Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2008, 03:26   #316
Team-BHP Support
 
aah78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC / BOM
Posts: 3,559
Thanked: 1,533 Times
Lightbulb front or rear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Michelin's advisory and give your opinion.
I think rks, razor4077 & kpzen have pretty much laid out the safest options you have.

What I don't agree with, is what your dealers recommend and the Michelin pamphlet.

Your car is FWD.
Consider this -> if you put on new tyres on the rear axle and old balding ones on the front axle, and (for whatever reason) you go into a spin - where's the control? Not from the rear (because your car's FWD), and definitely not from the front (because your front tyres are bald).

Putting on two new tyres on the rear axle would make sense (sort-of), if your car were RWD.
However, though you will have rear traction (because the rear wheels are driven), you still have no steering traction (because the front wheels are bald).

Michelin spends a million dollars in research on tyres while I use my ears, a free internet connection and Google - so they're probably better of in the information department than I am - but I still don't agree with what they're recommending here.
aah78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2008, 10:08   #317
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 312
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
I think rks, razor4077 & kpzen have pretty much laid out the safest options you have.

What I don't agree with, is what your dealers recommend and the Michelin pamphlet.

Your car is FWD.
Consider this -> if you put on new tyres on the rear axle and old balding ones on the front axle, and (for whatever reason) you go into a spin - where's the control? Not from the rear (because your car's FWD), and definitely not from the front (because your front tyres are bald).

Putting on two new tyres on the rear axle would make sense (sort-of), if your car were RWD.
However, though you will have rear traction (because the rear wheels are driven), you still have no steering traction (because the front wheels are bald).

Michelin spends a million dollars in research on tyres while I use my ears, a free internet connection and Google - so they're probably better of in the information department than I am - but I still don't agree with what they're recommending here.
Dear
Putting new tyres has lot of sense and it is irrespective of drive(front or rear)
try to find out videos on youtube(search "where to put new tyres" you will get your answer.
itzzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2008, 13:25   #318
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 149 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Your car is FWD.
Consider this -> if you put on new tyres on the rear axle and old balding ones on the front axle, and (for whatever reason) you go into a spin - where's the control? Not from the rear (because your car's FWD), and definitely not from the front (because your front tyres are bald).
Aah - Consider this, you have a FWD car & have new tyres at the front & worn out tyres at the back. The front end has excellent grip & if you end up taking a corner too fast or drive quickly in the wet the end to lose grip first would be the rear, right?

Now if that happens the car beings to oversteer, right? Whereas if the new tyre were at the rear you would have better grip on the rear end & in the same scenario as above the car will understeer.

This is much more preferred as we all know understeer is much more easier to control for the average driver compared to oversteer. Hence the suggestion to mount new tyres on the rear axle in FWD cars.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 05:09   #319
BHPian
 
Xehaust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 845
Thanked: 74 Times
Default

It does not make a difference whether it is a FWD or RWD,
As michelin says, you have to mount new tyres at the back.

You steer from the front so if your old, front wheels loose control, you will realise and countersteer accordingly.
But if your old, rear wheels loose control, you will realise very late and you cant countersteer back wheels, now can you?

Here are two links:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/766056-post113.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/794824-post128.html

Last edited by Xehaust : 29th April 2008 at 05:13.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 14:41   #320
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 149 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
But if your old, rear wheels loose control, you will realise very late and you cant countersteer back wheels, now can you?
One ca but not everyone can. You have to be an accomplished & an expert driver to know what you're doing to control an oversteering car. Needless to say it's dangerous & most people can't control it.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 19:22   #321
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: dekhi
Posts: 52
Thanked: 2 Times
Default santro 2002: fuel efficient new tubeless tires?

hi guys,
I need some advice on some new tires I'm planning on purchasing.

I'm planning to buy new alloys + new tubeless tires for my Santro LS 2002 model (right now I have stock bridgestone tires). Now, I drive 60-65 kms everyday (to and fro from work), so it is very important that I need fuel economy.

Could someone shed some light which tires I should go for in this situation ? A lot of people have mentioned Michelin XM1+, do they give jump in fuel efficiency. Also, should I upsize to 165/65 or should I get the 155 tires?

thanks in advance!

Last edited by aah78 : 7th May 2008 at 21:47. Reason: Merged with existing thread.
silverbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 21:25   #322
BHPian
 
Aashutosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mira Road, Thane
Posts: 32
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Tyres For My Santro

hi guys,

i own a santro 2001 model. I had to recently change the front set of tyres. It was a sort of urgency, so nearest shop was of JK Tyres and I opted for a set of JK Tyres.

Now I wish too change other set of tyres as well, however this time I am planning to buy set of Bridgestone tyres as I have heard a lot about them.

My question is if I can now fix JK Tyres to rear and Bridgestone tyres in front.

Also Iwould like to know if its ok to have tyres of different tyres co, else I will have to buy JK Tyres once again.

Please help. Thanks.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th May 2008 at 21:47. Reason: Merged with existing thread.
Aashutosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 22:11   #323
Team-BHP Support
 
aah78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC / BOM
Posts: 3,559
Thanked: 1,533 Times
Lightbulb tyre-talk.

@ittzme: You're right - new tyres are preferable to the old baldies - I'm just saying that I prefer replacing all 4 tyres if more than 2 are bald.
@irags & Xehaust: I see your point of view - not entirely convinced just yet, but new schools of thought have opened up! .

Meditate on this, I will.
aah78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 00:04   #324
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 149 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbyte View Post
Could someone shed some light which tires I should go for in this situation ? A lot of people have mentioned Michelin XM1+, do they give jump in fuel efficiency. Also, should I upsize to 165/65 or should I get the 155 tires?
Silver - Since FE is your prime requirement, stick to 155/70 i.e. the stock size. Also, fitting Michelin's/Yoko's or any other brand tyres will NOT bring about a NOTICEABLE difference in FE.

Sure, there might be an increase in FE but it'll mostly be very negligible & not noticeable unless you religiously calculate your fuel consumption down to decimal points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashutosh View Post
My question is if I can now fix JK Tyres to rear and Bridgestone tyres in front.

Also I would like to know if its ok to have tyres of different tyres co, else I will have to buy JK Tyres once again.
Well if will be better if you let the JK''s remain in the front & fit the new tyres in the back. This way the JK's will also wear out slightly faster so you can replace them & have 4 tyres of the same company.

Also, it's fine to have tyres of two different companies as long as you make sure that on either axle (front or rear) the tyres are of the same brand. You do not want a situation where your Front left is a Bridgestone & your front right is a JK. Having same tyres on both rear or front wheels is fine.

P.S. Instead of Bridgestone I would recommend you consider Michelin/Yokohama/Apollo, they are better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Meditate on this, I will.
May the force be with you young Super Vader!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 14:30   #325
Senior - BHPian
 
razor4077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,862
Thanked: 236 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Silver - Since FE is your prime requirement, stick to 155/70 i.e. the stock size.
I haven't seen any appreciable drop in FE with a +1 upsize, i.e, 165/65/13. Any possible fractions you do lose on FE is well worth it IMHO, given the huge difference this size makes to the handling and stability of a Santro.
My 2 cents.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 17:49   #326
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: dekhi
Posts: 52
Thanked: 2 Times
Default price check

hi guys,
thanks for the awesome info. Im getting HR alloys for 12000 (set of 4) and Yokohama (dealer was unsure about model #) for 2650 and Michelin XM1 for 2600.

This is in New Delhi - does this sound like a reasonable price? I would have ideally wanted to go for alloys upto 10K bucks - any suggestions?

thanks
silverbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 11:03   #327
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 312
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbyte View Post
hi guys,
thanks for the awesome info. Im getting HR alloys for 12000 (set of 4) and Yokohama (dealer was unsure about model #) for 2650 and Michelin XM1 for 2600.

This is in New Delhi - does this sound like a reasonable price? I would have ideally wanted to go for alloys upto 10K bucks - any suggestions?

thanks
Some problem with the prices...
where did you check them from?
YOKO should be around 2400 and Michelin around 2500.
itzzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 11:10   #328
Senior - BHPian
 
vkochar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Delhi / Agra / London
Posts: 2,030
Thanked: 207 Times
Default

Michelin XM1 155 size would be about 2600 per tyre. I paid 10400 for 4 tyres Michelin's 6 months back. got a free Reebok Tracksuit with it at that time.

Yokos are slightly expensive I think. But they got an offer going at this time, get a pen drive free and something else also. Check these offer out mate. Dealers never give these away until persuaded.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 10:47   #329
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,505
Thanked: 1,449 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Yokos are slightly expensive I think. But they got an offer going at this time, get a pen drive free and something else also. Check these offer out mate. Dealers never give these away until persuaded.
Varun.
Most of the Yoko tyres are cheaper than Michelins.

@ Silver
Which yoko model are u getting for your Santro?
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 12:40   #330
aZa
Senior - BHPian
 
aZa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Noida / Delhi
Posts: 1,595
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

yoko A539 in 165/65/13 should be around 2200-2400

and in 175/60/13 should be around 2500-2800, If you buy with bill/warranty i think u will get a Yokohama backpack free.
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheels & Tyres : Speed Tyres (Kochi) Soccerfan Other Cities 11 27th March 2015 12:36
Upgrading from santro - clash of the titans - Innova vs Safari Makesh What Car? 46 15th January 2010 14:55
One question about tyres of Old Santro and New Santro Xing DDGuy Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 5 12th November 2008 13:35
Santro Limited Edition alloy wheels and tyres for sale: Sankar Shifting gears 3 23rd July 2007 16:20
upgrading tyres and alloys for swift vxi in chennai ravisak Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 8 9th September 2006 20:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks