. Seems to be done by care-a-damn Ford Service Station guys or Tyre Shop guys in a hurry to fix back the cap without matching the notch and hence bending/breaking the pin.

So I had to do something. Some searching in my junk (tools actually) bin revealed some soft plastic tubing that was the exact diameter of the pin. Cut a 15 mm length, a slot and fixed it on the spring under the cap.

Pic: Plastic tubing made to work like a pin.

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-p1110338.jpg

Fixed it on to the alloy aligning the pin and it stayed there. Efforts to spin the cap inside the alloy wheel were resisted (of course excessive force would cause the soft pipe to bend away and let the cap turn. But this is something that would not happen naturally on a spinning wheel! Only manual intervention would be needed ).

Pic: Plastic pipe placement on a couple of caps

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-p1110339.jpg

So that finally ended my DIY, with some badly needed and some not actually needed tasks!
Old 18th November 2009, 17:51   #39
BHPian

Default Completed Work Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinu View Post
Outstanding work Giffy. I am DIY guy and just loved the way you went about doing it. You have encouraged to post one of DIY jobs in such detail. Will record it next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
Great job glifford. nothign beats the satisfaction of a DIY.

I too have been frust looking at the scratched alloys on my lancer. however I m too lazy.
Hopefully your enthu is contageous and I will try this DIY myself.

Very well documented.
Rated 5 Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
Awesome is the only word I have Glifford! Your work and your write-up is impeccable.
Thanks guys! If this thread can motivate anyone to do or document their DIYs, the purpose is met Thanks for the ratings too Leadf00t!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post
giffy... great work.. One thing i would like to add is the use of sanding blocks to the list. This will ensure that there are no flat spots especially in the tight corners when you were sanding the putty/bondo/body filler.

A very detailed and well done DIY job.
Thanks JRD. By sanding blocks I guess you mean a block of wood wrapped with sand/emery paper. Yes, a good suggestion. Could have used that for the flat areas. But for the curved areas, not sure if it would help. And for those with more detailed alloys, it's gonna be tough. Nothing can beat some skill!

Anyway what is a post without the complete picture. So posting some final pics here, after getting a new set of Goodyear Assurance 205/60R15 91V tyres.

Pic: Looking Left

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-14.jpg

Pic: Looking Right

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-13.jpg

The ones above are before I painted the hub caps. These are after I painted the hub caps.

Pic: Rear Right Wheel

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-22.jpg

Pic: Front Right Wheel

DIY: Ford Fusion+ OE Alloy Wheel Restoration-26.jpg

For a complete set of pics, click here.
Old 18th November 2009, 17:54   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Phew, oh boy you do get some big Keedas for DIYs

Not that I can find major difference but it does look nice
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 19:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

Great stuff Glifford!
I don't know if you have already done it, but I suggest some hard clear coat layer (laquor?)sprayed in the end. Also would it help to bake it like they do in some paint shops?
Do you plan to touch the any scratches on the car as well? I know 'spot' painting is a highly specialed skill, otherwise the patch tends to stand out.
Car is really looking good now.

Last edited by Guna : 18th November 2009 at 19:58.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 18:26   #42
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Great stuff Glifford!
I don't know if you have already done it, but I suggest some hard clear coat layer (laquor?)sprayed in the end. Also would it help to bake it like they do in some paint shops?
Thanks Guna! As I had mentioned earlier here on this thread, the kind of paint I used is not exactly clear coat friendly. Their FAQ Section on their website clearly states:

Quote:
-> Can spray lacquers be put over enamels?
Lacquers have a tendency to lift or raise some enameled surfaces. Spray lacquers will work over most baked enamels. Test carefully in an inconspicuous area before proceeding.
Actually I did quite a bit of research on professionals doing this job before I decided to take the DIY route, but couldn't find anyone who sounded reliable enough to take it up. I am sure a professional job would mean better paints and some time curing in the oven. But no one had the expertise (or so it seemed). So I thought that their experiment would be as good as my DIY. Added advantage is if it fails, I can do it again learning from my mistakes or get it done professionally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Do you plan to touch the any scratches on the car as well? I know 'spot' painting is a highly specialed skill, otherwise the patch tends to stand out.
Car is really looking good now.
I had planned to do it. But then again there are hardly any on the painted metal. You had really maintained the car very well . The only (very minor) dent (which I added) is on the rear hatch when a stupid rickshaw cornered me in a tight right turn somewhere in Thavarekere village! That too still has the paint on. The rest of the scratches are minor and being silver (highly reflective) they are hardly noticeable.

When doing the wheels, I thought of using the skill I gained on the body. But now I feel is not needed. Minor scratches on plastic (bumpers) are touched up by the service station using a brush and paint.

Credit definitely goes to the way you have looked after the car, both outside and inside!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Phew, oh boy you do get some big Keedas for DIYs

Not that I can find major difference but it does look nice
Thanks Techno!

You cannot find any major difference because there is NO major difference . I just had this urge/itch to paint the hub caps as it would give me a mental satisfaction of completing the work I started off, in some respects!

Last edited by Glifford : 25th November 2009 at 18:30. Reason: Moved the Smileys around!
Old 30th December 2009, 15:11   #43
BHPian

That's a very clean and very well documented DIy mate. I'll be troubling you when I start doing something like this to my wheels
kingofmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 16:04   #44
BHPian

very impressive! I've used Com paint on the car itself - quite successfully. Don't think I can document it as effectively as you have. Really neat job! Most of my patches were minor scratches not requiring putty. So the question for you is if the putty mentioned is available at any paint shop? I also had difficulty procuring 1000 grit water proof emery paper. Did you have any trouble with this? Where did you make these purchases?
triedeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 16:42   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
That's a very clean and very well documented DIy mate. I'll be troubling you when I start doing something like this to my wheels
Thanks King! Trouble me anytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
very impressive! I've used Com paint on the car itself - quite successfully. Don't think I can document it as effectively as you have. Really neat job!
Thanks! I will need tips from you on how to effectively use Com-Paint on the car without leaving patches! Is it easy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
Most of my patches were minor scratches not requiring putty. So the question for you is if the putty mentioned is available at any paint shop? I also had difficulty procuring 1000 grit water proof emery paper. Did you have any trouble with this? Where did you make these purchases?
The putty is easily available. Any decent hardware/paint shop should have it. A definite bet is any Asian Paints Colour World.

Even the emery paper should be available at any decent hardware/paint shop. I got it in the second try. Again Asian Paints Colour World is a good bet! Costs just Rs. 10 a sheet!