Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 10th October 2009, 19:15   #61
Senior - BHPian

Mr. Ishaan is conspicous by his absence !! Any comments Ishaan ?? Actually I think this topic is best left rested.

Ironic as it may sound - we are all excited about a well priced SUV, but then the price of a single tyre totally spoils the party !

Let the people who buy the vehicle worry about it. Why are we getting in this debate. Fact is a fact - no amount of debate can change that - I rest my case !!

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 19:50   #62
BHPian

We all seem to be missing one crucial point. The cost price of a part to a customer is very different from the cost price a company pays for OEM. We recently calculated that a Maruti 800 just in parts costs upward of 6lakhs!

The batteries and tyre prices companies pay are way...way below the market price. In many cases there is a deal with the manufacturers of these equipment since their being OEM means they will be bought again by customers after a fixed period (battery 2 years and tyres around 3-4 years).

Also, it is no hidden fact that companies sell vehicles cheap and make money on service and parts.

So, the price for OEM tyres is irrelevant. As an informed consumer, all it matters is how you deal with this situation and get the best out of it.
Hoopoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 01:46   #63
BHPian

There is enough and more evidence provided by various members (not just Suman) that the price of Rs. 40K is established. We all are debating abt the rationality of the price.

I fair to understand why is 4 X 4addict getting personal and offensive here. I dont see any need for that.
WanderNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 15:47   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Guys, it's 40k per tyre - it is absolutely senseless; I cannot figure out what Toyota were thinking when they put these Dunlops as OE.

The Fortuner could have been priced at least 1.5 lacs lower if shod on Bridgestones or Yokos?
You're making an incorrect assumption here Suman in the sense that Toyota is going to buy the tyres at a price anywhere close to the retail price declared by them. If we take a figure of around 10k per tyre as being the retail price (BS/Yoko options are priced at this point for the same size) then Toyota would have had at most 5k a piece for the tyre and the rest of the cost would be shipping, storage charges and markup for the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
While on the subject, let me tell you that its not uncommon that imported tyres cost the earth. Allow me to give you a live example - the Camry uses Imported Dunlop tyres as OE. Do you know how much each tyre costs at the Dealer? Rs 30,340 inclusive of all taxes. Don't believe me? Call up your nearest dealer, ask to be connected to the Store & check (provided they have it in stock).
That is true and I confirmed that with a tyre industry professional. Yoko India sells the same Camry tyre for around 7k or so.

An interesting point that came up in my discussion was what was Toyota planning to do since Dunlop is not present in India. And not only is the availability of tyres is going to be a problem but also there would be no after sales support. So if one of your Fortuner tyres develops a bulge or a mnaufacturing defect then getting it serviced or looked at is going to be a royal pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You know when Fortuner came with 17" rims I was very dissappointed. Why? Because its hard to find 17" tires in the market. 16" and 15" AT tires are most common.
Not true Tanveer, both Michelin & Yokohama offer quite a few sizes in 17" for SUV's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
I would like to assume that Toyota got a terrific deal from Dunlop to get their initial consignment. Out of 18.5L 2L cannot go for tyres. I have a problem to believe this.
You're right sir, there is no way they paid more than 25-30k for a set of 5 tyres at the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Mr. Ishaan is conspicous by his absence !! Any comments Ishaan ??
Noted above sir!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 18:08   #65
Senior - BHPian

Finally the tire guru is here.you probably were busy at some "tire gyan" discourse.or maybe enjoying the show here.but never the less so its finally settled that the tire is for approx 10k a piece and is available in a few brands too.

By the way that is really a very thought over reply.looks like you went over it quite a few times .very unlike the tire guru.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 16:09   #66
BHPian

Hello All,

I checked up the same with my Customer Service Devision of TKM, a new tyre made by dunlop for the Fortuner which is not available in open market costs 12,500. Closed sources from channels say that Dunlop is making a killing out of it.

Regards
Andy
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 18:21   #67
BHPian

Hi,

I checked the sme with our channels. A fortuner tyre costs 12500+taxes. Dunlop is not available outside and has to be ordered thru' the dealer only.

Andy
Old 16th October 2009, 13:39   #68
BANNED

I remember a lot of discussions happened between BHPians regarding the cost of the Fortuner dunlop grandtrek tyres .However as per the recent information

Earlier retail cost :-Rs 41,843.00
Revised Price: - 14,540.00

Surprised on the 65% reduction
motor spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 23:48   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor spirit View Post
I remember a lot of discussions happened between BHPians regarding the cost of the Fortuner dunlop grandtrek tyres .However as per the recent information

Earlier retail cost :-Rs 41,843.00
Revised Price: - 14,540.00

Surprised on the 65% reduction
What is earlier retail cost info based on?
My info source is the company itself

Andy
Old 18th October 2009, 12:24   #70
BANNED

its based on the initial tyre retail cost as communicated to the dealers till 30th sept 2009 & the new prices effectve from 1 oct

Last edited by motor spirit : 18th October 2009 at 12:26.
motor spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 16:17   #71
BHPian

Gosh, somebody from Toyoto/Dunlop had been following this thread and finally gave a wiser thought on its pricing

Last edited by Eddy : 18th October 2009 at 16:39. Reason: Not more than 2 smilies allowed. Thanks
Turbo Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 16:19   #72
BANNED

Looks like the Fortuner is indeed superb value for money!
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 00:25   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor spirit View Post
its based on the initial tyre retail cost as communicated to the dealers till 30th sept 2009 & the new prices effectve from 1 oct
Motor Spirit,

Can you please be more specific? 'Who' communicated initial tyre cost to dealers? As far as my info, the tyres are not available outside(Dunlop) and if additional tyres are required,same has to be placed thru' dealers who will put an indent to the company. Ofcourse prices may vary state to state based on various parametres like Sales Tax/CST/VAT/Entry tax/Octroi etc.

Yes Hrag, Fortuner is value for money,thats why Toyota has 14,642 bookings allindia. And stopped the booking 1st Sep onwards.

Andy
Old 30th April 2012, 22:34   #74
BHPian

Default Re: 40K for a Fortuner tyre!

Just went to replace my fortuner's shoes today. Found a few tyres like yokos, dunlop, appolo hawkz, bs.

yoko's were priced at Rs 13850.

Which is the best one for the fortuner?
Is yokohama worth it?
tharakan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 00:38   #75
BHPian

Default Re: 40K for a Fortuner tyre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Although switching to Michelin or Yoko right after delivery of a Fortuner seems logical, it would not be viable as such. Tyre shops won't really give you 10-12k even though the tyre is virtually new, let alone 40k. There would be out-of-pocket expenses as stories like Dunlop is not as reputed and hard to re-sell,etc would crop up from shop owners.

Which of these tyres provide the most comfortable ride?
Did anyone obtain an answer to Sahil's last question above over the years? I'm exploring whether any tire change from the Grand Trek's will give a more comfortable ride to a Fortuner-AT (making it more like a sedan on city roads. Please note, I am asking about increasing ride comfort on city roads, not while offroading).
RoadFiend is offline   Reply With Quote