Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2011, 21:21   #646
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 361
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro

RJFM

I replaced my stock Santro tyres a few days ago with Yoko A-Drive 165/65 R13.

Stock tyres had done 50k, and I did not want to run them any longer.

If you go through this thread, the preferred tyre would be 155/70 R13 Michelin XM1+, but they last around 30k+ only.
MuraliR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 19:09   #647
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 97
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
RJFM

I replaced my stock Santro tyres a few days ago with Yoko A-Drive 165/65 R13.

Stock tyres had done 50k, and I did not want to run them any longer.

If you go through this thread, the preferred tyre would be 155/70 R13 Michelin XM1+, but they last around 30k+ only.
Hi MuraliR,

Any idea how many KM's will the Yoko A drive that you have will last.

I am looking to upgrade but hearing different versions, Michelin XM1+ if the most sort set as you said, also hearing that bridgestone is also good.


Thanks
zaveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 20:59   #648
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 361
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro

zaveed, Nikhil would be the best person to guide you on actual numbers.

Michelin are comfort oriented.

On an average, I drive between 10-12k kms a year, so even assuming the tyres wear out in 30k kms, the car too would have lived its life.
MuraliR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 22:39   #649
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 97
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro

Hi Nikhil,

I am running my 4 year old Santro on the OEM tyres , have to chnage the tyres right now.Planning to get the alloys also done at the same time. After reading through the forums looks like 165/65 would be a safe bet for upgrade.

Allloys : which would be the best to buy , plati , HR or if any other good brand.
Tyres : Michelin MK1+, Yokohoma, Apprentice or bridgestone.

on an average 300 kms per month would be on bad roads, approx 400 kms city and 400 kms highway.what set of alloys Tyres would best suit my need.

Thanks
zaveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 01:24   #650
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,770
Thanked: 4,224 Times
Default Re: Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaveed View Post
Hi MuraliR,

Any idea how many KM's will the Yoko A drive that you have will last.

I am looking to upgrade but hearing different versions, Michelin XM1+ if the most sort set as you said, also hearing that bridgestone is also good.


Thanks
Yoko A Drives typically last 40k and above. However, people have got lesser mileage on it. Sachinj12 says his A drives wont last more than 30k. Check the A drives review thread.

XM1+ is a very good tyre but very expensive. It will also last 35-40k kms.
Nikhilb2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 09:23   #651
BHPian
 
Soccerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kochi
Posts: 591
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro

My A-drives lasted only 32K kms in my Punto (maybe bcoz its a heavier car)
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 09:52   #652
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,652
Thanked: 1,375 Times
Default Re: Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
My A-drives lasted only 32K kms in my Punto (maybe bcoz its a heavier car)
Soccerfan; also depends on driving style and roads taken. From my experience, cars that does frequent trips on MC road, Idukki ( high range roads/areas) get lower life.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 15:58   #653
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 97
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Yoko A Drives typically last 40k and above. However, people have got lesser mileage on it. Sachinj12 says his A drives wont last more than 30k. Check the A drives review thread.

XM1+ is a very good tyre but very expensive. It will also last 35-40k kms.
Hi Nikhil,

i checked with Ashoka wheels here in hyd, and he quoted a prices of Rs 3550 for Michelin XM1+, is that a good price? and also will 165/65 be good or shall i stick to 155/70.

Thanks
Zaveed
zaveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 16:49   #654
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,075
Thanked: 186 Times
Default Re: Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro

I am not aware of the best prices you could get in Hyderabad, but wanted to give my thumbs up for the 165/65 profile. Go ahead with it, it's a recommended upgrade on the Santro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaveed View Post
Hi Nikhil,

i checked with Ashoka wheels here in hyd, and he quoted a prices of Rs 3550 for Michelin XM1+, is that a good price? and also will 165/65 be good or shall i stick to 155/70.

Thanks
Zaveed
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 18:13   #655
BHPian
 
Soccerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kochi
Posts: 591
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Soccerfan; also depends on driving style and roads taken. From my experience, cars that does frequent trips on MC road, Idukki ( high range roads/areas) get lower life.
That could be one reason. but its a real good tyre. Absolute VFM
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 11:50   #656
BHPian
 
xander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 85
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaveed View Post
Hi Nikhil,

I am running my 4 year old Santro on the OEM tyres , have to chnage the tyres right now.Planning to get the alloys also done at the same time. After reading through the forums looks like 165/65 would be a safe bet for upgrade.
You can also check out Yoko A539. The handling is very good and it is also a very good looker thanks to the assymetric pattern.

From my experience, 175/60 is the maximum safe size you can go for Santro. My previous set was 185/60. Even though it looked gorgeous, I had problems with the rear tyres scraping on the wheel well. The Santro's bouncy suspension also did not help much.

I have had no problems with 175/60.
xander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 11:59   #657
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 97
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
You can also check out Yoko A539. The handling is very good and it is also a very good looker thanks to the assymetric pattern.

From my experience, 175/60 is the maximum safe size you can go for Santro. My previous set was 185/60. Even though it looked gorgeous, I had problems with the rear tyres scraping on the wheel well. The Santro's bouncy suspension also did not help much.

I have had no problems with 175/60.
Hi Xander,

Thank you for the details, but i got the alloys and tyres yesterday.

Went for Plati alloys and Michellin XM1+ 165/65. When i spoke to the dealer to about 175/60 he was saying that it might touch the sidewalls of the body so did not wanted to get into that.

Will update the pics on the weekend.

Thanks
Zaveed
zaveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 15:29   #658
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,075
Thanked: 186 Times
Default Re: Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro

Congrats mate!

Do put up the prices for the alloys & the tyres as well, when you put up the pictures.

Drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaveed View Post
Hi Xander,

Thank you for the details, but i got the alloys and tyres yesterday.

Went for Plati alloys and Michellin XM1+ 165/65. When i spoke to the dealer to about 175/60 he was saying that it might touch the sidewalls of the body so did not wanted to get into that.

Will update the pics on the weekend.

Thanks
Zaveed
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 16:35   #659
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 97
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Congrats mate!

Do put up the prices for the alloys & the tyres as well, when you put up the pictures.

Drive safe.
Thank You Blackfire_9,

Alloys : Rs 11200 Set of 4

Michellin XM1+ 165/65 : Rs 3450

Hweel Balancing and Alignment : Rs 600

Find below the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-dsc03292.jpg  

Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-dsc03293.jpg  

Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-dsc03295.jpg  

zaveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2012, 13:29   #660
BHPian
 
gjiyap1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 80
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro

Just reading the whole thread, i can see recommendations on upgrade. My bad, was not watching this place for a while !.

With my 3rd hand purchase few months back - recently had to change the tyres (the original tyres - clocked 34k by previous owners & me driving another 2k, started getting steering wobbling - hence the change !).

The Wheel wares in chennai - recommended for Bridgestone AR10 155/70. It is indeed going good. Though am not too technical, but felt a great difference on new tyres.

But, here is the question - last few days, am sort of feeling a rough drive - not too loud, but it is not the same smooth feel as i felt - immediately on replacement. Is it me (or my lack of machine knowledge) or is there something i should be checking ?.

Also, the stepney - is hardly used. And there is a saying - any unused is more or less useless !. Any thoughts ?
gjiyap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheels & Tyres : Speed Tyres (Kochi) Soccerfan Other Cities 11 27th March 2015 12:36
Upgrading from santro - clash of the titans - Innova vs Safari Makesh What Car? 46 15th January 2010 14:55
One question about tyres of Old Santro and New Santro Xing DDGuy Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 5 12th November 2008 13:35
Santro Limited Edition alloy wheels and tyres for sale: Sankar Shifting gears 3 23rd July 2007 16:20
upgrading tyres and alloys for swift vxi in chennai ravisak Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 8 9th September 2006 20:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks