Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2009, 16:58   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gangtok, Sikkim
Posts: 249
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Tyre Upgrade for Innova- Is 205/75-15 ok?

Hello Tyre Gurus,

I'm going in for the Innova Vx and yesterday I had started a thread in the What Car? section and had put in a lot of different queries about tyres, music system, loans etc. Didn't get much response so I'm posting individual queries in related sections.

In 2005, when I got my Baleno, I followed Ur advices and upgraded my tyres to 195/60-14 Ducaros with very satisfactory results. Now for the Innova I'm confused.

1) The V version comes with the Alloys marked as "City" in the Toyota website- Accessories-Exterior. I prefer the other one listed as "Rugged" shown just below in the same accessories section.

See below-

Toyota - Innova

Would Toyota agree if i requested them to provide my vehicle with this set of Alloy wheels as O.E?

2) About the Tyre Upgrade-In this part of the country, Ground Clearance is a major deal. This is one of the main reasons i was keen on a Safari and the only reason why we bought a Fusion for home this month. Basically, out here, we need Ground Clearance- the more the merrier.

The Innova comes with 205/65-15 tyres and the GC of the vehicle is 176mm. Most of the experts here recommend upsizing to 225/60-15. According to my calculations this would only increase the clearance by 1.75mm.
I asked the Toyota dealer here and he said that putting 225 section tyres would result in Suspension problems over a period of time and they won't give me warranty on suspension if i insist on upsizing this big.

Instead they recommend 205/75r15 for increased Ground clearance. My friend's Innova has this set-up and it seems to work just fine. But according to my calculation, the GC goes up majorly to 196.5mm. Wouldn't the overall stability and the suspension suffer because of this?

What size should i upsize to if i want more clearance yet offer good grip and ride quality?

Please Help, Ishaan, KpZen and other experts..

Puffy.

Last edited by Puffdamgcdragon : 2nd December 2009 at 17:00. Reason: site didn't show up
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 18:41   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,803 Times
Default

Why do you want to increase GC on a car which is already reasonably high? I've never heard of an Innova hitting a speedbreaker.

Just stick to 205/65 R15. Get a good compound of tyre like Michelin, Yoko or Continental and be happy.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 21:38   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
cooldude1988765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,005
Thanked: 106 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Why do you want to increase GC on a car which is already reasonably high? I've never heard of an Innova hitting a speedbreaker.

Just stick to 205/65 R15. Get a good compound of tyre like Michelin, Yoko or Continental and be happy.

Please dont increase the tyre height. It might affect the car's stability and driving dynamics.
The stock size IMO is more than suffecient for the innova.
Get michellin primacy LC and you are set. I paid 6k for 5 tyres (after exchange of OE bridgestone) Make sur you get bridgestone and not goodyear as you will get a better resale value for BS.
I highly doubt if the dealer is going to exchange alloys.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 15:11   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

Quote:
In 2005, when I got my Baleno, I followed Ur advices and upgraded my tyres to 195/60-14 Ducaros with very satisfactory results. Now for the Innova I'm confused.
If I remember correctly you were not happy initially with the car's tinny feel on the roads. Glad to see that it has been a good choice. I have a Baleno too and love it after 65k of hard driving. I also bought an Innova VX in Sep this year.

Quote:
1) The V version comes with the Alloys marked as "City" in the Toyota website- Accessories-Exterior. I prefer the other one listed as "Rugged" shown just below in the same accessories section.

See below-

Toyota - Innova

Would Toyota agree if i requested them to provide my vehicle with this set of Alloy wheels as O.E?
Check with toyota- BTW the "City" design is different from the Original Alloys if you check carefully. The Toyota dealer in hyd offered to change alloys at the shop for Rs 10k for 5 pieces. But after reviewing carefully, I liked the finish on the OE alloys better.

Also, a VX is immediately recognised by its alloys. The moment you put another design, an onlooker might believe it is a G/GX model as they are the ones going in for aftermarket alloys.
Quote:

2) About the Tyre Upgrade-In this part of the country, Ground Clearance is a major deal. This is one of the main reasons i was keen on a Safari and the only reason why we bought a Fusion for home this month. Basically, out here, we need Ground Clearance- the more the merrier.

The Innova comes with 205/65-15 tyres and the GC of the vehicle is 176mm. Most of the experts here recommend upsizing to 225/60-15. According to my calculations this would only increase the clearance by 1.75mm.
I asked the Toyota dealer here and he said that putting 225 section tyres would result in Suspension problems over a period of time and they won't give me warranty on suspension if i insist on upsizing this big.

Instead they recommend 205/75r15 for increased Ground clearance. My friend's Innova has this set-up and it seems to work just fine. But according to my calculation, the GC goes up majorly to 196.5mm. Wouldn't the overall stability and the suspension suffer because of this?

What size should i upsize to if i want more clearance yet offer good grip and ride quality?

Please Help, Ishaan, KpZen and other experts..

Puffy.
[/quote] I upsized to 225/60R15. I have seen an Innova here with 215/75 and the size seems to work just fine. But be prepared to have more body roll and lower body control in general. Innova handles just fine so should not be that big an issue at lower cornering speeds but can get risky at high speeds.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 15:30   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gangtok, Sikkim
Posts: 249
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Thanks for Ur detailed reply, Buffetfan.

Are my calculations below correct?

1) 205/65= 133.25 ( 65% of 205) = 176mm ( Innova's GC)
2) 215/65= 139.75 = +6.5mm = 182.5mm
3) 225/60 = 135 = +1.75mm = 177.75mm ( Most popular Tyre Upgrade on T-bhp)
4) 225/65 = 146.25= +13 = 189mm
5) 205/70 = 143.5 = +10.25 = 186.25mm ( This is the set-up in my friend's car. Not 205/75 as I earlier mistakenly reported. This is recommended by Toyota here and is quite a substantial increase. It seems to be running fine but I'm worrried about Stability issues and also issues with ABS)
6) 215/75 = 161.25 = + a whooping 28mm = 204mm ( The In nova that U saw)

Are these calculations correct?

What is the safest bet for a bit larger contact patch (215?) a bit more GC yet nothing that might interfere with High speed stability thru corners and ABS and Speedo Reading)

What Company Tyres for Wet weather Grip, Good Looks and minimal tyre noise.

Thanks.

Last edited by Puffdamgcdragon : 4th December 2009 at 15:30. Reason: Splng mistake
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 21:52   #6
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,762
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
What is the safest bet for a bit larger contact patch (215?) a bit more GC yet nothing that might interfere with High speed stability thru corners and ABS and Speedo Reading)
225/60 r15 is the best for what you have mentioned. do you really need to raise the gc? and i highly doubt toyota recommends 205/70 r15, it must be your dealership.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 14:51   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 154 Times
Default

Either go to 225/60 or don't bother with the tyres. No point downsizing them for sure.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 21:00   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 24
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Either go to 225/60 or don't bother with the tyres. No point downsizing them for sure.
225/60 R15 is a sure go. i also got myself this size for my innova.If you are feeling that you might go for an occasional off-roading spree, i suggest you take a rugged tread pattern. i got myself a set of nexen 'classe premier' in the size i mentioned and they are amazing on road as well as off it proved it's worth in ladakh

Last edited by DerAlte : 6th December 2009 at 10:37.
rajeevatdelhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB : Single 205/55/15 Tyre + 100 PCD 15" rim s0uljah Shifting gears 6 28th April 2008 11:52
right tyre pressure for dunlop sp9000 205/55 R15 nisheel Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 5 5th March 2008 04:56
Tyre Pressure for Yokohama 205/50/15 on baleno alcam Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 4 28th December 2007 00:38
Wanted - 205/50/15 or 195/55/15 or 185/55/15 tyre razor4077 Shifting gears 0 25th September 2007 01:01
15 inch alloys & tyre 205/50 good year anku Shifting gears 0 3rd February 2007 22:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks