Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 27th December 2009, 18:03   #31

The NHC is pretty Ok in city driving with practically any tyre, I guess - in any case the travel is all sub-50 kmph (mostly sub-30 kmph!) - NHC handles well in these conditions. On the highway, the very first time I took the NHC out, two years ago, with the OE fitted Goodyears, I had very scary experiences on the first high speed curve, as there was severe tail drift and loss of traction on cornering - around 80 km/h - I got so scared I slowed down below 40km till I hit the next town, where I had the tyre pressures brought down. Even then, till now, I had little confidence either in the NHC's ability to handle high-speed highway runs, nor in the Goodyears.

I have just today returned after a four day trip to Bangalore & Coorg (Virajpet), immediately after fitting Michelins, replacing my old Goodyears. The difference in the vehicle handling is simply amazing, I just cannot describe it. Most of the journey was on superb expressways (over 120/130 kmph most times) and some part of the last lap was through a reserve forest road (near Virajpet) with non-existent roads at some patches, deep craters, etc. The handling in all cases was simply superb, I was actually to corner at over 100 km/h on most expressway curves with complete control, road holding was amazing, the entire car's road manners had improved dramatically. There was no tyre noise, no sqeal even on hard cornering or hard braking. Steering control was precise - "point & shoot"! The vehicle just felt anchored to the road, I am simply floored!! I have fallen in love with my car again!! I should have changed the tyres earlier. My family members have got quite fed up with me raving about the tyres!!
I have taken lots of photos and route notes (Chennai - Bangalore - Coorg)and hope to put up a travelogue in a couple of days.
Happy New Year to all fellow BHP-ians!!
sekharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 21:26   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

The NHC is actually pretty good for a car with a lousy steering and very soft comfort oriented suspension. You just need a good set of tyres. I've been able to do some crazy stuff on my dad's NHC Vtec with Advan Neovas in 195/60 R14. Simply unbelieveable. Of course, this "testing" was done on an almost closed road with ZERO traffic.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 22:24   #33

Wow nice to hear you had a good trip. Isn't it raining this time of the year? I'll be driving to Chennai tomorrow for a day trip. On my Alto, running JKs.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote